My argument against atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 2 Average
24-08-2013, 06:55 AM
Re: My argument against atheism
No response for my lengthy critiques?

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-08-2013, 07:46 AM
RE: My argument against atheism
(24-08-2013 12:39 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  A bunch of atoms interacting with one another is like when you wash your hands with soap or mix a couple chemicals together.
Your brain isn't that basic of an interaction. It's far more complex and you know it.

You're claiming the brain is not just made of atoms? What else, magic?

Looks like I've stumbled on atheist's kryptonite.
24-08-2013, 08:10 AM
Your "kryptonite" boils down to "I don't understand how a human mind could work when all it is based on is a brain, therefore it must work by magic". That's your best effort?

Some reading before you continue:
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance
* http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 3 users Like Hafnof's post
24-08-2013, 08:15 AM
(24-08-2013 08:10 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  Your "kryptonite" boils down to "I don't understand how a human mind could work when all it is based on is a brain, therefore it must work by magic". That's your best effort?

Some reading before you continue:
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance
* http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Argument_from_ignorance

Take your own advice.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man
24-08-2013, 09:12 AM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2013 09:17 AM by Hafnof.)
I don't think you've actually posted a substantive description of your viewpoint in this thread so perhaps I've missed your point. What point are you trying to make, and what argument do you have to support it? Looking at your article now it's lacking in clarity - it isn't clear there either exactly what you are trying to argue and on what basis. It seems like you are trying to say that matter must be conscious in order for minds to be concious? Why would you believe such a thing when a neural network can be modelled in a computer and for that network, too, to "think"? You also seem to be making some unrelated point about atheism, but I can't see clearly the point you are making there either.

Could you state your claims clearly in a few sentences?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
24-08-2013, 09:47 AM
(24-08-2013 07:46 AM)fullerm Wrote:  You're claiming the brain is not just made of atoms? What else, magic?

I find it extremely hard to believe that you have either not read or not even comprehended any of the extensive criticism already provided you. That does not admit of many charitable interpretations.

All observation suggests consciousness to be an emergent property of sufficiently complicated neurology. This is quite commensurate with increasing systematic complexity as observed to be emergent on biological and chemical levels from basal atomic-level interactions.

Learn something.

Please. For the love of non-existent-God, learn something.

... this is my signature!
26-08-2013, 01:08 AM
(24-08-2013 07:46 AM)fullerm Wrote:  
(24-08-2013 12:39 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  A bunch of atoms interacting with one another is like when you wash your hands with soap or mix a couple chemicals together.
Your brain isn't that basic of an interaction. It's far more complex and you know it.

You're claiming the brain is not just made of atoms? What else, magic?

Ok, maybe you don't know it. I guess I misspoke.

Lets start at the level of the cell

[Image: cell-biology.jpg]
[Image: NucleusModel.jpg]

You should be able to understand how all of this works. After all, it's all just a bunch of atoms.

Once you understand how ONE cell works, then you can come talk to me about how trillions of them form complex structures that we call organs, let alone the MOST incredible organ (the brain) that actually gives rise to consciousness.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
26-08-2013, 06:54 AM
(26-08-2013 01:08 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  
(24-08-2013 07:46 AM)fullerm Wrote:  You're claiming the brain is not just made of atoms? What else, magic?

Ok, maybe you don't know it. I guess I misspoke.

Lets start at the level of the cell

[Image: cell-biology.jpg]
[Image: NucleusModel.jpg]

You should be able to understand how all of this works. After all, it's all just a bunch of atoms.

Once you understand how ONE cell works, then you can come talk to me about how trillions of them form complex structures that we call organs, let alone the MOST incredible organ (the brain) that actually gives rise to consciousness.

How does this in any way prove the brain is composed of something other than just atoms? It doesn't. It's a red herring fallacy you and others here are ridiculously trying to use to deflect attention from the atheist's kryptonite argument. Stop trying to divert attention and deal with the actual argument. The fact that you all have to use these sophist arguments show that you cannot deal with the simple mother of all arguments that proves atheism is pseudo-science tripe.
26-08-2013, 07:08 AM
And "the argument" actually is what exactly...?

[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
26-08-2013, 07:27 AM
Hey Mr Scientist for 9/11 truth Smile Yay. You wrote some random article about absolutely hair-splitting definitions... Well done. Have a peanut.