My argument against atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 2 Average
26-08-2013, 07:31 AM
RE: My argument against atheism
I should have known better than to waste my time giving a lengthy critique.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
26-08-2013, 07:40 AM
(26-08-2013 07:31 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I should have known better than to waste my time giving a lengthy critique.

Hey, remember it's more for the audience than the douche canoe you're arguing against. I appreciated it!

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
26-08-2013, 08:42 AM
(26-08-2013 06:54 AM)fullerm Wrote:  
(26-08-2013 01:08 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Ok, maybe you don't know it. I guess I misspoke.

Lets start at the level of the cell

[Image: cell-biology.jpg]
[Image: NucleusModel.jpg]

You should be able to understand how all of this works. After all, it's all just a bunch of atoms.

Once you understand how ONE cell works, then you can come talk to me about how trillions of them form complex structures that we call organs, let alone the MOST incredible organ (the brain) that actually gives rise to consciousness.

How does this in any way prove the brain is composed of something other than just atoms? It doesn't. It's a red herring fallacy you and others here are ridiculously trying to use to deflect attention from the atheist's kryptonite argument. Stop trying to divert attention and deal with the actual argument. The fact that you all have to use these sophist arguments show that you cannot deal with the simple mother of all arguments that proves atheism is pseudo-science tripe.

Sooo, let me get this straight; I don't know how atoms form into the molecules which comprise cells and make the brain work.

Therefore, this means that your god exists, as demonstrated by my gap of knowledge.
Or am i missing something here, aside from missing the Gap in which deity X hides?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
26-08-2013, 08:51 AM
(26-08-2013 08:42 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  
(26-08-2013 06:54 AM)fullerm Wrote:  How does this in any way prove the brain is composed of something other than just atoms? It doesn't. It's a red herring fallacy you and others here are ridiculously trying to use to deflect attention from the atheist's kryptonite argument. Stop trying to divert attention and deal with the actual argument. The fact that you all have to use these sophist arguments show that you cannot deal with the simple mother of all arguments that proves atheism is pseudo-science tripe.

Sooo, let me get this straight; I don't know how atoms form into the molecules which comprise cells and make the brain work.

Therefore, this means that your god exists, as demonstrated by my gap of knowledge.
Or am i missing something here, aside from missing the Gap in which deity X hides?
No that's a straw man. What you refuse to acknowledge is that a brain is simply atoms interacting with each other. All atheists believe these atomic interactions magically create mental states out of thin air.
26-08-2013, 08:58 AM
(26-08-2013 08:51 AM)fullerm Wrote:  
(26-08-2013 08:42 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Sooo, let me get this straight; I don't know how atoms form into the molecules which comprise cells and make the brain work.

No that's a straw man. What you refuse to acknowledge is that a brain is simply atoms interacting with each other. All atheists believe these atomic interactions magically create mental states out of thin air.

Your strawman is bad and you should feel bad

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
26-08-2013, 09:10 AM
Sorry kid, what are you saying, if brain is made of atoms, where do *you* say the mental shit comes from ? God ? A parallel dimension ? Where didja get this idea that I think it's magic ? Did I tell ya ? You got a magic link into my brain ? How come all you nitwits always tell us what we think ? How about, ya know, asking first ? It'd be sorta... more logical.
26-08-2013, 09:15 AM
Fullerm - please make a drawing of the simple atomic interactions you believe the brain is comprised of

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
26-08-2013, 09:20 AM
You seem not to understand the concept of chemistry. Drinking Beverage

When atoms form compounds, new properties emerge.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
26-08-2013, 09:23 AM
(26-08-2013 08:51 AM)fullerm Wrote:  
(26-08-2013 08:42 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  Sooo, let me get this straight; I don't know how atoms form into the molecules which comprise cells and make the brain work.

And that is the Fallacy Fallacy.

I did not, as far as I can tell, create a Strawman in my poor attempt at reducing your 'argument' from the responded post to absurdity in an attempt to point out it's rather obvious God of the Gaps (Argument from Ignorance) to create humorous irony regarding you calling out Red Herring at Rahn.

With statements like "How does this in any way prove the brain is composed of something other than just atoms? It doesn't. It's a red herring fallacy you and others here are ridiculously trying to use to deflect attention from the atheist's kryptonite argument.", the logical inference is that you are attempting to establish a deity through the fact that we might not be able to explain the first sentence (as per your reference to "atheist's kryptonite"), which is 'Don't know, therefore god' in a nutshell.

I admit that I don't know how 'mental states' come out of the interactions of atoms; I do know that atoms form with other atoms to make heavier atoms and can form molecules by 'binding' with other atoms, which in-turn form more complex structures of molecules, which interact chemically with each other which form other structures capable of receiving external stimuli and can perceive and analyse patterns from outside.
Reduce to the bottom, and build up as the atoms build up as see where things go.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
26-08-2013, 12:59 PM
I've already given you a couple flat pictures of cells to show you what your "bunch of atoms" can form.

Your words seem to say that the brain consists of individual atoms interacting with one another and this is definitely not true.
Are you thinking that the brain is like a large liquid like substance of individual atoms with no structure ?

Here is a video that shows more atoms at work, except these aren't individual atoms, these are complex organic molecules.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post