My best friend casually let me know he'd go all Abraham on my ass

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-07-2013, 03:40 PM
RE: My best friend casually let me know he'd go all Abraham on my ass
Is it possible that he found out you are atheist even though you didnt tell him? History on a shared computer? Books? Friends?

You said he is your brother. Has he been saying these things to others too? Have you tried asking him why he keeps saying this stuff?

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2013, 03:48 PM
Well he doesn't exactly keep saying it, it was just a one time thing (for now). I wanted to talk to him about it today, but I just couldn't pull myself together. We haven't talked since. I intend to ask him about it tomorrow. I like what morondog said, I think I'm going to do it kind of his way.

And I find it unlikely that he found out about my non-belief, simply because I would expect a much more explosive response to it than some random passive-aggressive hypothetical threat.

Although, I "pray" that he did come to the realization I'm an atheist. If he really did take it that well then everything is right with the world, and I guess that was just one of his little outbursts of "faith-authenticity".
12-07-2013, 03:53 PM
I'll admit I don't know what to say.

The mindset is terrifying -- no different really from the lunatics who flew planes into buildings.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
12-07-2013, 05:08 PM
(12-07-2013 03:53 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I'll admit I don't know what to say.

The mindset is terrifying -- no different really from the lunatics who flew planes into buildings.

Seconded.

From where I'm standing it is literally incomprehensible. It's a delusional moral regression to the days of an atavistic might makes right patriarchy - no, scratch that; it's omni-opressive. I can barely marshal a condemnation, beyond my initial reaction of "what is this I don't even".

It's insane. There's no other way to describe it.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
12-07-2013, 05:33 PM
That is just wrong. Brother or not, that shit ain't cool. Religious or not, that shit still ain't cool.

Family members say stupid shit. Non-family members say stupid shit. The religious say stupid shit. The non-religious say stupid shit. It seems he's comfortable enough to share his 'revelation' with you. Maybe the best brotherly love you can give him is to tell him that shit don't fly, as it's as close as you (hopefully) ever got to a death threat in your life. If he has an ounce of common sense, he'll back the hell off with the Abraham crap. If he doesn't, it's proof enough that hanging around him might not be in your best interest. At least 'till the Jesus Fever dies, if it does.

I do not envy your situation. No My condolences on encountering this stupid situation with your friend.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 4 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
12-07-2013, 06:01 PM
There is nothing abnormal in your reaction. This person literally just told you he would kill you if his "god" felt like it.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
12-07-2013, 06:17 PM

Nigga he crazy!

[Image: 9f6.gif]
[+] 3 users Like ELK12695's post
13-07-2013, 01:26 AM
(12-07-2013 06:17 PM)ELK12695 Wrote:  

Nigga he crazy!

This made my day.
[+] 3 users Like atheist_johndoe's post
13-07-2013, 01:31 AM
Thanks guys for your answers. I'm just glad I wasn't the only one who thought it was out of place. I confronted him about it today, and he backed down a little. He said it was a bit much to say that, but that he had good intentions. He said he thought of the analogy with the case of Abraham because the patriarch cared about his son a lot, so god tested his faith by using him.

While I still do not believe what he said was normal, nor do I understand how that story appeals to Christians, I think I somehow remotely understand what he was thinking when he said it, and I believe it's not something I should worry about... for now.
[+] 3 users Like atheist_johndoe's post
13-07-2013, 01:38 AM
(13-07-2013 01:31 AM)atheist_johndoe Wrote:  Thanks guys for your answers. I'm just glad I wasn't the only one who thought it was out of place. I confronted him about it today, and he backed down a little. He said it was a bit much to say that, but that he had good intentions. He said he thought of the analogy with the case of Abraham because the patriarch cared about his son a lot, so god tested his faith by using him.

While I still do not believe what he said was normal, nor do I understand how that story appeals to Christians, I think I somehow remotely understand what he was thinking when he said it, and I believe it's not something I should worry about... for now.

You're right, this situation was totally out of place. Bizarre and kind of creepy, actually. At least he understood your approach well, and backed off the weird statement. In his eyes, he didn't process the creepiness about it when he said it. Call it a scary misinterpretation right now, but if he shows up at your house with an axe in the far future, have a boiling cauldron ready for em. Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like Ferdinand's post