My best friend casually let me know he'd go all Abraham on my ass

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-07-2013, 03:05 PM
RE: My best friend casually let me know he'd go all Abraham on my ass
(16-07-2013 05:01 AM)Filox Wrote:  
(12-07-2013 02:59 PM)atheist_johndoe Wrote:  So this happened. I was just hanging out with my best friend today (who, for all intents and purposes is my brother) when he suddenly told me that if god instructed him to, he would kill me. I was blown away. I mean, how does one properly react to being said something like that?

Should I fear that if someday he starts hearing voices he'll chop off my head in my sleep and bring me as an offering to god?

I'm sorry if this thread seems a little out of place, but I really don't know what to say to him. He doesn't know I don't believe in god, nor do I intend him to find out within the forseeable future.

If you think I'm a whining little bitch, you might be right, so please, don't bother to inform me of it. Thank you.

I like this, so I'm gonna skip the whole 3 pages and answer directly to OP.

Think of this from his perspective. Imagine yourself as a believer in one Creator, God, Almighty. Now imagine that He actually talked to you. No, not voices in your head, real God has spoken and He told you to kill someone. All joking aside, but who, in their right mind, would not listen to GOD when He speaks to you, directly. If a God were to speak to me, I don't really think I would say no to Him. Would you be so brave, that after He destroys your (ours) atheism, after he confirms his existence and then asks something, that you could actually say no to Him? Yeah, right. Also, you do realize that if you do not do it, if you refuse, He will do it anyway, but now you will also be a target... Dangerous and fucked up shit you got yourself into here... Smile

So you see, it's all about the perspective, the eye of the beholder and similar philosophies...

Yeah, I did think about it this way, and while it does make some sense, I don't think I could have done it back when I was a believer. It's like Seth said in one of his shows, he talked about how he discussed this issue with some religious parents, and they said they would have "failed god" had he asked them to kill their child.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-07-2013, 03:20 PM
I'd be a little worried as well. I will say I find it curious that your best friend / brother has no indication of your religious beliefs... Makes me wonder how close he REALLY is. We can all agree there's no concern of "god" actually telling him to smite you but those pesky voices in the head could be troublesome... especially for those who tend to JUMP before actually looking (read: any religious person).

If I were in your shoes, I guess I would want to know the WHY (I ALWAYS want to know the WHY). Why does he think his god would command him to kill you. Why does he think that makes his god "just." What version of god is he referring to... I am assuming the Old Testament "Smite everything that looks at you wrong" god but if he states the new testament dude, I would ask what happened to love thy enemies, turn the other cheek and all that stuff...

Don't know if I'd get too drunk with this friend. A) You might let the truth slip and B) His inhibition would be lowered AND he would be more inclined to hear those pesky voices. As I tell my children, there are over 6 BILLION people in this world, SURELY you can find some more stable friends... just my $0.02.
05-08-2013, 03:42 PM
Well in my opinion, the fact that he doesn't know anything about my current religious beliefs is not really an indicator for how close we really are because of two reasons:
1. My current religious beliefs are relatively new (compared to how long I used to be a Christian for)
2. I have worked really hard, I've done and said some things that I found incredibly hypocritical just to keep this a secret.
Now, when I do plan to come out, he will certainly be the first person to know, I just thought that maybe now isn't the best time of all (because of some reasons I won't get into here).

I've also been really curious about why the religious find this particular story of Abraham so interesting. When I first heard about it as a little kid I immediately thought: "But why would god do that? Did he not give Abraham his son [whose existence was biologically impossible]? Why is he now asking of Abraham to kill his one and only son [except, of course, the one born of fornication]?". Anyway, I guess I'll never really know.
[+] 1 user Likes atheist_johndoe's post
05-08-2013, 06:40 PM
How old is this person?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schizophrenia

Quote:Late adolescence and early adulthood are peak periods for the onset of schizophrenia,[2] critical years in a young adult's social and vocational development.[22] In 40% of men and 23% of women diagnosed with schizophrenia, the condition manifested itself before the age of 19.
05-08-2013, 08:36 PM
All I have to say to you sir Is run a way
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-08-2013, 11:14 AM
Wow, I thought schizophrenia's onset was later in life, geez...
While that particular information does make me worry a little bit (since he's got the right age for it), I hardly believe that a statement like this is a symptom of a mental illness, since I've heard of a lot of people saying it. And, you know: "If so many people believe it, it must be true then, right?".

All joking aside, I'm pretty sure it's not schizophrenia, but I guess I'll live and see...
06-08-2013, 02:24 PM
Not everyone who develops schizophrenia takes an assault rifle into a school and shoots it up. Many are more of a risk to themselves than others.

You have to understand that I do not know him at all; you do. The fact that he is the right age should be troubling if you begin to detect a pattern of what seems to be personality changes. Watch closely and evaluate what you see from what you knew before.
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
06-08-2013, 02:31 PM
I dunno that you have to worry too much about it. This kinda "how far would you go if God told you to" posturing is common among Christians... Of course by all means monitor him for schizophrenia, but bear in mind the null hypothesis that he's just a confused little shit...
17-08-2013, 01:58 PM
tell your dickhead friend that his hollow threat doesn't mean anything in light of the fact that 'god' HAS told him to kill unbelievers and homosexuals and he hasn't done a lot of that. Just more proof that religion fucks people up!
18-08-2013, 10:44 AM
My husband and I were talking about the Abraham story as one of the things that convinced us of atheism. After the birth of my child (now 15), this concept was even more incomprehensible than it had been before that...and I was still a believer at the time of her birth. It was basically hypothetical before I had a child...and after growing her in my womb and cradling her the utter insanity truly hit home in a new way. If there was irrefutable proof of god, and he opened the heavens and told me to kill my child (or even harm her) I would rapidly say "fuck you." Much less would I decide because I "loved" somebody else, sacrificing my own child to "forgive" them for not believing in me.

I'm so happy to be an atheist now and to no longer have to do mental gymnastics around those crazy stories and am embarrassed that I ever believed them. I'm pretty sure I asked my mom after hearing that story..."would you kill me if god told you to?" I have no recollection of what she said. Repression can be a beautiful thing.
[+] 1 user Likes cbenham's post