My biggest question about atheism

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 4.33 Average
23-01-2014, 03:22 PM (This post was last modified: 23-01-2014 03:31 PM by JAH.)
RE: My biggest question about atheism
This is such a stupid argument. We are mammals our parents fucked, we hopefully suckled at our mothers breasts, we exist. The need for external forces is an emotional one not a necessary one.

Those who find a need for an external force are unfortunately missing a degree of self-awareness, and unfortunately commonality. We are an interesting hive and should embrace that. The notion of an over riding god and a force we should submit to is false and must be destroyed.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes JAH's post
23-01-2014, 03:24 PM
(23-01-2014 02:02 PM)anidominus Wrote:  You keep saying you can't believe in something "without evidence", truth is, you've already done it.
You're confusing evidence with proof.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
23-01-2014, 03:29 PM
He's confusing evidence with proof.
He's confusing believing with knowing.
He's confusing believing with insisting/claiming.
He's confusing an argument from philosophy with a prediction based on evidence and probabilty.

He's just plain confusing.
[+] 1 user Likes TwoCultSurvivor's post
23-01-2014, 03:54 PM
(23-01-2014 02:00 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  
(23-01-2014 11:58 AM)anidominus Wrote:  If a unicorn pharted the universe then where did the unicorn come from? Either the unicorn is eternal or the unicorn came from somewhere.

Therefore,

Either "A God" of some kind exist and he is eternal, no "God" exists and the universe itself is eternal, or cause and effect happen infinitely. The latter being the most illogical of the three to me.

False trichotomy; you assume the options must fall within the frame of causality. As has been demonstrated by quantum mechanics, this is not a universe entirely operating under a deterministic framework. Therefore, to assume that the "beginning" of the universe (or if you want to go with the Big Bang Theory, the formation of the singularity which spawned the universe as we know it) MUST have a standard causal explanation is an arbitrary assertion.

Not knowing the cause of something isn't the same as there was no cause.
23-01-2014, 04:07 PM
(23-01-2014 03:54 PM)anidominus Wrote:  
(23-01-2014 02:00 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  False trichotomy; you assume the options must fall within the frame of causality. As has been demonstrated by quantum mechanics, this is not a universe entirely operating under a deterministic framework. Therefore, to assume that the "beginning" of the universe (or if you want to go with the Big Bang Theory, the formation of the singularity which spawned the universe as we know it) MUST have a standard causal explanation is an arbitrary assertion.

Not knowing the cause of something isn't the same as there was no cause.

That is true, you also entirely missed my point.

I was not attacking any of the possibilities you presented; I was pointing out the fact that it was fallacious to state those as the only possibilities.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
23-01-2014, 04:09 PM
Not knowing the cause of something is not the same as "therefore God did it, now prove me wrong."

Prove you're right.
23-01-2014, 04:36 PM
(23-01-2014 03:54 PM)anidominus Wrote:  Not knowing the cause of something isn't the same as there was no cause.

Does this mean it's possible that God is not the cause? Is it possible there is no God?
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
23-01-2014, 06:06 PM (This post was last modified: 23-01-2014 06:10 PM by GirlyMan.)
(15-01-2014 10:06 AM)lookingforanswers Wrote:  Is there any evidence in science for anything (ie. an effect) that does not require a cause?

Ah, Hume's Problem of Induction, "the glory of science and the scandal of philosophy". It pretty much still remains unanswered and some seriously smart fucks have tried with varying degrees of success. It is largely ignored these days because hey science it just works bitches. We'll worry about if it stops. Tongue

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
23-01-2014, 06:41 PM
(23-01-2014 06:06 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Ah, Hume's Problem of Induction, "the glory of science and the scandal of philosophy". It pretty much still remains unanswered and some seriously smart fucks have tried with varying degrees of success. It is largely ignored these days because hey science it just works bitches. We'll worry about if it stops. Tongue
Spoken like a true pragmatist, brother. Thumbsup

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
23-01-2014, 08:09 PM
(23-01-2014 06:06 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(15-01-2014 10:06 AM)lookingforanswers Wrote:  Is there any evidence in science for anything (ie. an effect) that does not require a cause?

Ah, Hume's Problem of Induction, "the glory of science and the scandal of philosophy". It pretty much still remains unanswered and some seriously smart fucks have tried with varying degrees of success. It is largely ignored these days because hey science it just works bitches. We'll worry about if it stops. Tongue

(23-01-2014 06:41 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
(23-01-2014 06:06 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Ah, Hume's Problem of Induction, "the glory of science and the scandal of philosophy". It pretty much still remains unanswered and some seriously smart fucks have tried with varying degrees of success. It is largely ignored these days because hey science it just works bitches. We'll worry about if it stops. Tongue
Spoken like a true pragmatist, brother. Thumbsup

Pragmatism works, everything else is pedantic. Tongue

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post