My bro has had a stroke :(

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-12-2016, 07:32 PM
My bro has had a stroke :(
My bro has had a major stroke/aneurysm today. He has suffered from high blood pressure for years and had been trying medication to bring it down.

He managed to ring himself an ambulance but whilst he was on the phone to the paramedics he lost consciousness.

He got rushed to our local hospital, he was then moved to another hospital about 30 miles away where he had a shunt put in to drain his head.

The bleed is in the center of his brain, he is now under anasthetic/sedation and is on a ventalator in intensive care. The doctor has been honest and said that the bleed is not in a good place. I dont know what type of scan he first had when he went in but the doc says there doing another one when they can that will show the blood vessels in more detail.

My bros wife asked for a prognosis and the doc said only time will tell. Only when they begin to attempt to bring him out of sedation will they begin to build a picture.

Im in shock. I don't think it will sink in until the next few days are over and if he stabilises or we lose him.

He is only 43.

I don't give a fuck about me. Im more saddened for his wife, who is of course devastated. It will destroy her if he dies. They are each others worlds.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2016, 07:37 PM
RE: My bro has had a stroke :(
I am so sorry to hear this bemore. Your family has already had more than its fair share of serious health issues to deal with.

Sending hugs and hoping for a good outcome.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
01-12-2016, 07:41 PM
*Hugs* Sending lots of love your way to you, your family, your brother, and his wife. Sending good thoughts for your brother to pull through this.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
01-12-2016, 07:55 PM
I hope he pulls through bemore.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
01-12-2016, 08:04 PM
So sorry to hear this Bemore, I hope you get some good news soon. Hug
01-12-2016, 08:05 PM
Sorry, man, I hope this turns out for the best. Hopefully his young age will aid him in his fight.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-12-2016, 08:06 PM
My mother suffered a stroke not too long ago. Obviously not as severe as your brothers, but it still worried us. She has since made a full recovery, and you can't tell anything had gone wrong, as of today.

Strokes can be survived, and even healed completely from. Hug
Here's hoping your brother will experience the same level of recovery! Heart
He's still with us! Hug

01-12-2016, 08:22 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry. The same thing happened to my mother. She had an aneurysm, on Christmas Eve no less. The doctor operated on her and removed part of her brain about the size of a large mable. She was put into an induced coma for five or six days. It wasn't until they brought her out of the coma that we knew if she had any abilities left. She survived and could move her limbs and walk ok but her right side didn't work very well and she had peripheral vision problems. Those were permanent.

She had to learn how to read again and what the names of things were. At first everything was a number because the part of the brain that was damaged was the area that stored nouns. The mathematical area was undamaged. It was really bizarre.

Because of her age she had a more difficult time relearning everything and it was also hindered by my father who wanted to do everything for her. She had spent most of her life buried in stacks of books and read through entire libraries and because of this her reading came back faster, although she could never read with as much vigor as she had before her stroke though and her reading was much slower.

Every aneurysm is different so it will be a wait and see situation for you. Your brother is relatively young and if he comes out of this there will be lots of physical and speech therapy. And if he does come through make sure his wife doesn't try to help him do everything. It really sets a person's recovery back. It's difficult to watch someone you love struggle with simple things like stirring a cup of coffee but they really need to relearn stuff.

Let me know how things are going.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
01-12-2016, 08:33 PM
43? That's terrible. Here's for qualified medical professionals doing a superb job!
01-12-2016, 10:17 PM
Hug I'm sorry to hear about your brother, bemore. Sad

It sounds like the first scan was a CT, probably with CT angiography to look at the vessels. These are comparatively quick to set up and would give them a rough idea of what's going on. They may do a MRI and MRA (MRI angiography) for detail later.

Hopefully by getting that shunt in there it'll prevent fluid buildup that could cause more damage.

Hugs to all of you.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Astreja's post