My bro has had a stroke :(

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-02-2017, 09:50 PM
RE: My bro has had a stroke :(
Richard looks wonderful - so healthy!! Thumbsup
Nurses: thank you Chris, for thinking of his nurses! With all Richard's ups and downs, I know his nurses' watchful eyes and attentiveness were the first line of care in his recovery. You are so sweet and thoughtful to think of them and their aching feet!! Heart

Each day is still going to be a bit slow going for Richard, with still another thing to relearn and remember but, his progress is astounding! Your support has been instrumental in his recovery, Chris. He may not be able to articulate his appreciation, but he knows it and he loves you for helping him back to real life.

I know I've said it before but it's true - Richard is damn lucky to have you in his corner. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like kim's post
20-02-2017, 04:14 AM
Thank you bemore for that uplifting news... best I've heard all day!

I'm more than pleased that your bro has made such a remarkable recovery, and as the others have said, I'm sure he'll be pretty close to his old self in the not-too-distant future. I understand of course that it may possibly be a relatively slow course to chart, with maybe a few hiccups, but it sure is looking good ain't it? Thumbsup

I'm glad for you too that you've come through this relatively unscathed—well done mate.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
20-02-2017, 06:53 AM (This post was last modified: 20-02-2017 06:56 AM by adey67.)
Banana_zorroI'm thrilled for you Bemore I really am. Please extend my very best wishes and my hope for a continued recovery to your brother and family.
Kind regards Adey. Banana_zorro
[+] 2 users Like adey67's post
20-02-2017, 08:54 PM
This is wonderful news, my friend. Great set of pictures! All the best for his continued recovery!
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
20-02-2017, 08:57 PM
Great news bemore! Hoping for continued good news regarding your brother's recovery.

Heart

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
20-02-2017, 09:02 PM
(19-02-2017 03:56 PM)bemore Wrote:  Its been quite a while since I gave everyone an update, nearly a month.

Since my last update, my bro has been recovering so, so well. 4 weeks ago he began physiotherapy. It was to help him with his walking and to help him return to some normality. He had his cather removed and learnt how to use the toilet again. He began working on his coordination.

3 weeks ago he began doing something called "breakfast club" where in the morning he was helped and encouraged to prepare and make his own breakfast. Nothing too complicated, just making a cup of tea, cereal and making toast and buttering it.

The physio ended two weeks ago and he kind of went into limbo with his treatment. They didn't know what to do about his memory and were unsure what other help they can give him. Whilst his memory was beginning to improve, he showed many signs of confabulation and was getting a lot of events mixed up. The hospital said that he had nearly finished his medication and antibiotics and that he would soon be ready to be discharged.

His wife panicked. She text me and my sister and said that we (me and my sister) would need to look after and care for him, as due to his memory, he would not really be able to cope being at home whilst she was at work. She never said that we should all get together and discuss how to look after him and what would be the best course of action, she simply said that it was up to me and my sister. This caused quite a massive arguement over text. Me and my sister were incredulous, we assumed that the best thing for my bro would be at home, and that would mean his wife giving up work to care for him, as one would assume a married couple and the person who loved you would do. His wife said that she would not give up work, she had her kids to consider and a mortgage to pay and she would not let anything, even my bro, threaten their security. She suggested that I give up work and get a place with my bro and that the government would pay for us and for me to be his carer.

Whilst I am willing to do that, I questioned her about where she would fit into all this. That I would never shirk away from any responsibility for caring for my bro, but it was a responsibility we should all share, something we should all arrange.

Well to cut a long story short, like I said, she panicked. After some discussion and me attempting to be empathetic to her situation and continue, as I have always done, to hide the contempt and hatred I have for her, we finally arranged for my bro to go home and for him to have carers stay with him. They will be there all the time whilst she is at work for the first few weeks to assess him and to help.

So he is going home either tomorrow or the day after. His confabulation seems to be diminishing more and more everyday and the last two weeks have seen a big improvement. He stopped having antibiotics for his meningitus about a week ago, but will need to continue having an injection in his stomach for a few more weeks to help treat the bloodclots in his lungs, that they are teaching his wife how to do.

A few of the nurses ended their shift for the day and came to say goodbye to him, they were all amazed at his recovery and their kindness, compassion and care nearly brought a tear to my eye. I had already bought the nurses gifts. They work long shifts and are on their feet a lot, so instead of buying them fruit and chocolate like they usually get. I bought them all cushioned insoles for their shoes.

A small token of my appreciation,appreciation that money cannot show.

Its been a looong 3 months. Looking back I think to him being in nottingham in intensive care. Him opening his eyes for the first time, his tracheostomy, him being unable to talk and us all desperately trying to read his lips, him getting better, then deteriorating, the meningitus, blood clots....... fucking madness.

He has shown optimism and positivity throughout it all. Even when he must of been in incredible pain and confusion, he still had his sense of humour and made us laugh. He really is such an inspiration.

Two weeks ago.

[Image: Cc5rYL5.jpg]

One week ago, on a day release to go home.

[Image: Raidp7A.jpg]

Today

[Image: hZDskvF.jpg]

Thank you all once again for helping me get through this and for being there.

Much love Heart

Wow, wow, wow!! So, so happy for him and you! Just incredible. Thanks for the update, such good news.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like WillHopp's post
21-02-2017, 02:24 PM
Great news

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes devilsadvoc8's post
21-02-2017, 04:01 PM
Wow Bemore that's just amazing! He looks really good.

Hugs

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post