My bro has had a stroke :(

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-12-2016, 02:58 PM
RE: My bro has had a stroke :(
They gave my bro a tracheostomy yesterday and he seemed more settled.

Today he has been completely off sedation. I was talking to him and asked him to move his arm, which he managed to do.

His wife asked him to open his eyes, which he did. He didn't look like he was focusing on anything but its another positive to take away.

Still got a long way to go though.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like bemore's post
07-12-2016, 03:18 PM
(07-12-2016 02:58 PM)bemore Wrote:  They gave my bro a tracheostomy yesterday and he seemed more settled.

Today he has been completely off sedation. I was talking to him and asked him to move his arm, which he managed to do.

His wife asked him to open his eyes, which he did. He didn't look like he was focusing on anything but its another positive to take away.

Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
07-12-2016, 03:19 PM
(07-12-2016 02:58 PM)bemore Wrote:  They gave my bro a tracheostomy yesterday and he seemed more settled.

That is a good sign.

When you can, it might be a nice thing to bring in photos of your family. Not just portraits but snapshots of your family doing things, things he can remember. You might set up a laptop to roll through photos, if that's more convenient. It might be a little too early for this though because he's so out of it but maybe in a few weeks.

One other thing, when he's further along bring in some music that he loves. At first try instrumental music, not singers. Sometimes the part of the brain that processes music is less affected but can still remember hearing the music. Later try music of singers he might like.

When my mother had her aneurysm everything she said came out as a number, any number. 25 13 82. She couldn't think of nouns at all. But she could sing a simple song like Happy Birthday or hum music. The brain is an amazing thing and it tries to repair itself if it can.

Hang in there.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
07-12-2016, 03:27 PM
good advice above. Soon, he can probably respond enough to help pick out the music.
07-12-2016, 04:10 PM
A little aneurysm story from my mother's stroke. About three months after her stroke my mother was still having a lot of trouble with nouns and trying to think of the words for stuff. She came up to me and said she was looking for her "bebootles". Bebootles?? I had no idea what she was talking about. Then she pointed to her head. A hat? No, not a hat. A hair brush? No, it wasn't a hair brush. She said it's "bebootles but that's not what they're called but that's what I'm calling them cause I can't think." It turns out she was looking for her glasses.

We teased her a little about that because I actually liked her name for glasses better. Everyone started calling glasses bebootles after that.

[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post
10-12-2016, 12:51 PM
They moved my bro off Intensive Care and onto a ward yesterday.

He is awake and can open his eyes and look around and at us. He is trying to speak but the tracheostomy has obviously silenced him as its not allowing air into his vocal chords.

He can move his right arm and leg but the only movement on his left side is his index finger.

He is definetly in there and is comprehensive. I told him I love him and he mouthed it back. When I told him that he will get better he just raised his eyebrows in the way he always had that means 'yeah right'

Ive been straight with him. Ive told him everything that has happened to him but emphasised over and over and tried to reassure him that he will improve.

I just hope that as the months go by and he recovers that he gains some quality of life back.

I'll keep this updated and let everyone know how he is getting on.

Thanks everyone for reading and for all your kind words and wishes.

[+] 12 users Like bemore's post
10-12-2016, 12:57 PM
(10-12-2016 12:51 PM)bemore Wrote:  They moved my bro off Intensive Care and onto a ward yesterday.

He is awake and can open his eyes and look around and at us. He is trying to speak but the tracheostomy has obviously silenced him as its not allowing air into his vocal chords.

He can move his right arm and leg but the only movement on his left side is his index finger.

He is definetly in there and is comprehensive. I told him I love him and he mouthed it back. When I told him that he will get better he just raised his eyebrows in the way he always had that means 'yeah right'

Ive been straight with him. Ive told him everything that has happened to him but emphasised over and over and tried to reassure him that he will improve.

I just hope that as the months go by and he recovers that he gains some quality of life back.

I'll keep this updated and let everyone know how he is getting on.

Thanks everyone for reading and for all your kind words and wishes.

Good. I see lots of PT in your bro's future.

My dad had a stroke while on a stage holding a public speech. His wasn't near as bad, but it did take him some time to get full function on his left side. Seeing any progress always helps to create more progress and one thing leads to another...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
10-12-2016, 01:26 PM
The first year after a stroke is where the most improvement is seen. After that it improves in smaller increments.

[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
10-12-2016, 01:32 PM
(10-12-2016 01:26 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  The first year after a stroke is where the most improvement is seen. After that it improves in smaller increments.

True, but there is still improvement. Took 3 years before my dad could chop wood for the fireplace again. He was often sitting there watching TV and flexing the muscles in his arm and hand. For years. Wish they had had those squeeze balls for hand training then.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
16-12-2016, 03:02 PM (This post was last modified: 16-12-2016 03:14 PM by bemore.)
Its been 16 days since Richard, my bro, had his stroke.

He seemed to be making good progress but now im becoming a little concerned for him.

His temperature won't come down. It's around 39 degrees and they are giving him liquid paracetemol. They have been taking bloods and running cultures on it but its all coming back as clear. They took the shunt out of his head 3 days ago and he now only has one line into him, which I think they use to administer the paracetemol. I'm concerned that he might never be able to regulate his own temperature, I don't know what will happen if that is the case.

He has no short term memory. They have been sitting him in a special chair for a few hours for the last two days and when asked about it he has no recollection. He also has no recollection of people who visit or where he is. He keeps trying to pull his feeding tube out and also pull the tube that feeds oxygen into his tracheostomy.

He looks so depressed. I asked him to use his left hand, to keep practising and he shrugged, like he has given up.

His pupils are different size's. It was first noticed a few days ago and they returned to normal, but now they are ever so slightly different.

Sometimes he looks scared, petrified.

It's been making me think about my own life. Ive been having trouble myself health wise for the past 6 months. My heart palpitates and it's slowly been getting worse and yesterday I passed out sitting at my desk at work and went to A and E/ER. My ECG and bloods all come back as normal and all the other blood tests ive had done have come back as clear/no action. I'm waiting to have a 24 hour ECG and Echocardiogram on my heart. I bought a blood pressure monitor, a highly rated one and it tells me everytime I use it that I have an irregular heartbeat. My average readings for my BP is 124/82, so its slightly high but ive had readings of 140/100. Even with all the lifestyle changes ive made.

Im at the doctors on tuesday and im going to ask about putting a DNR (Do not resuscitate) order on my medical file if I have the same type of intercranial bleed/stroke as my brother has, in the future. I don't want to go experience what my bro has been going through. I'd rather just quietly pass away.

As much as I love my bro, which cannot be quantified. I think if he has to live the rest of his days confused and scared, it might have been kinder if he had passed away Sad

I know it's still early. I know things can differ from day to day, hour to hour, ups as well as downs. It's just a bag of wank.

[Image: Qk4BOUY.jpg]

Im on the left, my bro is on the right Sad

[+] 3 users Like bemore's post