My bro has had a stroke :(

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-12-2016, 03:07 PM
RE: My bro has had a stroke :(
Hi mate.

I've seen people return from dangerous situations. Indeed I nearly died about 5 times. Keep up the support and hopefully it'll help.

Thinking of you.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
16-12-2016, 03:13 PM
I would not worry about the short term memory as yet - or the strong impulse to tear out tubes. Tubes are very uncomfortable and extremely irritating when you are trying to rest and heal - so my hubby told me. They can become the dominant thing in your mind because of the level of irritation. Hubby tore out his breathing tubes...twice, and he needed them.

Watch out for the little irritations - when recuperating, they can grow into giant issues. If he has oxygen, check the ears for chafing. That sort of thing. Unfortunately tubes belong in that category too and just can't be removed a lot of the time...

The fear can come from memory lapses. That may continue for a while... there is just no telling yet.

I have a DNR also. I feel the same way you do.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
16-12-2016, 03:28 PM
Take care of yourself bemore so you can be there for your brother.

You may simply be so stressed that your body was telling you to rest. It's good you are having everything checked out.

Does soft music calm your brother? You may try something like that to help soothe him when he is restless.

Hugs and hope that things get better for you both.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
16-12-2016, 03:36 PM
Undecided Sorry to hear this Bemore. ... There's still some hope right? That he'll recover? Let's hang onto that hope and see what happens.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
16-12-2016, 03:50 PM
(16-12-2016 03:02 PM)bemore Wrote:  Its been 16 days since Richard, my bro, had his stroke.

He seemed to be making good progress but now im becoming a little concerned for him.

His temperature won't come down. It's around 39 degrees and they are giving him liquid paracetemol. They have been taking bloods and running cultures on it but its all coming back as clear. They took the shunt out of his head 3 days ago and he now only has one line into him, which I think they use to administer the paracetemol. I'm concerned that he might never be able to regulate his own temperature, I don't know what will happen if that is the case.

He has no short term memory. They have been sitting him in a special chair for a few hours for the last two days and when asked about it he has no recollection. He also has no recollection of people who visit or where he is. He keeps trying to pull his feeding tube out and also pull the tube that feeds oxygen into his tracheostomy.

He looks so depressed. I asked him to use his left hand, to keep practising and he shrugged, like he has given up.

His pupils are different size's. It was first noticed a few days ago and they returned to normal, but now they are ever so slightly different.

Sometimes he looks scared, petrified.

It's been making me think about my own life. Ive been having trouble myself health wise for the past 6 months. My heart palpitates and it's slowly been getting worse and yesterday I passed out sitting at my desk at work and went to A and E/ER. My ECG and bloods all come back as normal and all the other blood tests ive had done have come back as clear/no action. I'm waiting to have a 24 hour ECG and Echocardiogram on my heart. I bought a blood pressure monitor, a highly rated one and it tells me everytime I use it that I have an irregular heartbeat. My average readings for my BP is 124/82, so its slightly high but ive had readings of 140/100. Even with all the lifestyle changes ive made.

Im at the doctors on tuesday and im going to ask about putting a DNR (Do not resuscitate) order on my medical file if I have the same type of intercranial bleed/stroke as my brother has, in the future. I don't want to go experience what my bro has been going through. I'd rather just quietly pass away.

As much as I love my bro, which cannot be quantified. I think if he has to live the rest of his days confused and scared, it might have been kinder if he had passed away Sad

I know it's still early. I know things can differ from day to day, hour to hour, ups as well as downs. It's just a bag of wank.

[Image: Qk4BOUY.jpg]

Im on the left, my bro is on the right Sad

I'm not sure if this makes you feel any better but my mother did the same thing. She pulled out everything that she was connected to. She was terrified but she couldn't talk because she was hooked up to a breathing aparatus. . She has been put into an induced coma for a five or six days and then brought out of it while sitting in that "special chair". Is it the chair that sort of props him upwards so he's not reclined in a bed all the time? They do that so the person doesn't develope pneumonia.

Well, into the second week my mom developed pneumonia anyway. (She'd been a smoker) Every few hours some guy would come in and stick a plastic tube down her throat into her lungs and suction gunk out of it. It was horrible to watch. My poor mother, she would see the guy coming and try to get away but they had tied her down to the hospital bed and she couldn't get away from him. I'd never seen my mother look so scared before.

One nurse told me that it was a good sign that she kept pulling out the hookups. It meant she was feisty and still had some fight in her. So that's a good sign for your brother.

Bemore, it's a living nightmare. A true living nightmare. I witnessed stuff I still can't forget. I wish I could give you a big hug.

You're under severe stress. Stress can cause heart palpitations. Heck, I'd be surprised if you didn't have heart palpitations. If you can find some place to be physically and mentally that can give you some relief it will help.

I think my mother's stroke was the time I realized that no god existed but I had some friends that gave me lots of hugs and whose shoulder I cried on.....literally! It saved me from total despair.

Please try to take care of yourself.

HugHugHugHugHug

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post
16-12-2016, 03:57 PM
Hug I got no words, but sorry to see this, and hope he heals up OK.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
16-12-2016, 03:58 PM
(16-12-2016 03:36 PM)morondog Wrote:  Undecided Sorry to hear this Bemore. ... There's still some hope right? That he'll recover? Let's hang onto that hope and see what happens.

This is where I differ from most people.

I am hanging onto hope, im upbeat and positive when im with him. I point out all the little gains and improvements he is making and I try to make him laugh.

My attitude and concerns and the way I talk about the situation seems to anger some of my friends. They seem to think that I should have more hope, but I am a realist. Hope will not cure him and I don't want to blindly think he will make some miraculous recovery because if he doesn't, ill have further to fall.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
16-12-2016, 04:01 PM (This post was last modified: 16-12-2016 04:08 PM by Loom.)
Take care of yourself, bemore Hug

Stress can certainly cause heart palpitations, but it's good that you're having it looked at--it's never something you want to disregard.

One day at a time. Progress is usually slow with strokes. It took an older coworker of mine 9 months to recover enough to care for herself. She also fought the tubes. Unfortunately she still has memory problems, but she's remarkably independant.

From the sounds of things he does seem to be getting better--slowly, but better.

I hope it's all ups from here on for your bro, and you Hug

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 2 users Like Loom's post
16-12-2016, 04:04 PM
(16-12-2016 03:50 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(16-12-2016 03:02 PM)bemore Wrote:  Its been 16 days since Richard, my bro, had his stroke.

He seemed to be making good progress but now im becoming a little concerned for him.

His temperature won't come down. It's around 39 degrees and they are giving him liquid paracetemol. They have been taking bloods and running cultures on it but its all coming back as clear. They took the shunt out of his head 3 days ago and he now only has one line into him, which I think they use to administer the paracetemol. I'm concerned that he might never be able to regulate his own temperature, I don't know what will happen if that is the case.

He has no short term memory. They have been sitting him in a special chair for a few hours for the last two days and when asked about it he has no recollection. He also has no recollection of people who visit or where he is. He keeps trying to pull his feeding tube out and also pull the tube that feeds oxygen into his tracheostomy.

He looks so depressed. I asked him to use his left hand, to keep practising and he shrugged, like he has given up.

His pupils are different size's. It was first noticed a few days ago and they returned to normal, but now they are ever so slightly different.

Sometimes he looks scared, petrified.

It's been making me think about my own life. Ive been having trouble myself health wise for the past 6 months. My heart palpitates and it's slowly been getting worse and yesterday I passed out sitting at my desk at work and went to A and E/ER. My ECG and bloods all come back as normal and all the other blood tests ive had done have come back as clear/no action. I'm waiting to have a 24 hour ECG and Echocardiogram on my heart. I bought a blood pressure monitor, a highly rated one and it tells me everytime I use it that I have an irregular heartbeat. My average readings for my BP is 124/82, so its slightly high but ive had readings of 140/100. Even with all the lifestyle changes ive made.

Im at the doctors on tuesday and im going to ask about putting a DNR (Do not resuscitate) order on my medical file if I have the same type of intercranial bleed/stroke as my brother has, in the future. I don't want to go experience what my bro has been going through. I'd rather just quietly pass away.

As much as I love my bro, which cannot be quantified. I think if he has to live the rest of his days confused and scared, it might have been kinder if he had passed away Sad

I know it's still early. I know things can differ from day to day, hour to hour, ups as well as downs. It's just a bag of wank.

[Image: Qk4BOUY.jpg]

Im on the left, my bro is on the right Sad

I'm not sure if this makes you feel any better but my mother did the same thing. She pulled out everything that she was connected to. She was terrified but she couldn't talk because she was hooked up to a breathing aparatus. . She has been put into an induced coma for a five or six days and then brought out of it while sitting in that "special chair". Is it the chair that sort of props him upwards so he's not reclined in a bed all the time? They do that so the person doesn't develope pneumonia.

Well, into the second week my mom developed pneumonia anyway. (She'd been a smoker) Every few hours some guy would come in and stick a plastic tube down her throat into her lungs and suction gunk out of it. It was horrible to watch. My poor mother, she would see the guy coming and try to get away but they had tied her down to the hospital bed and she couldn't get away from him. I'd never seen my mother look so scared before.

One nurse told me that it was a good sign that she kept pulling out the hookups. It meant she was feisty and still had some fight in her. So that's a good sign for your brother.

Bemore, it's a living nightmare. A true living nightmare. I witnessed stuff I still can't forget. I wish I could give you a big hug.

You're under severe stress. Stress can cause heart palpitations. Heck, I'd be surprised if you didn't have heart palpitations. If you can find some place to be physically and mentally that can give you some relief it will help.

I think my mother's stroke was the time I realized that no god existed but I had some friends that gave me lots of hugs and whose shoulder I cried on.....literally! It saved me from total despair.

Please try to take care of yourself.

HugHugHugHugHug

It is a nightmare, it's fucking horrible and so unfair.

Yep, the chair keeps him propped up and supports his head as his neck is still very weak. He sounds very congested but when they use suction very little comes out.

My palpitations started way before this. I think the stress has made it worse but im actively doing everything I can to look after myself.

Thank you for the hugs.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 2 users Like bemore's post
16-12-2016, 04:29 PM
I am sorry for this pain and stress. I don't have much to add to what others have said, except that I am thinking of you and your brother and hope for the best for both of you.
[+] 1 user Likes skyking's post