My bro has had a stroke :(

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-01-2017, 06:30 PM
RE: My bro has had a stroke :(
That's awful. I hope he gets over this infection/complication and is back is back to rehabilitating soon.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
04-01-2017, 06:53 PM
I am so sorry to hear this bemore...I was really hoping he was continuing to improve. Unfortunately hospitals are where the sick people are and infections and viruses have a nasty habit of spreading.

I hope they can get this under control without surgery and I hope you are able till get some rest, though I understand why you are struggling to do so.

Much love my friend. Heart

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
04-01-2017, 07:01 PM
(04-01-2017 09:27 AM)bemore Wrote:  My brothers condition has deteriorated.

He has been running a high temperature for the past two weeks and has been complaining of a really bad headache. He keeps his eyes shut 95% of the time as he says the light hurts his eyes.

He got moved to a different ward and today they have done a CT scan and lumbar puncture and he has fucking meningitis. The area where they performed the drain initially for his stroke is now full of pus and it is putting pressure on his brain.

They have put him on antibiotics and have said that they will perform another CT scan in 3 days. If the pus has not gone down they will have to perform surgery, which would be a last resort and they would prefer not to do. The doc's kept saying how serious this is for him.

My poor, poor brother Weeping

I'm just a wreck. I broke down at the hospital 2 days ago with my sister and bawled my eyes out. I'm exhausted. Everytime I try and sleep I can only sleep an hour at a time and dont feel like I have slept. All my muscles are aching like ive been lifting weights. I'm trying my best to look after myself, im trying everything I know to destress. Im doing cyclical abdominal breathing, meditation, taking warm baths before bed.

Nothing works.Sadcryface

Fuck!

Thinking of you all. Heart

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
05-01-2017, 06:34 AM
Damn hospital infections! Hubby had to be opened up again, too. I hope it didn't come to that...

Caregivers (and yes, you qualify as that) actually often go through more of an ordeal than the ill - because the ill are tranquilized and just work on healing the body. For caregivers, it's the mind that exacerbates physical exhaustion.

Just keep taking good care of yourself, when visiting, take frequent little breaks and step outside. Your mind can catch up with processing some of the stuff that way, it can't while absorbed in your bro's reality.

Thinking of you guys.... wish I could hug you. Heart

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
05-01-2017, 07:32 AM
Thinking of you amigo Heart

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
05-01-2017, 02:05 PM
Thank you everyone.

He has bacterial meningitis and is on intravenous antibiotics. They say he will be on them for weeks to come.

He has actually perked up since he has been on his new meds yesterday and today. He has been opening his eyes more and even cracked a few jokes.

He has been so lucky with his stroke. He has regained all use of his left side and the short term memory problems are slowly improving. The major concern though is with the abcess in his head.

They are going to do another CT scan on saturday. If the abcess has not shrunk then they will transfer him back to Nottingham QMC for an operation to clear it. I think the operation wont be without risk though.

Im just hoping the abcess shrinks and they wont need to do the operation. He is also now diabetic from everything he has had done in the early stages.

The last 36 days feel like months.

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 7 users Like bemore's post
05-01-2017, 02:25 PM
(05-01-2017 02:05 PM)bemore Wrote:  Thank you everyone.

He has bacterial meningitis and is on intravenous antibiotics. They say he will be on them for weeks to come.

He has actually perked up since he has been on his new meds yesterday and today. He has been opening his eyes more and even cracked a few jokes.

He has been so lucky with his stroke. He has regained all use of his left side and the short term memory problems are slowly improving. The major concern though is with the abcess in his head.

They are going to do another CT scan on saturday. If the abcess has not shrunk then they will transfer him back to Nottingham QMC for an operation to clear it. I think the operation wont be without risk though.

Im just hoping the abcess shrinks and they wont need to do the operation. He is also now diabetic from everything he has had done in the early stages.

I know it may not seem like a good thing but having bacterial meningitis is a little better than viral meningitis. I have a friend who had the viral form and there really wasn't much that could be done for the guy. There's no real medication for a virus. He was young and healthy when he contracted it but it almost killed him.

Hang in there, Bemore. Hang in there. And keep posting!!

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
05-01-2017, 02:48 PM
(05-01-2017 02:05 PM)bemore Wrote:  Thank you everyone.

It's good to here there is continued improvement and reason for hope.
Take care of yourself so you're able to be there for him.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
11-01-2017, 02:31 PM
My bro has deteriorated slightly Sad

They did a CT scan over the weekend and the abcess that is basically ventriculitis, has not grown, nor shrunk.

The antibiotics he has been on have helped with his headaches and he is no longer in pain in his head or eyes.

Yesterday he began to complain of pain in his chest when we visited and had a few occasions where he seemed to struggle to catch a breath. We told the nurses and they did an ECG and reassesed him.

There are 3 doctors overlooking his care. One seems a bit useless and the other two desperately want him to go to Nottingham and have the operation on his head to help the ventriculitis/abcess. I think there is such a shortage of space that they can't take him.

This morning he began to hyperventilate and his breathing worsened. When I arrived they took him for an MRI scan and when he came out he was in a lot of pain. He has a high threshold to pain so it must be bad for him. The MRI shows bloodclots on his lungs bilaterally. The doc believes its from inactivity for the past 38+ days and also them holding off giving him blood thinners.

They have moved him to a high dependcy ward and the doc has a plan for him tonight involving pain relief and treatment for the clots. He said they wont be moving him tonight and tried to reassure my bro that he wasnt too concerned. Im gonna guess that with his condition deteriorating that they have GOT to force nottingham to give him the treatment he needs.

His wife was quite distraught. I'm useless at consoling people as I was doing my best to keep myself together and not breakdown in front of my bro. The nurses did a good job of reassuring her and after I broke down in tears with my sister at the weekend, I simply told myself, and keep telling myself ive GOT to toughen up to get through this shit. I am getting better and adjusting, I just concentrate on breathing and relaxing.

Its really tough to see someone you love in so much pain and you cant help them. I feel so bad when I have to leave and wish I could have more time off work to be with him.

For anyone who reads this, if you havent had your blood pressure checked in a few years, please get it checked. High blood pressure can show few symptoms and like I have found out the hard way with Richard. It can be devastating Sadcryface

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
11-01-2017, 02:51 PM
(11-01-2017 02:31 PM)bemore Wrote:  My bro has deteriorated slightly Sad

They did a CT scan over the weekend and the abcess that is basically ventriculitis, has not grown, nor shrunk.

The antibiotics he has been on have helped with his headaches and he is no longer in pain in his head or eyes.

Yesterday he began to complain of pain in his chest when we visited and had a few occasions where he seemed to struggle to catch a breath. We told the nurses and they did an ECG and reassesed him.

There are 3 doctors overlooking his care. One seems a bit useless and the other two desperately want him to go to Nottingham and have the operation on his head to help the ventriculitis/abcess. I think there is such a shortage of space that they can't take him.

This morning he began to hyperventilate and his breathing worsened. When I arrived they took him for an MRI scan and when he came out he was in a lot of pain. He has a high threshold to pain so it must be bad for him. The MRI shows bloodclots on his lungs bilaterally. The doc believes its from inactivity for the past 38+ days and also them holding off giving him blood thinners.

They have moved him to a high dependcy ward and the doc has a plan for him tonight involving pain relief and treatment for the clots. He said they wont be moving him tonight and tried to reassure my bro that he wasnt too concerned. Im gonna guess that with his condition deteriorating that they have GOT to force nottingham to give him the treatment he needs.

His wife was quite distraught. I'm useless at consoling people as I was doing my best to keep myself together and not breakdown in front of my bro. The nurses did a good job of reassuring her and after I broke down in tears with my sister at the weekend, I simply told myself, and keep telling myself ive GOT to toughen up to get through this shit. I am getting better and adjusting, I just concentrate on breathing and relaxing.

Its really tough to see someone you love in so much pain and you cant help them. I feel so bad when I have to leave and wish I could have more time off work to be with him.

For anyone who reads this, if you havent had your blood pressure checked in a few years, please get it checked. High blood pressure can show few symptoms and like I have found out the hard way with Richard. It can be devastating Sadcryface

I have high blood pressure and would have never known but for the doc. You don't feel it at all.

I am so sorry that things are moving along so very slowly. It is very important that you take care of yourself - the intensity of your experience takes it's toll. Make sure you eat well and take time to totally, totally, unwind every day.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post