My brother being bribed to go to Church.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2015, 07:38 PM
Hey guys, I just want to hear some general suggestions on what I should do or not do.
But first here's the story:

I am 17 years old, living with my mother, father, little brother, and my two grandparents. My entire family is religious, specifically devoted Catholics, with the exception of my little brother and I, he is more or so an apatheist, while I am an atheist.

I have already told my entire family I am an atheist, and of course their reaction was shock, disgust, and anger. But that was years ago, but yes do know I do not follow their religion as I often refuse to go to church services, but there has been multiple times where they try to convince me to go to church or be a Catholic again. Though the tensions of this calmed down. However this isn't the case for my little brother. And so here comes the problem.

Everytime we have dinner, or come upstairs with my brother to our dining room, my grandma would always hand my brother money, and basically bribe him to go to church and all. And of course, it's obvious they are trying to get me to hear this conversation, because they also want to convert me through bribery.

I found this disgusting. I wanted to puke. But I also do not want my brother to be bribed into religion. It's disgusting and remorseful of how my grandparents do this, and as I said before my entire family is religious, so my mother does not say anything.

This may sound like me wanting to change his choice on religion, but it's not, it's just me worried of him being bribed into religion.

I would appreciate feedback on how to deal with this feeling of disgust and or dealing with this issue.

Many thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2015, 07:56 PM
RE: My brother being bribed to go to Church.
Accept the bribes. Go to church. Embarrass them by doing atheist proselytizing at church.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 6 users Like yakherder's post
18-04-2015, 08:09 PM
(18-04-2015 07:56 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Accept the bribes. Go to church. Embarrass them by doing atheist proselytizing at church.

Haha, that would quite be the show, however I'd rather not do that, I do not want my family to be ashamed of me. It is not that I am afraid of them, as I already had the courage to be straightforward and tell them I am an atheist. It's also because every time I had to go to church because I wasn't able to refuse my parents back then, I would get a very sick gut feeling when entering any church. And I do not want a family feud, because my dad is actually very supportive of me, even though he's a catholic himself, though he isn't that devoted, he doesn't care who I am, he just loves me as a son, so if anytime my devoted side of the family would argue my dad would get furious and argue. I should have mentioned that. Laugh out load

So yeah rather not risk that ^^;
18-04-2015, 08:14 PM
(18-04-2015 07:56 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Accept the bribes. Go to church. Embarrass them by doing atheist proselytizing at church.

No no no. Take the bribe and go to church. Then keep taking more bribes as a condition to continue to go. Seems like an easy way to make a buck.
[+] 2 users Like KUSA's post
18-04-2015, 08:21 PM
First... welcome to TTA.

Second ... the irony is, like, wow!

A few centuries back, much of the church's revenue came from the sale of 'indulgences'... pay us and we will look after your immortal soul after you haue shufflel'd off this mortall coile

Now it seems that if your generation indulges the fantasies of the older generations you get that money back. Blink

This indicates that there is some form of cosmic justice. Undecided

In business (and let's face it, the church is a business (or a racket)) there are a number of legitimate ways to go about changing people's (your staff, customers' or suppliers') behaviour and financial incentive is one of those.

Quite often, when a financial incentive is introduced, the more natural social incentive (or even a supernatural moral incentive) that might have been in place before, now evaporates.

I think the 'disgust' reaction that you are feeling relates to this switch from what is supposed to be a moral thing to a business thing.

Don't worry about it. The church has been an immoral business for a long, long time. I wonder only, whether your grandparents are consciously aware of this.

So... if you can put your disgust-reaction aside and see it as a business transaction, there are a few options:
1. Don't take the money and attend the service;
2. Don't take the money and don't attend;
3. Take the money and attend the service;
4. Take the money and run.

This choice depends upon one's personal ethics.

Personally, I'd choose option 1. because I have an inflated integrity disorder (IID) that relates to the desire to be an insufferable prick who needs to feel morally superior to everyone else.

If your brother is old enough to understand that 'believing' is something that happens when one is convinced of a thing by evidence, then why not attend? Check it out, see if there is any basis in truth, do some investigative journalism.

My bet is that he'll be bored out of his apathetic mind like the rest of were when we were children.

18-04-2015, 08:21 PM
Quote:I would appreciate feedback on how to deal with this feeling of disgust and or dealing with this issue.

How much are they giving him? Whatever it is, tell him to demand more. Fucking jesus would approve.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
18-04-2015, 09:01 PM
I would take the bribes. I don't know how much they give your brother, but I would haggle for more money. Plus you could always back out at a later date, no?

(30-03-2015 08:47 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  IT'S THE HOLY GHOST oooOOOOOOOOOOooooooo
18-04-2015, 09:05 PM
What Min and Russ said but with a twist,

Every Sunday the bribe has to go up. I’ll go this week for $5, next week when they give you the $5 insist on $10...Evil_monster

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
18-04-2015, 09:10 PM
(18-04-2015 09:05 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  What Min and Russ said but with a twist,

Every Sunday the bribe has to go up. I’ll go this week for $5, next week when they give you the $5 insist on $10...Evil_monster

See what I mean Vinh? Once a financial incentive is introduced... morality evaporates.

Undecided

18-04-2015, 09:12 PM
(18-04-2015 09:10 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(18-04-2015 09:05 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  What Min and Russ said but with a twist,

See what I mean Vinh? Once a financial incentive is introduced... morality evaporates.

Undecided

We're a bunch of moral-less, commie, atheist bastards.

(30-03-2015 08:47 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  IT'S THE HOLY GHOST oooOOOOOOOOOOooooooo
[+] 2 users Like Russ's post