My brother being bribed to go to Church.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2015, 09:18 PM
RE: My brother being bribed to go to Church.
(18-04-2015 09:12 PM)Russ Wrote:  
(18-04-2015 09:10 PM)DLJ Wrote:  See what I mean Vinh? Once a financial incentive is introduced... morality evaporates.

Undecided

We're a bunch of moral-less, commie, atheist bastards.

I say tit for tat, the church is always asking for money, time for the shoe to be on the other foot.

And yes Russ, we are that Yes

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
18-04-2015, 09:35 PM
(18-04-2015 09:12 PM)Russ Wrote:  
(18-04-2015 09:10 PM)DLJ Wrote:  See what I mean Vinh? Once a financial incentive is introduced... morality evaporates.

Undecided

We're a bunch of moral-less, commie, atheist bastards.

Right. What's your point.

Listen, Vinh's brother shouldn't risk his asshole around pervert priests for a paltry dollar or two.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
18-04-2015, 10:47 PM
(18-04-2015 09:35 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  ...

Listen, Vinh's brother shouldn't risk his asshole around pervert priests for a paltry dollar or two.

Good point, well made.

What would be the right price?

Ohmy

19-04-2015, 12:16 AM
I have often said " you coukdnt pay me to go to church" but now I find myself wondering how much grandma is coughing up. Consider

Is your brother old enough to understand what is actually happening? My 9 year old daughter would be all over that arrangememnt. And all that money would be blown on candy and she would have ignored every word said at church. She is really good at just tuning things out.....currently she is tuning out in social studies class- but that is a different thread.

I think there is a Beatles song "cant buy me love" ? You could start playing it or singing it loudly when these transactions take place.

but really I would just ask your Grandma directly. You don't need to be snarky about it, just find out if she really thinks the money is getting what she wants. Attendance in church doesnt make you a believer anymore than sitting in the garage doesnt make you a car.

There was a TTA podcast that talked about the Good News Club and all the ways the churches used bribery of children. Pizza parties, candy, trips to amusement parks, etc. I think it referenced some studies about influencing a child -- age 14 seemed to be age that if you could get a child to believe before that age, you had them -- if they managed to not believe to age 14 then most wouldnt ever fall for it.

excuse the typos, my ipad hates me.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
19-04-2015, 03:49 AM (This post was last modified: 19-04-2015 08:38 AM by GirlyMan.)
What a coincidence, I was just about to start a GoFundMe project called "Who will buy my immortal soul?"

"I'm an old, fat atheist staring into the abyss and got thinking 'Well it sure would be a waste to lose a perfectly good immortal soul by taking it into the void with me. Maybe someone will buy it.' Besides it's been getting in my way lately whenever I try to wipe my ass or put on my socks and shoes. I've studied a lot of religions but there are just too damn many to choose from. So I've decided to auction off my immortal soul to the highest bidder. Please indicate which religion and sect you represent when making your contribution so I will know where to deliver my immortal soul. Shipping is free for most major religions. (Scientology is extra 'cause Venus is outside of normal shipping routes.) I swear to God I won't spend any of the proceeds on hookers and blow. (Unless the Satanists win in which case I promise to spend all of the proceeds on hookers and blow.) I thank you for your consideration and contribution. Please hurry. Time is of the essence."

#sigh
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
19-04-2015, 03:57 AM
Whenever you're forced to go to Church, the best thing you can do to be subversive is to actually pay attention and ask questions.

Ask enough uncomfortable questions, and people will stop wanting you to attend church.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
19-04-2015, 04:02 AM
(18-04-2015 08:14 PM)KUSA Wrote:  
(18-04-2015 07:56 PM)yakherder Wrote:  Accept the bribes. Go to church. Embarrass them by doing atheist proselytizing at church.

No no no. Take the bribe and go to church. Then keep taking more bribes as a condition to continue to go. Seems like an easy way to make a buck.

My first thought was that was what the younger brother was doing. It's effectively no different to going out to work. He's using his free time to provide a service.
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
19-04-2015, 04:05 AM
(18-04-2015 09:35 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Listen, Vinh's brother shouldn't risk his asshole around pervert priests for a paltry dollar or two.

Not without added danger pay.
19-04-2015, 04:43 AM
Heck I went and even played along just for the after service snacks. But I've always enjoyed the cloak and dagger stuff, and I found it genuinely entertaining.

'Murican Canadian
19-04-2015, 07:10 AM
I'd agree on a base amount and draw up a schedules of fees for every fallacy mentioned during the service.

argument from ignorance: $5
special pleading: $7.50
etc

Then you can play "spot the fallacy" and get paid for it at the same time. You can probably bankrupt your grandmother within a month.
Big Grin

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post