My brother gave me a book

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-09-2016, 03:49 PM
RE: My brother gave me a book
[Image: 2of0e2xqlJmq.jpg]

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...Banana-Man

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Commonsensei's post
10-09-2016, 04:29 PM
I still say give 'em both a copy of The Language of God by Francis Collins (audiobook, for your dad to drive with).

It's easy for them to block out stuff by atheist authors. When an evangelical Christian who is one of the top researchers on the planet tells them that evolution is reality, they'll have a harder time dismissing it. Avoid attacking their faith; it's a loser from the jump. Rather, attack the things they have been misled to believe by charlatans on demonstrable grounds like scientific knowledge... then they'll be forced to wonder, as I did when I left Christianity, what else they've been misled about.

Tell them that you'll read their book if they swear to read Collins' book, and then you can both talk about which is reality and which is delusional. Might want to clean up the phrasing a bit from what I just wrote, though. Laugh out load

They may well remain Christians... but hopefully they'll turn into the non-asshole type.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
10-09-2016, 04:33 PM
(10-09-2016 03:47 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  
(10-09-2016 02:25 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  Pretty sure it's a school teacher.

I mean my economic teacher told us about the book "I hope they serve beer in hell"
Probably equally horrible

If it's a school teacher. That is not good, especial if it's a public school. If this teacher is passing out religious text to students that a breach of the first amendment. Public schools are funded by the government as well as their employees. This teacher can't pass out books like that because it's promoting that individuals religious beliefs. If they went to the same church that's one thing but during school hours that's a big NO NO.

Just like that bitch that refused to allow gay couples get married in...shit i forgot the state. Alambama? Kentucky?...damn what was her name. Anyway I think you know who I'm talking about. She was not following the Constitution because she was a government official using her religious believe to dictate the law.

I'm not even sure how he came to know the teacher like this. But my brother asked him to talk to me and he sent me a book. Good talk. I learned nothing from your book.
10-09-2016, 04:36 PM
So I read the book.. I also did research and left colorful sticky notes with counters to a ton of things.
When it came to the prophecy part I was prepared and took it rather well.
It went into the prophecy of Daniel.. Like that wasn't discussed here a thousand times.
It tried leaving names of historical Christians.. I did some searching to find many of these people weren't actually Christians.
This was fun.
[+] 7 users Like Jewelarcher's post
10-09-2016, 04:51 PM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2016 04:55 PM by Chas.)
(10-09-2016 10:43 AM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  You know the one who outed me to my dad in a family fight..
The book is from his know it all teacher and is called
"Science facts in the bible" by Ray comfort

Oh boy

Toss the book.

Seriously.

Never mind, your plan is better. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
10-09-2016, 04:56 PM
People consistently underestimate the POWER of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Twill be their undoing. Heed my warnings, peasants!

Comfort is for naught but PROFIT.

Adams is the true PROPHET.

[+] 3 users Like The Dark One's post
10-09-2016, 05:14 PM
(10-09-2016 04:36 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  So I read the book.. I also did research and left colorful sticky notes with counters to a ton of things.
It went into the prophecy of Daniel.. Like that wasn't discussed here a thousand times.
It tried leaving names of historical Christians.. I did some searching to find many of these people weren't actually Christians.
This was fun.

It does my old black heart good to see you doing this! Evil_monster Good for you!
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
10-09-2016, 05:29 PM
(10-09-2016 05:14 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(10-09-2016 04:36 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  So I read the book.. I also did research and left colorful sticky notes with counters to a ton of things.
This was fun.

It does my old black heart good to see you doing this! Evil_monster Good for you!

Thank you. There were a lot of things I'm not ready to counter yet. But it felt good.
[+] 3 users Like Jewelarcher's post
10-09-2016, 07:43 PM
This was fun.

I remember this phase of my atheism. It was not long after I had realized I should probably call myself one, and about five years after I walked away from Christianity.

I did the same thing you did, but with Darwin on Trial and The Case for Christ, my senior year of college, when I was trying to re-establish ties with my fundamentalist parents (following five years of avoiding them because they had asked me to leave their house for leaving the church-- to be fair, I don't think they thought I'd call their bluff and actually leave at 17), and they handed me copies of those books... largely because they learned I was about to get my degree in biology.

So I went through both books line by line, found out their errors and outright lies, then I footnoted, annotated, and left sticky notes with "for further reading" and other references before returning the books to my folks.

Didn't go over very well, I'm afraid. I got a big lecture about being stubborn and rebellious, and wound up spending a second five-year block not talking to my folks. Undecided

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
10-09-2016, 07:50 PM
(10-09-2016 07:43 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  
This was fun.

I remember this phase of my atheism. It was not long after I had realized I should probably call myself one, and about five years after I walked away from Christianity.

I did the same thing you did, but with Darwin on Trial and The Case for Christ, my senior year of college, when I was trying to re-establish ties with my fundamentalist parents (following five years of avoiding them because they had asked me to leave their house for leaving the church-- to be fair, I don't think they thought I'd call their bluff and actually leave at 17), and they handed me copies of those books... largely because they learned I was about to get my degree in biology.

So I went through both books line by line, found out their errors and outright lies, then I footnoted, annotated, and left sticky notes with "for further reading" and other references before returning the books to my folks.

Didn't go over very well, I'm afraid. I got a big lecture about being stubborn and rebellious, and wound up spending a second five-year block not talking to my folks. Undecided

oh gosh that stinks.