My brother gave me a book

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-09-2016, 05:40 PM
RE: My brother gave me a book
(11-09-2016 02:34 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  i will say that i learned a lot from the experience. seeing how the author of this book (ray comfort) took words from others and twisted them to fit his writings (atheists too!) he twisted SCRIPTURE!

Creationism, a morally bankrupt abuse of science and scripture both.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Paleophyte's post
11-09-2016, 06:00 PM
(11-09-2016 02:15 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  Guys, I have said this before on this forum, and I'll say it again. I am the luckiest guy here, as far as I can tell.

Not quite. There are a few of us who arrived without significant religious baggage.

My own crimes include being born in Canada to an atheist father and liberal Christian mother. Both were school teachers, grandpa on her side was a professor. All grandparents were lapsed christians of some form, none devout. Religion was rarely mentioned in the home, critical thinking started so early I don't remember.

This was pretty typical for Canada even back then. Religion isn't touted here and the few devout tend to keep it to themselves. Our politicians typically have some form of religion, commonly liberal except amongst the more fervent conservatives, but they all keep it low key. Politicians who make a show of their religion here are apt to lose votes fast.

At Mom's behest we went to the United Church of Canada as kids. Very liberal. One small step up from the Universalists. I'm always tickled when some theist suggests that I'm an atheist because I had a bad experience with the church. I had a blast. Chruch camp, youth group, choir.

Time came for Confirmation and I realized that I'd be a massive hypocrite to utter words that I didn't believe. Said my goodbyes but stayed in youth group. Mom made a few minor protests but nothing that amounted to any lost sleep.

I'm also appauled by the horror stories and losses we hear about from other atheists. It isn't something that I realised happened either and I still don't fully understand it at an emotional level. Feels like I cheated somehow.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
11-09-2016, 06:42 PM
Quote:I'm also appauled by the horror stories and losses we hear about from other atheists. It isn't something that I realised happened either and I still don't fully understand it at an emotional level. Feels like I cheated somehow.

EXACTLY. Nail on head. Thumbsup
11-09-2016, 06:45 PM
Quote:Joking! Tongue I love his work... at least up until the third book when I lost interest in the middle of a robot cricket match

Well yes, but that's cricket, isn't it? Robots or not...

LaughatLaughatLaughat
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post
11-09-2016, 08:53 PM
Give him a book. "The God Delusion." Tell him he needs it.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
11-09-2016, 09:27 PM
Ha ha... I've just read some of the one-star reviews of Comfort's silly book on Amazon. Facepalm

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
11-09-2016, 09:40 PM
(11-09-2016 09:27 PM)SYZ Wrote:  Ha ha... I've just read some of the one-star reviews of Comfort's silly book on Amazon. Facepalm

That's some gag/chortle worthy stuff, ain't it? I'm on the gag side myself. It's not really nice to mock the mentally challenged. Laughat
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
11-09-2016, 10:00 PM
(10-09-2016 10:43 AM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  You know the one who outed me to my dad in a family fight..
The book is from his know it all teacher and is called
"Science facts in the bible" by Ray comfort

Oh boy
Have you ever thought of strapping it page by page to miniature upside down crosses in the woods? You'd be testing properties of thermodynamics. Take pics and video for your family so they know you're learning something worthwhile. Be sure to record your results and test the rate of burn under varying conditions to identify variables in your experiment. Perhaps run a few tests with accelerants for fun. Make sure you have enough pages for all conditions. Wear safety goggles and keep a fire extinguisher handy, of course! Have fun and SCIENCE!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
11-09-2016, 10:32 PM
Depending on how much you like this brother...

tell him you've seen the error of your ways, and ask for a copy of his bible. Then light it on fire and tell him you worship satan now.
[+] 1 user Likes Ash's post
11-09-2016, 11:02 PM
(10-09-2016 10:53 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Is it a book? Or just a paint by numbers.

He'd have to be able to count to publish one wouldn't he?

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.