My brother was confirmed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2015, 10:43 AM
My brother was confirmed
So I talked to my parents the other day and it came to light that my youngest brother has just been confirmed. My parents both know of my atheism, and of my disbelief. They both accept my reasons and support me and I'm very grateful for that. Bit both my siblings are being raised in a much more religious setting than I was and it worries me.

My sister at least is visibly religious. My brother is hard to read. I worry that they will react negatively to me. I haven't wanted to interfere with my parents in this, but now I'm scared about what their catholic school is telling them about atheists.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-04-2015, 10:44 AM
RE: My brother was confirmed
Never understood being "confirmed"....

What do ya do? Show up?? - "Yup -- that's him -- it's confirmed -- he really exists".....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 4 users Like onlinebiker's post
29-04-2015, 10:56 AM
(29-04-2015 10:44 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Never understood being "confirmed"....

What do ya do? Show up?? - "Yup -- that's him -- it's confirmed -- he really exists".....

Catholics baptize children as infants, when the baptizee obviously has nothing to say about it. Confirmation is done after the child reaches the "age of reason", and at least nominally, it's when the child makes an active choice to be a Catholic and to live as one.

The trouble is that this still happens at a relatively early age (I don't remember exactly, but I was still in elementary school, so I couldn't have been more than 13). I'm not sure that a 13-year-old (or younger) is really capable of making such a choice, and even supposing that you were smart enough to have realized by that age that it's all bullshit, you would have to be tremendously courageous to say so when you're still going to a Catholic school and living with Catholic parents. No way would I have done it. My parents would have killed me. My small act of rebellion was to choose "Moses" as my confirmation name. It got a giggle out of my classmates.
29-04-2015, 11:27 AM
(29-04-2015 10:44 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Never understood being "confirmed"....

The Holy Spirit flys over and drops some birdshit on your head. Yes

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
29-04-2015, 11:30 AM
He's turning 14 this June.

Since he's been confirmed I think he's old enough for me to talk to him about this. My sister is still too young but I think I should talk to him at least about it.
29-04-2015, 11:35 AM
More important.....warn him not to turn his back to any priest.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
29-04-2015, 11:37 AM
I would say that out of the Christian religions out there, the RCC is probably the least likely to promote hatred of others for being different. Granted, it has some of the more strict moral rules about marriage, homosexuality, who can become a priest, etc. etc, but when you balance that out with the notion that the Catholics are the one Christian religion that has shown that its affiliated schools for grade school, high school and universities are highly respected institutions of learning then the openness to different ideas is not alien. I'd say the Methodists come in at a distant second where there are a respectable schools in their own right. I'm speaking as an American so I can't comment on other schools in Europe, Asia, etc. Unless your parents are religious zealots, I'd say your siblings should at least accept you even if they may not agree with you.
29-04-2015, 12:23 PM
keep an open mind, at this age parental and peer pressure is enormous. Many of the middle schoolers I know don't want to different from their peers--at all. Its why tween/teen girls often dress the same, act the same, even laugh the same, etc. The boys are no different in this regard.

just because he doesnt buck the system doesnt mean he has bought what they are selling.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
29-04-2015, 12:44 PM
(29-04-2015 12:23 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  keep an open mind, at this age parental and peer pressure is enormous. Many of the middle schoolers I know don't want to different from their peers--at all. Its why tween/teen girls often dress the same, act the same, even laugh the same, etc. The boys are no different in this regard.

just because he doesnt buck the system doesnt mean he has bought what they are selling.

For what it is worth, I was confirmed even though I was already an atheist although not open about it. I had been told that once I was confirmed I was free to decide if and when to go to church so I shut up and got through it. I remember getting to the point in the ceremony where I was done and turning and walking back down the aisle thinking "thank god (Big Grin) I'll never have to deal with any of this ever again".

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
29-04-2015, 12:45 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about the confirmation process. Plenty of people go through it b/c it is what their peers are doing and the family wants it. Nothing is written in blood. I wouldn't rush to try to de-program your siblings. They are still your parent's direct charges and if they are ok with you being an atheist then they seem like pretty reasonable parents

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley