My brother was confirmed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-04-2015, 12:45 PM
RE: My brother was confirmed
(29-04-2015 10:44 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  Never understood being "confirmed"....

What do ya do? Show up?? - "Yup -- that's him -- it's confirmed -- he really exists".....

I was raised Lutheran. It's a two-year class you go through, and when you're done, they let you drink wine in small quantities when you're 14. All the non-confirmed suckers have to wait until they're 21.

I think there was some stuff about Jesus, too, but I sort of forgot after the wine.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like RobbyPants's post
29-04-2015, 02:00 PM
(29-04-2015 12:45 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  

What do ya do? Show up?? - "Yup -- that's him -- it's confirmed -- he really exists".....

I was raised Lutheran. It's a two-year class you go through, and when you're done, they let you drink wine in small quantities when you're 14. All the non-confirmed suckers have to wait until they're 21.

I think there was some stuff about Jesus, too, but I sort of forgot after the wine.

I got money for my confirmation and a gold cross necklace. I remember it was a big deal in my family--we had a party and everything. I didn't get any wine though No
29-04-2015, 02:08 PM

That's more than "God" has accomplished thus far.
[+] 4 users Like Mr. Boston's post
29-04-2015, 02:24 PM
Hah. Ma soeur et mon frere both went to confirmation classes IIRC. Neither of them got confirmed. I never bothered... I had to wait 'til uni for the crazy to hit me Dodgy Fucken... I was such a bright kid. How'd I turn into a lunatic?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
29-04-2015, 03:51 PM
I have a couple of points.

1. All thou you are blood, your parents are still going to call the shots. If they tell him to go he'll proable have to go. The most you can do it plant the seeds of reson.
Ricky Gervais de-conversion story started with his brother. He said he was sitting at the table eating when he made some comment about god. His brother responded. "What makes you think there's a god?" His mother then snapped at his brother to shut up. He said at that moment he knew. He knew because if there was a god his mother wouldn't have to worry about what his brother said it would just be true.

2. Your brother is old enough I think to start talking about these things. If the subject comes up, don't avoid asking him what he thinks. Challenge his beliefs on the matter.

I'm the oldest of three boys. It took me the longest to figure it out. We all came to terms around the same time. So them being younger then I am just goes to show.

3. Don't be an ass. All to often I've come off as an asshole to people when asking questions. Calling your parents out in front of him wont make you look any better. He's your brother, he's grown up in the same house as you, same parents, same rules. It's not unresonable to think he isn't coming to some of the same conclusions as you.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
29-04-2015, 04:10 PM
I was confirmed as well when I was 14 even though I already was an atheist...

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
[+] 1 user Likes Alex K's post
29-04-2015, 05:32 PM

Thanks to being raised Catholic and not having a Biblical first or middle name...I have two extra names...I had to have one for my baptism and it's required for confirmation.

I was about 11 when I was confirmed...two years later than my classmates as I didn't attend Catholic school till sixth grade. I still don't know what all the hoopla was about or why we had to dress like little brides.

Just another creepy ceremony in The Church. Dodgy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
29-04-2015, 07:03 PM
(29-04-2015 02:00 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I got money for my confirmation and a gold cross necklace. I remember it was a big deal in my family--we had a party and everything. I didn't get any wine though No

Just at communion. Still, it's more than I would have otherwise got. Tongue
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
01-05-2015, 09:29 AM
(29-04-2015 05:32 PM)Anjele Wrote:  

Thanks to being raised Catholic and not having a Biblical first or middle name...I have two extra names...I had to have one for my baptism and it's required for confirmation.

I was about 11 when I was confirmed...two years later than my classmates as I didn't attend Catholic school till sixth grade. I still don't know what all the hoopla was about or why we had to dress like little brides.

I didn't need one for Baptism. But I had to pick one for confirmation. Everyone in my group went with James, or John. I was the only one that picked Gabriel. I remember being really prod of it. Spending hours going threw biblical names, and saints to choose one that I could have a connection with.

I've never used it. It's not a legal name, so it's not on my drives licences. I never state all four names (First, Middle, Catholic, Last). It (like church) was just a waist of my time.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
01-05-2015, 09:40 AM
(01-05-2015 09:29 AM)Commonsensei Wrote:  
(29-04-2015 05:32 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Thanks to being raised Catholic and not having a Biblical first or middle name...I have two extra names...I had to have one for my baptism and it's required for confirmation.

I didn't need one for Baptism. But I had to pick one for confirmation. Everyone in my group went with James, or John. I was the only one that picked Gabriel. I remember being really prod of it. Spending hours going threw biblical names, and saints to choose one that I could have a connection with.

I've never used it. It's not a legal name, so it's not on my drives licences. I never state all four names (First, Middle, Catholic, Last). It (like church) was just a waist of my time.

Heh, mine was Luke. Everyone else chose James or John as well, so I went edgy.
[+] 1 user Likes Dusky's post