My cat

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-07-2016, 11:54 PM
My cat
The doesn't seem to be a forum for "Pets" so "This, That, and The Other Thing" seems logical.

We have a cat. Well, she seems to be mine. I feed her. Technically she's my son's cat, but he moved back in with us while his house was being repaired, brought her with him, and then when he moved back into his own house she stayed.

She's always been king of stand offish. She does not like to be picked up and held, although she likes being petted.

When we go away on vacation and that sort of thing I always arrange for someone to drop by and feed her and change the litter.

Last month we went to Alabama for about ten days to house sit for my wife's brother while they went to Europe. Now that we are back the cat has changed. She practically wants to live in my lap. We've been away for longer periods before and she was always the same when we returned. I asked my son if he had been feeding her while we were gone and he said "yes." An inventory of the cat food confirms this.

She's an old cat. Born in 2002. Maybe the reason she wants to cuddle up is she thinks she's dying. I don't know. I have an appointment to take her to the vet.

Sapere aude
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2016, 12:07 AM
RE: My cat
(11-07-2016 11:54 PM)f stop Wrote:  The doesn't seem to be a forum for "Pets" so "This, That, and The Other Thing" seems logical.

We have a cat. Well, she seems to be mine. I feed her. Technically she's my son's cat, but he moved back in with us while his house was being repaired, brought her with him, and then when he moved back into his own house she stayed.

She's always been king of stand offish. She does not like to be picked up and held, although she likes being petted.

When we go away on vacation and that sort of thing I always arrange for someone to drop by and feed her and change the litter.

Last month we went to Alabama for about ten days to house sit for my wife's brother while they went to Europe. Now that we are back the cat has changed. She practically wants to live in my lap. We've been away for longer periods before and she was always the same when we returned. I asked my son if he had been feeding her while we were gone and he said "yes." An inventory of the cat food confirms this.

She's an old cat. Born in 2002. Maybe the reason she wants to cuddle up is she thinks she's dying. I don't know. I have an appointment to take her to the vet.

I assume she's peeing and pooping ok, using her litter box etc?

Cats are fickle, she's probably plotting something. Tongue

When our forever kitty got old, he'd hang around us more.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

12-07-2016, 05:50 AM
My animals spent most of the last month in the garage due to home repairs. They just got to move back into the house full time a couple days ago. My cat is also being mushier than usual. I think he's just letting us know that even though he usually doesn't want much attention he needs a little extra right now.

It may just have been stressful for the cat but I think it's still good you are going to have her checked out.

I hope all is okay.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
12-07-2016, 05:57 AM
My S.O. has an alleged cat.

It's completely useless. I've watched it watch a mouse go scampering by -- with barely a hint of interest.....

I contend it's not a cat - it's a tribble with legs... All it does is sit about, making annoying noises...

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
12-07-2016, 06:43 AM
When an animal suddenly changes basic behavior, it is time to check with a vet first, you are completely correct.

It could just be that she is more bonded to you than she knew, and your absence made it clear to her. Could be that someone didn't do their job feeding her regularly.

But often it is something wrong, and so the vet should always be the first step. Good on you.

Biker, don't spit venom on threads where people worry about their animals. It's hurtful and unnecessary. Angry

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
12-07-2016, 06:59 AM
Our neighbors have 3 outdoorcats that have decided they own the patio chairs on our front porch. Every day I see em lounging about on em.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
12-07-2016, 07:12 AM
Every time I come back from the hospital my 14 year old tomcat goes nuts. I have to sit with him for an hour before he de-velcros.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
12-07-2016, 04:37 PM
A trip to the vet sounds like a good idea.

She may have simply developped separation anxiety while you were gone. This can happen if your son fed her but didn't coddle her highness sufficiently. We took care of a cat like that for a friend for a few months. She'd be entirely content sitting by herself and would even refuse interaction with you. Until whichever one of us was out came home again, at which point she'd dash to the door and do her best to convince us that the other had been torturing her with hot pokers the entire time.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post