My conclusions on GOD

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-02-2012, 04:11 PM
My conclusions on GOD
My conclusions I have seen a lot of great minds on here debate over God, the Bible and the reality of his existence. I admit I really am not the sharpest tool in the box. BUT even with my small intellect I still can see their can be no God. I have no PhD's or proper collage training. I love shows on the Universe and the planets. I have read a little bit about Evolution from books like : The Greatest show on earth by Richard Dawkins. I found them informative and a good read. I am in the middle of God is not Great and love this style of writing. But like I say, I am no great mind. I was even thinking of leaving this site because I was unable to debate with most of the people on here. I have my gut feeling, but you cant debate with your gut. I may throw in my 2 cents but I wont get drawn into a big debate. I'll never change my mind on God and his non existence unless he comes and slaps me in the face. That is not going to happen. So if a guy like me can see this why cant all these smart people see it too?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like N.E.OhioAtheist's post
20-02-2012, 09:14 PM
RE: My conclusions on GOD
(20-02-2012 04:11 PM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  My conclusions I have seen a lot of great minds on here debate over God, the Bible and the reality of his existence. I admit I really am not the sharpest tool in the box. BUT even with my small intellect I still can see their can be no God. I have no PhD's or proper collage training. I love shows on the Universe and the planets. I have read a little bit about Evolution from books like : The Greatest show on earth by Richard Dawkins. I found them informative and a good read. I am in the middle of God is not Great and love this style of writing. But like I say, I am no great mind. I was even thinking of leaving this site because I was unable to debate with most of the people on here. I have my gut feeling, but you cant debate with your gut. I may throw in my 2 cents but I wont get drawn into a big debate. I'll never change my mind on God and his non existence unless he comes and slaps me in the face. That is not going to happen. So if a guy like me can see this why cant all these smart people see it too?

I would not down yourself on the college thing. Common sense is not so common.
When you have the ability to think for yourself you are way ahead of most college graduates.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 5 users Like Thomas's post
21-02-2012, 07:20 AM
I, for one, am happy that you are still here. I like your postings... there is an honesty to them.
god is not great is a great read and I am not ashamed to admit that I had a dictionary handy when I was reading it.

To answer your question.... have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child?
[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
21-02-2012, 11:04 AM
(20-02-2012 04:11 PM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  So if a guy like me can see this why cant all these smart people see it too?

Smart people tend to get stuck on the "I" in "Identity;" schools of philosophy named after their creators. Naive philosophers such as I blame the You, the Gwynnies, the humble... god occurs when peeps know they are right.

I know Gwynnie's right. That's You. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
22-02-2012, 07:06 AM
I don't post very often here either. It's because I haven't had time yet to learn enough to be able to back up my opinions - or really to form many of them yet. I discovered the world of Atheism in January, only a few short weeks ago! My science background is not all that great - grew up in the Florida school system - and the local library is light on science and evolution books (the only book store in town is a Christian one). So at the moment I am trying to catch up on all the ideas and concepts I missed out on when I was younger, and that is going to take a while.

Ann
[+] 1 user Likes shadostr13's post
22-02-2012, 09:13 AM
(22-02-2012 07:06 AM)shadostr13 Wrote:  I don't post very often here either. It's because I haven't had time yet to learn enough to be able to back up my opinions - or really to form many of them yet. I discovered the world of Atheism in January, only a few short weeks ago! My science background is not all that great - grew up in the Florida school system - and the local library is light on science and evolution books (the only book store in town is a Christian one). So at the moment I am trying to catch up on all the ideas and concepts I missed out on when I was younger, and that is going to take a while.

Ann

Welcome to the club.

I look forward to the time (I give you a couple of weeks) when you feel you have enough knowledge to form and enough confidence to express your opinion.

May I proffer up two of my favourite quotes that might demonstrate that it is never too early to put yourself "out there" ... but why not start "in here" where you are amongst friends.

1. Ghandi: Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

2. Hitchens: I want to live my life taking the risk all the time knowing that I don't know anything like enough yet, that I haven't understood enough, that I can't know enough, that I'm always, hungrily, operating on the margins of a potentially great harvest of future knowledge and wisdom. I wouldn't have it any other way.

So live a little and test your opinions here as they are forming.

Why not?
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
22-02-2012, 10:31 AM
(22-02-2012 07:06 AM)shadostr13 Wrote:  I don't post very often here either. It's because I haven't had time yet to learn enough to be able to back up my opinions - or really to form many of them yet. I discovered the world of Atheism in January, only a few short weeks ago! My science background is not all that great - grew up in the Florida school system - and the local library is light on science and evolution books (the only book store in town is a Christian one). So at the moment I am trying to catch up on all the ideas and concepts I missed out on when I was younger, and that is going to take a while.

Ann

Hi Ann,
Plenty of people (or at least me) post whether we know what we're talking about or not. Besides, not everything has to be about how terrible religion is. Bring up some topics that are of interest to you and see what happens! Smile

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
22-02-2012, 10:49 AM
(22-02-2012 10:31 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  

Ann

Hi Ann,
Plenty of people (or at least me) post whether we know what we're talking about or not. Besides, not everything has to be about how terrible religion is. Bring up some topics that are of interest to you and see what happens! Smile

Ann,
Ironically, Erxomai, at least this time, does seem to know what he is talking about.
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
22-02-2012, 10:51 AM
(22-02-2012 10:49 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(22-02-2012 10:31 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  

Ann

Hi Ann,

Ann,
Ironically, Erxomai, at least this time, does seem to know what he is talking about.

[Image: akward.gif]

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
22-02-2012, 11:17 AM
But... by your logic, you give credence to all the uneducated theists. Again, by your logic, they are smarter than educated atheist which begs the question... why can't atheist come to a God conclusion if it's so simple?

Sorry, not trying to be contrary, but I'm just pointing out that this logic is non-applicable and biased based on a relative point of view.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]