My conversion...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2014, 10:19 AM
RE: My conversion...
(07-02-2014 08:51 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(07-02-2014 08:14 AM)Drich Wrote:  again I point back to my time line. It starts when I was 14. it ends when I was 20. durning that period according to what I had written explain why I was not an Atheist. Now keep in mind the 'dream' I had did not happen till i was 20.

You and your mommie keep pointing to the dream. there is a 6 year period you are intentionally over looking. Address it or I will dismiss your arguement as a no true scotsman fallacy as well.

What timeline? The issue we are talking about is the OP (YOUR dream). Stop diverting attention away to another issue.
Aka: red herring.

@ 10ish years old (I remember because voltron and Transformers was the thing and the kids at that church had them which means 1984/85 which means I was 10ish)
I went to my mom's korean speaking only church maybe a couple dozen times.
I watched alot of tv preacher sunday morning. i like to see people 'get healed.'

Shortly there after bad crap happened, I blamed God.

Nothing happened

Then I started to question God

nothing happened

I turned on God,

Nothing happened,

I began to hate God,

Nothing heppened

Now it's time for highschool. there were kids/Christians who brought their bibles to school. for 4 years I targeted them. debates, beatings, stolen bibles etc.. It was still the 80's and bulling was not only allowed it was expected.

It is with these people and a debate with a young man who was at least 6'5" tall at the time that i expressed my harshest feelings. It was with him and his warnings of hell that had me come up with my theory as to why Hell was not a threat to me and why it disproved God. This is where I honed my arguement to the point I wanted to spit in God's eye and mock God. I know I got to him and I know i shook his faith, by doing that.

So again, how does my actions here with 'Tim' differ from anything you 'good' people do on this site to well meaning brothers in the faith?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2014, 10:20 AM
(07-02-2014 06:23 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Why is hell always down, below, or subterranean? This evolved from Egyptian mythology of Set being the king of the underworld. As I said, the pit of tar is again, an abyss for which you get sucked DOWN. Not original at all.
That's a very good point. "Down" only exists where there is gravity. Out in the vast universe where hell could be anywhere, there is very little "down".

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
07-02-2014, 10:21 AM
(07-02-2014 09:09 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(07-02-2014 08:10 AM)Drich Wrote:  Sorey mom, but unless you can do better with your explaination your default arguement can be dismissed as a No true atheist/scotsmen fallacy.

Once again, I'll do this nice and slow for you:

Atheist: person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.
Agnostic: person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.

So, how can one blame something for personal issues if they don't believe it exists? This is not a "no true Scotsman" fallacy, because your motives and way of thinking directly contradict with the definition of Atheism. I would have considered you an agnostic, but by strict definition, at least a theist.
So please, come up with another argument.

And just to make this even more simple, I'll give you an example:

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man, to rid the world of leprechauns once and for all.
~Since he claims that he's "aleprechaunist", does that make him one based upon his way of thinking and personal actions?
Critical Thinking: Since we can't find leprechauns anymore, can we safely assume he did his job? And because of this, deserves our praise and thanks? Why or why not?
ok now apply this to my time line
07-02-2014, 10:21 AM
(07-02-2014 10:04 AM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  I have some wind chimes you can buy, the bells are hung from the real pubes of Jesus £1000 and they're yours.

*gag*

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
07-02-2014, 10:22 AM
(07-02-2014 09:15 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(07-02-2014 08:16 AM)Drich Wrote:  Here your whole arguement is based on a straw man. You have intentionally changed my timeline to fit your new hypothsis. Again please explain how my deconversion differs from the stories posted in the sticky section of this website.

This is simple really:

You: Blame something you don't believe in for your troubles (contradiction).
Us: Blame the doctrine/dogma/people associated with the established religion.

What's the difference? We blame the human element, not the God element. We may talk about religion, use religion in an attempt to disprove itself, but that does not mean we believe in it. BIG difference. Drinking Beverage

time line sport, time line
07-02-2014, 10:24 AM
(07-02-2014 09:22 AM)Im_Ryan Wrote:  
(07-02-2014 08:18 AM)Drich Wrote:  meh, ill look into it. just did I'm good thanks but we dont need any self pitty. That's an atheist thing.

Wow, total hypocrite.
We use "self pity" as a tool to get over our problems.
You use "God's pity" for yours.
Only difference is we can forgive ourselves. You arrogant little prick. You speak of something you know nothing about. I honestly didn't mind your posts until now. This is fucking insulting.
"Judge not lest you be judged", see you in hell Motherfucker.
finish the verse.
Lest you be judged in the same manner in which you judge another... This is not about never judgeing someone. It's about not judging someone against a standard that you yourself can not stand up against.

I can stand up to the standard I use.
07-02-2014, 10:25 AM
Just going to post this in ALL of Drich's threads

Drich really cannot explain what Faith is. He just can't. I'm not sure why he invites questions.
Faith is faith. There's really no rationale or reasoning behind it try as anyone might to explain it or debate it. Faith is faith.

I'd much rather see Drich just be intellectually honest and say "I cannot explain faith. I believe as I believe." and leave it at that.

**Bible verses are always open to interpretation never mind the fact that that book is (1) just a book regardless if it was 'divinely inspired' and (2) was written by Men......aka Mortal men (therein lies the ultimate fallibility)
**Personal experiences do not count as evidence no matter how many theists wish to believe that they do. Personal experiences don't count with magical rituals, ghosts or a yeti. Just doesn't count - not on an academic or intellectual level.

Faith is faith. Kinda lives in its own realm and that realm and reality really don't blend.
Information, Argumentation and Education are the enemies of faith. Faith requires belief in what cannot be explained nor seen.
Done.

If you want to believe and have faith - fine. So be it. But at least be reasonable. Admit that you believe in something you cannot prove nor explain. You're talking about a GOD for petesake........... there's NO explanation for that. At least be honest. IF not with us...........be honest with yourself.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 5 users Like WitchSabrina's post
07-02-2014, 10:27 AM
(07-02-2014 10:03 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Drich - I don't have to be a psychologist to figure out that you had fears surrounding your doubts regarding god. Maybe not religion in particular, but god in general.

You say you weren't a "christian" and didn't grow up around it, then what was all that yammering about going to church when you were little?

So due to these fears that come with "what if I'm wrong?!?!", your fear was realized in your dream. Its just your subconscious talking to you. Telling you that you are afraid of being wrong about disbelief in god.

We all had these fears, and they are completely understandable and even relatable. And we all found our way out of that fear through self soothing. Some of us shrug and say, "fuck it. If god would send me to hell despite being a good person simply because I didn't believe, he is a dickhead and I don't want to be around him for eternity." Some people think, "atheist have made hell a better place by now." the list goes on and on.

You chose to self soothe by reaffirming a belief in god, regardless of your doubts. You shoved it way way down and buried it. Tell me though...you really think god - if he exists as described - wouldn't know the difference ? What kind of chump do you take him for?!

Actually I am not afraid about being wrong.. Because if It turns out that I am I will gladly accept my fate whatever it is going to be. If allah is there at my judgement he'd better have me chained because I might want to try and get a peice of Him.
(old habbits die hard.)
07-02-2014, 10:31 AM
(07-02-2014 09:54 AM)Cathym112 Wrote:  Last night I had a dream that I was late for work. I hurried and got onto the subway, only to realize that I wasn't wearing any pants.

Then, as I ran to find the closest mall to get some pants, the guard told me I only had 10 seconds to eject before the mall closed.

Suddenly, I was in a house that was not my house but it was my house with a my dog that was pooping on a very expensive carpet and I was upset that I would now have to pay for this carpet and when I reached into my pocket for the money, turns out I had still not put any pants on.

Must be god telling me to stop going to bed naked.
Laugh out load
Yeah he's telling you to enjoy pants while you have them. You won't be needing them in hell. Thumbsup

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
07-02-2014, 10:37 AM
(07-02-2014 10:25 AM)WitchSabrina Wrote:  Just going to post this in ALL of Drich's threads

Drich really cannot explain what Faith is. He just can't.
Don't have to. God explains it for us in Hebrews 11:http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=heb+11&version=NKJV

Quote:I'm not sure why he invites questions.
Faith is faith. There's really no rationale or reasoning behind it try as anyone might to explain it or debate it. Faith is faith.
Because I do not offer faith. I can point you in the direction of all the evidence one needs to establish and maintain belief. Now ask me the difference between the two if you do not know.

Quote:I'd much rather see Drich just be intellectually honest and say "I cannot explain faith. I believe as I believe." and leave it at that.
Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
OOOOPs.. Drich just did what you thought was impossiable!

Quote:Information, Argumentation and Education are the enemies of faith. Faith requires belief in what cannot be explained nor seen.
Done.
...And that is apart of the reason I do not offer it. I only point to the mustard seed of faith we have al been given and tell you where to plant it so as to get the evidence you need to establish a strong belief.