My conversion...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2014, 11:12 AM
RE: My conversion...
(06-02-2014 10:47 AM)Drich Wrote:  It's simple Mom was a christian. (later in life. she started out buddhist.) Dragged me to church a few dozen times. bad stuff happened i hated God for it. then started to question God. Found what I thought was proof there could be no God. Then slowly started to test my anti theism, got no response went into all out rebellion, still nothing then started to taunt God.

Isn't it interesting that your dream took on a shape very similar to the experiences that you had in real life and had a particularly Christian flavour.

I on the other hand was raised in an environment that embraced spiritulism, mediums and modern day superstitions and my dream consisted of a ghostly apparition of pure evil.

What's even weirder is one summer when I started working as an apple picker. The first night after starting I dreamt about picking apples.

I can only think there must be some common denominator here, like for example, that it's the same brain being used for sensing when you are awake and dreaming at night.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
06-02-2014, 11:13 AM
(06-02-2014 11:03 AM)Drich Wrote:  
(06-02-2014 10:57 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  You can't blame something you don't believe to exist on your problems. The simple truth is that you were a believer. You wanted to believe and needed your own brand of proof. The dream was nothing more than your brain's way of rationalizing what you knew deep down to believe.

Yes, mental gymnastics.

Shoo fly.

no true scotsman much??

No, this is by your own words...Your story makes no sense -- you cannot blame something you don't believe to exist for your troubles! It's impossible. You had to have believed, even a little bit in order to blame him to begin with!

I can't blame Zeus for my troubles....I can't blame Shiva for my troubles I cannot blame God either.....I do not believe they exist.

Which brings me to another point. Had your mother still believed in the Buddha, would you have blamed him?

Now....
Shoo fly!

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
06-02-2014, 11:13 AM
(06-02-2014 11:03 AM)Drich Wrote:  no true scotsman much??

Actually no. Not at all. You clearly don't know the definition of that fallacy. You just pop out those words when you have no other response. Same old Drish as on AF. How many converts did you have there again ?
Oh right.

None.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
06-02-2014, 11:17 AM
(06-02-2014 11:12 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Isn't it interesting that your dream took on a shape very similar to the experiences that you had in real life and had a particularly Christian flavour.

I on the other hand was raised in an environment that embraced spiritulism, mediums and modern day superstitions and my dream consisted of a ghostly apparition of pure evil.

What's even weirder is one summer when I started working as an apple picker. The first night after starting I dreamt about picking apples.

I can only think there must be some common denominator here, like for example, that it's the same brain being used for sensing when you are awake and dreaming at night.
again mom was an ex-buddhist. Her parents that lived with us still were. My dad was a hippy who as luck would have it also believed (and still does to some extent) in spiritual hippy feel good stuff. I have been bombarded with all sorts of religious stuff from every direction most of my life.

So, yeah it was pretty neat to have an absolute direction from the God of the bible camp.
06-02-2014, 11:17 AM
(06-02-2014 10:47 AM)Drich Wrote:  then started to question God. Found what I thought was proof there could be no God. Then slowly started to test my anti theism, got no response went into all out rebellion, still nothing then started to taunt God. In in a sense was A/S/K-ing in reverse.

There's your problem: there isn't proof that there are no gods; the same as there is no proof that there are gods. That's the whole notion of non-falsifiability.

You defined atheism too ridgedly, and it didn't hold up to your standards. You can simply just lack belief.
06-02-2014, 11:25 AM
(06-02-2014 11:08 AM)Drich Wrote:  That said, what makes you think that there are two competing theories that make the exact same conclusions?

Predictions, not conclusions. Big difference.

(also check out wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor
"It states that among competing hypotheses, the hypothesis with the fewest assumptions should be selected.")

Theory 1)

The pattern of neural energy that makes up your consciousness persisted without the aid of a metabolising body and the brain ordinarily required in every day life and was sent to an alternative plane of existence by some unknown mechanism where you met non-corporeal sentient beings that judged you. One of these non-corporeal beings was over 2,000 years old and not subject to the second law of thermodynamics.

Theory 2)

You had a dream that felt more real than ordinary dreams because you were suffering from disturbed sleeping patterns.
06-02-2014, 11:26 AM
(06-02-2014 11:17 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(06-02-2014 10:47 AM)Drich Wrote:  then started to question God. Found what I thought was proof there could be no God. Then slowly started to test my anti theism, got no response went into all out rebellion, still nothing then started to taunt God. In in a sense was A/S/K-ing in reverse.

There's your problem: there isn't proof that there are no gods; the same as there is no proof that there are gods. That's the whole notion of non-falsifiability.

You defined atheism too ridgedly, and it didn't hold up to your standards. You can simply just lack belief.

I think it was a confirmation bias. Like Evenheathen once said, 'I get a tickle in my taint, it must be god!'

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

06-02-2014, 11:28 AM
(06-02-2014 11:17 AM)Drich Wrote:  
(06-02-2014 11:12 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  Isn't it interesting that your dream took on a shape very similar to the experiences that you had in real life and had a particularly Christian flavour.

again mom was an ex-buddhist. Her parents that lived with us still were. My dad was a hippy who as luck would have it also believed (and still does to some extent) in spiritual hippy feel good stuff. I have been bombarded with all sorts of religious stuff from every direction most of my life.

So, yeah it was pretty neat to have an absolute direction from the God of the bible camp.

I think we need a new sub-section added to the forum simply for dealing with/discussing/sharing Mommy-Issues.

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
06-02-2014, 11:32 AM
(06-02-2014 11:13 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  No, this is by your own words...Your story makes no sense --
Only if yoou choose to only look at the section of my story that has brought you confusion, and ignore everything else that has been said since then.

Quote:you cannot blame something you don't believe to exist for your troubles!
Not true. The primary reason current Atheist who were once theists exist is because Atheist find issue with the understanding of the God they grew up with. This is not resolved, then the former theist seperates himself from belief in God.
Some of your members here claim most of you started out this way. Are you saying the majority of the people who claim to be atheist on this site are still really theist?

Quote: It's impossible. You had to have believed, even a little bit in order to blame him to begin with!
I wasmaybe 10 when i went to church with my mom.. so like your atheist converts i at that time believed. Bad things happened, I hit my teens and highschool I turned my back on God and hated Christians. I even made fun of those who brought their bibles to school and prayed around the flag pole. I followed the path that most of you did like it or not/scotsmen or not.

Quote:I can't blame Zeus for my troubles....I can't blame Shiva for my troubles I cannot blame God either.....I do not believe they exist.
Are you willfully being obstinate or do you really not understand that the majority of atheist 'Deconvert' as i did? You even got a deconversion sticky thread. How do you not get this?

Quote:Which brings me to another point. Had your mother still believed in the Buddha, would you have blamed him?
Buddhism does not work that way. budda is not a god. The budda was a man who found spiritual enlightment. Buddhists are to walk the path to find said enlightment. 'suffering' is supposed to be apart of one's journey.

Quote:Now....
Shoo fly!
You can 'shoo' me if you like but you will have to turn your back on logic and reason to do it. Or you can just stop posting. My promise to you and everyone else i will stop responding when you loose intrest in what is being discussed for whatever reason. I am not into beating people with their own words or understandings when they want to call it quits.
06-02-2014, 11:33 AM
(06-02-2014 11:17 AM)Drich Wrote:  again mom was an ex-buddhist. Her parents that lived with us still were. My dad was a hippy who as luck would have it also believed (and still does to some extent) in spiritual hippy feel good stuff.

Buddhism isn't scary. On the other hand, the idea of Hell and the idea of malevolent wandering spirits can both be terrifying,

Both our dreams were scary.

You didn't have a nightmare about the Buddha in the same way that people don't have nightmares about cute fluffy puppies and chocolate.