06-02-2014, 11:35 AM
RE: My conversion...
Shoo fly...

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2014, 11:35 AM
(06-02-2014 11:06 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  Wait a sec.

*YOU* have a nightmare, and because of that *I* am supposed to start believing all that garbage?

Not how it works, son.

ahh, no. Who said anything about that?

I was asked several times why i believed what I believed. This thread is the why answered.

What I do say if one needs something like this experience for themselves all they need do is A/S/K and God will be happy to show them what they need to see.
06-02-2014, 11:41 AM
(06-02-2014 11:25 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(06-02-2014 11:08 AM)Drich Wrote:  That said, what makes you think that there are two competing theories that make the exact same conclusions?

Predictions, not conclusions. Big difference.

(also check out wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor
"It states that among competing hypotheses, the hypothesis with the fewest assumptions should be selected.")

Theory 1)

The pattern of neural energy that makes up your consciousness persisted without the aid of a metabolising body and the brain ordinarily required in every day life and was sent to an alternative plane of existence by some unknown mechanism where you met non-corporeal sentient beings that judged you. One of these non-corporeal beings was over 2,000 years old and not subject to the second law of thermodynamics.

Theory 2)

You had a dream that felt more real than ordinary dreams because you were suffering from disturbed sleeping patterns.

ah, no. your changing the 'modified razo' to fit your arguement. That is why I left the link so you would know what the orginal intent of the razor was, then you could see your misuse of it and stop before you gave me an oppertunity to rebuke you harshly for it.

The Razor per the link i provided actually states that:
"Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate"
"Frustra fit per plura quod potest fieri per pauciora"
"Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem"
-or-
"Entities should not be multiplied unnecessarily."

Which is a long way from:"when you have two competing theories that make exactly the same predictions, the simpler one is the better."
but i let you have that because that is what most atheist believe. To change the perviously modified version, is not going to be allow here, because at that point it no longer can be considered OCCAM'S Razor. Maybe Mathildia's Razor.. but I got a feeling even for you that does not have the legitmacy you were looking to go with when you decided to pair your 'razor' with Occam's.
06-02-2014, 11:46 AM
(06-02-2014 11:26 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I think it was a confirmation bias. Like Evenheathen once said, 'I get a tickle in my taint, it must be god!'

Lol. I read that as "If 'I get a tickle in my taint, it must be good!'".

That would be a good rule to live by.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
06-02-2014, 12:16 PM
I'm sorry it seems to me that with all your mental gymnastics and confirmation bias that it's you who have dismissed logic and reason.

Don't think of us as nasty atheists discounting or even shitting on your conversion story.

Think of it this way, we're just pointing out the flaws in your plot so you can improve your story for the next time you share it. Smile

Yes, and....
Shoo fly

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
06-02-2014, 12:30 PM
(06-02-2014 11:32 AM)Drich Wrote:  
Quote:you cannot blame something you don't believe to exist for your troubles!
Not true. The primary reason current Atheist who were once theists exist is because Atheist find issue with the understanding of the God they grew up with. This is not resolved, then the former theist seperates himself from belief in God.
Some of your members here claim most of you started out this way. Are you saying the majority of the people who claim to be atheist on this site are still really theist?
How are you missing this? If you don't believe in "god", you cannot blame "god" because there is nothing to blame. That's all there is to it. No atheist blames "god" for anything.

You can reject the concept of god and even blame the concept for certain things, but you wouldn't be taunting "god" or daring "god" to send you to hell anymore than you would be taunting Zeus or daring Zeus to send you to hell. I mean exactly who were you speaking to when you were taunting and daring? Think about it.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
06-02-2014, 12:37 PM
tl/dr version-

It came to me in a dream.

Sounds legit. Dodgy

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post
06-02-2014, 01:38 PM
Sounds like Sleep Paralysis to me. Pretty common.
[+] 2 users Like Pippen's post
06-02-2014, 01:39 PM
(06-02-2014 12:30 PM)Impulse Wrote:  
(06-02-2014 11:32 AM)Drich Wrote:  Not true. The primary reason current Atheist who were once theists exist is because Atheist find issue with the understanding of the God they grew up with. This is not resolved, then the former theist seperates himself from belief in God.
Some of your members here claim most of you started out this way. Are you saying the majority of the people who claim to be atheist on this site are still really theist?
How are you missing this? If you don't believe in "god", you cannot blame "god" because there is nothing to blame. That's all there is to it. No atheist blames "god" for anything.

You can reject the concept of god and even blame the concept for certain things, but you wouldn't be taunting "god" or daring "god" to send you to hell anymore than you would be taunting Zeus or daring Zeus to send you to hell. I mean exactly who were you speaking to when you were taunting and daring? Think about it.

maybe take sometime and READ what I write before commenting.

When I was 10ish i went to church with my mom. believed in God.

Bad stuff happened Blamed God

Then questioned God/God's existance No answer

Challenged God no answer

Decided I was an atheist because I did not believe there was a God.

So tell me again how does this differ from 12 pages of this:
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...sion-story
06-02-2014, 01:40 PM
(06-02-2014 01:38 PM)Pippen Wrote:  Sounds like Sleep Paralysis to me. Pretty common.

So tell me why you think God can't use something like 'sleep paralysis?' Do you have some sort of proof or is this a matter of faith?