My coworker is a non believer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2016, 08:29 AM
My coworker is a non believer
There are three people in this building.
2 of us are non believers. Yay! But I learned through the other that the manager is religious and is negative-ish towards her.
Saying things like you're an athiest and will go to hell

So a positive and a negative
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2016, 08:32 AM
RE: My coworker is a non believer
(01-06-2016 08:29 AM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  But I learned through the other that the manager is religious and is negative-ish towards her.
That is highly unethical. Isn't that discrimination?

If there was a legitimate HR dept, that would be easily reportable. Not that you would want to get yourself involved in a mess like that.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
01-06-2016, 08:36 AM
(01-06-2016 08:32 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  
(01-06-2016 08:29 AM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  But I learned through the other that the manager is religious and is negative-ish towards her.
That is highly unethical. Isn't that discrimination?

If there was a legitimate HR dept, that would be easily reportable. Not that you would want to get yourself involved in a mess like that.

Well what I think is the manager just picks on her and that it's not as serious as the girl said..
i honestly can't see the manager tearing someone down over it.
I'm not willing to find out though because the manager knows my dad.
01-06-2016, 09:59 AM
(01-06-2016 08:36 AM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  Well what I think is the manager just picks on her and that it's not as serious as the girl said..
i honestly can't see the manager tearing someone down over it.

Neither would surprise me. Some people use their deeply held beliefs as a justification for literally murdering other people, and others are much more tolerant of other's choices. That being said, there are a lot of people who hold fundamentally reprehensible beliefs ("it's okay that they are tortured for infinity years because they freely rejected God's gift"), but feel they are being tolerant.
01-06-2016, 10:02 AM
Religion is not an appropriate workplace conversation anyway.
[+] 9 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
01-06-2016, 10:42 AM
Well let me say that the office was pretty close. I mean they are friends except for this one co worker. She barely gets along so I don't know if she's telling the truth.. She exaggerates a lot.
01-06-2016, 12:32 PM
It's still a good thing that you work with someone who has similar views at least, you should still keep your own beliefs closely guarded. Like Thump said you shouldn't be discussing it at work anyway, or politics since those are private personal conversations you should have outside of work.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
01-06-2016, 03:21 PM
I'm glad to hear that you aren't entirely surrounded by believers.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
01-06-2016, 03:55 PM
Well let me say I've known the manager for over 10 years. She used to date my dad. From what I see she's still the same but a lot more chill. I do not believe she would ever condemn someone to hell.
After talking with the coworker I determined she's got to be making some of it up.. The manager would never tell someone that's an athiest "the church you're getting married in is going to burn when you leave"
Plus I asked the manager later how she reacts to non believers. She said she doesn't judge them she says what she needs and that's it. Her and the coworker seem to have an ok relationship and from what I see it's the non believer casting more judgement than the manager.. That's just by what she told me during our talk about the manager.
01-06-2016, 04:10 PM
(01-06-2016 10:02 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Religion is not an appropriate workplace conversation anyway.

It was always ok for others to talk church and wear crosses on some of my jobs, but as soon as I started asking questions all the sudden they didn't want to talk about it.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user