My coworker is a non believer

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2016, 04:30 PM
RE: My coworker is a non believer
I think it's ok to talk about whatever.. I mean these ladies have no filter.. I think the coworker is just hating on the manager. She has nothing nice to say about her.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2016, 06:00 PM
(01-06-2016 04:30 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  I think it's ok to talk about whatever.. I mean these ladies have no filter.. I think the coworker is just hating on the manager. She has nothing nice to say about her.

Yeah, so make sure you don't say anything to her that can possibly misconstrued and reported to your manager in a way that will reflect badly on you. BTDT, and have lost a job (once) and had a promotion delayed because of crap like this.
01-06-2016, 06:36 PM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2016 06:40 PM by Thumpalumpacus.)
(01-06-2016 04:10 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(01-06-2016 10:02 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  Religion is not an appropriate workplace conversation anyway.

It was always ok for others to talk church and wear crosses on some of my jobs, but as soon as I started asking questions all the sudden they didn't want to talk about it.

I don't care about wearing crosses -- that isn't an inquiry. But introducing a conversation about religion on the job is very unprofessional insofar as it invites discord and ill will. When I've worked at places where someone felt the need to broach the topic, I simply make it plain that I will not engage on the subject. So long as my supervisor doesn't single me out for refusing to partake of religious conversation, I don't give a shit what others talk about. I don't pay attention to shop gossip, either. I'm at work to work. If they want to hold that against me, fuck 'em.

(01-06-2016 04:30 PM)Jewelarcher Wrote:  I think it's ok to talk about whatever.. I mean these ladies have no filter.. I think the coworker is just hating on the manager. She has nothing nice to say about her.

It isn't, though. Federal law prohibits certain forms of discrimination, including religious discrimination, and defines one sense of discrimination as "creating a hostile work environment." This is exactly why religion is an inappropriate topic for the workplace, because no matter which religion the majority adhere to, the are creating a hostile environment for believers of another stripe.

It is not okay to do that. Take it to the bar after your shift is over.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
01-06-2016, 07:20 PM
(01-06-2016 06:36 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(01-06-2016 04:10 PM)Brian37 Wrote:  It was always ok for others to talk church and wear crosses on some of my jobs, but as soon as I started asking questions all the sudden they didn't want to talk about it.

I don't care about wearing crosses -- that isn't an inquiry. But introducing a conversation about religion on the job is very unprofessional insofar as it invites discord and ill will. When I've worked at places where someone felt the need to broach the topic, I simply make it plain that I will not engage on the subject. So long as my supervisor doesn't single me out for refusing to partake of religious conversation, I don't give a shit what others talk about. I don't pay attention to shop gossip, either. I'm at work to work. If they want to hold that against me, fuck 'em.

It isn't, though. Federal law prohibits certain forms of discrimination, including religious discrimination, and defines one sense of discrimination as "creating a hostile work environment." This is exactly why religion is an inappropriate topic for the workplace, because no matter which religion the majority adhere to, the are creating a hostile environment for believers of another stripe.

It is not okay to do that. Take it to the bar after your shift is over.

While I agree with the truth of what you say, I think that small companies get away with a lot. I've seen tactics used by business owners to get rid of people that are blatantly unfair. Case in point, I was working a construction job and gave 2 months notice. I was told, "Yeah, Friday is your last day".
01-06-2016, 08:25 PM
I just listened to the girl talk. She told me her life story basically. The reason the subject even came up is she was talking about how she was pregnant and the doctor said "I think God is giving you a sign!" And she said she's not religious and didn't want to hear it and went to a different Doctor. I asked if the manager knew she wasn't.

Otherwise religion has not been discussed. I don't think it will outside of that.

If the girl gets fired it will be because she doesn't control her attitude towards the manager. She constantly says bad things to her and has a fowl mouth. It will not be because of religion.. She's been there for years.
[+] 1 user Likes Jewelarcher's post
01-06-2016, 08:27 PM
But I do appreciate everyone's comments. I'll keep in mind the things about religion being inappropriate at work. I don't plan on being close with this girl anyway, she's crazy.
I did talk about religion at my last job but it was mostly just to the known atheists about information and what they believe or don't believe.. Close friends. Normally I wouldn't do it because the majority is Christian.
[+] 2 users Like Jewelarcher's post
01-06-2016, 08:45 PM
(01-06-2016 07:20 PM)Fireball Wrote:  While I agree with the truth of what you say, I think that small companies get away with a lot.

That's probably because the offended employees usually do not avail themselves of lawyers. Most people don't want the hassle of an ongoing lawsuit.

(01-06-2016 07:20 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I've seen tactics used by business owners to get rid of people that are blatantly unfair. Case in point, I was working a construction job and gave 2 months notice. I was told, "Yeah, Friday is your last day".

Unless you had a signed contract, you were an "at-will" employee.

Is it good treatment? No.

Is it fair? That depends -- did you sign an application acknowledging at-will status?

Is it legal? In America, yes, so long as you weren't let go for illegal reasons such as race or faith.

As a business manager myself, I tried to avoid firing dipshits (not trying to say you're one, FB!), because if they took unemployment, it raised my share of the premiums in that program. Rather than fire the weak links, I'd cut their schedule until they found it more economically viable to work elsewhere and remove my problem for me.

Is that unfair? Perhaps. But I had a business to run.

By the same token, if one of my employees were spending a lot of time irritating customers and coworkers with his religious talk, I would not fire him for it, but if he didn't take correction on the matter, he would certainly have hours cut, and I would certainly let affairs settle themselves once I wrote that schedule.

Fair? Fair enough.
02-06-2016, 08:03 AM
(01-06-2016 08:45 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(01-06-2016 07:20 PM)Fireball Wrote:  While I agree with the truth of what you say, I think that small companies get away with a lot.

That's probably because the offended employees usually do not avail themselves of lawyers. Most people don't want the hassle of an ongoing lawsuit.

(01-06-2016 07:20 PM)Fireball Wrote:  I've seen tactics used by business owners to get rid of people that are blatantly unfair. Case in point, I was working a construction job and gave 2 months notice. I was told, "Yeah, Friday is your last day".

Unless you had a signed contract, you were an "at-will" employee.

Is it good treatment? No.

Is it fair? That depends -- did you sign an application acknowledging at-will status?

Is it legal? In America, yes, so long as you weren't let go for illegal reasons such as race or faith.

As a business manager myself, I tried to avoid firing dipshits (not trying to say you're one, FB!), because if they took unemployment, it raised my share of the premiums in that program. Rather than fire the weak links, I'd cut their schedule until they found it more economically viable to work elsewhere and remove my problem for me.

Is that unfair? Perhaps. But I had a business to run.

By the same token, if one of my employees were spending a lot of time irritating customers and coworkers with his religious talk, I would not fire him for it, but if he didn't take correction on the matter, he would certainly have hours cut, and I would certainly let affairs settle themselves once I wrote that schedule.

Fair? Fair enough.

All fair points. There were no problems with my performance, I had simply found a better-paying job elsewhere. By letting me go then, he only hurt himself, because I could have been doing the work until a replacement was found. Nobody did that work until he found a replacement.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
02-06-2016, 01:43 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2016 06:34 PM by Thumpalumpacus.)
Yeah, whenever an employee gave me the courtesy of advanced notice, I felt it more important at that point to reciprocate the decent treatment. I never did understand supervisors who get butthurt because someone has found a better job and is moving on, and giving them advanced notice. Thanks are cause for thanks, not revenge, y'know?
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post