My crazy fundamentalist in-laws

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2013, 11:06 PM
My crazy fundamentalist in-laws
Let me start by saying that my marriage is great. The two of us get along most of the time. We are both reasonable and understanding. I would say there is a great sense of trust and good communication. The problem is her upbringing and how we have changed over the last few years. See, my sister in-law and her husband are backwards, dress wearing, barefoot and pregnant, Quran burning, Obama hating, no condom wearing, science denying, Bible thumping, baby machines. I feel terrible for their children, who are taught to fear the outside world. They are of course home schooled, for the sole purpose of indoctrination. I once got in an argument with my SIL about the age of the earth. I am not a geologist (though I do work with them daily) but any idiot can spend a few hours reading about how the ages of sediments are determined and see that it is, in fact, accurate. Despite their nuttiness, I am fine with "live and let live", even with their constant pressure to live like they do. The real issue is how things have changed in my marriage. She told me a few days into us dating that she was a Christian. I assumed that this meant the same sort of "Christian" I was at the time. However, a few months into the marriage, she told me how she doesn't believe gays are born gay. Once again, I thought "no big deal". She doesn't actively go out and stone people. A few more months go by. Keep in mind I was still a "Christian" at this time. We got in an argument about evolution and the history of life. I was basically sitting on a fence, trying to sell Noah's flood to her as allegory, but she wouldn't have it and of course God won by default because he's God. I tried not to let it bother me and a couple of years went by with no further incidents. During the last few weeks, she started talking about demon possession. I have made it clear in the past that I think it is nonsense. "But it's in the Bible" is the response. Then she showed me the Sasha Fierce Beyonce video, or whatever it's called. She was convinced. Then tonight we were discussing some guy who had schizophrenia. She thinks it's demon possession. I think she is an intelligent person smothered with dark age mysticism. I used to use labels like "the crazy Christians". I now know that is just a politically correct redundant term. I have yet to admit to her or anyone that I believe in reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2013, 11:45 PM
RE: My crazy fundamentalist in-laws
Then this is a good forum for getting things off your chest, & ranting about things from time to time Smile I've given up trying to convert any extended family members; they just don't want it, & I feel like I'm being the unreasonable one sometimes with my inability to let "it" go. I still love them, and thankfully, they still love me (they're not of the snake handling variety thank reason!)! If (unlike myself) it doesn't cause you to physically wince, & have to leave the room for a smoke break, whenever they voice their beliefs, and your wife's beliefs bring her comfort, while not bringing discomfort to others beyond the occational compulsory roll of the eyes, I'd let it pass. So long as her belief that gays aren't born homosexual doesn't cause her to shout obsceneties at a rally, then everyone's entitled to their own opinion, however crazy it is. Do you feel you could voice your own beliefs to your lady without causing any rifts?

14-04-2013, 03:59 AM
If you are happy with your wife right now exactly the way she is at this moment, and she feels the same about you, your marraige is good. If either of you think you need to change the other to be happy, you got serious troubles ahead.

Vosur, Anjele, Hanoff.....have you learned nothing in my absence?
14-04-2013, 05:41 AM
Quote:... Quran burning ...

Do they actually burn Korans?

Or just sort of approve when someone does it?

Nonsense is nonsense, but the history of nonsense is a very important science.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-04-2013, 02:41 PM
(12-04-2013 11:06 PM)Thatguy Wrote:  I have yet to admit to her or anyone that I believe in reality.

How crazy is this world that such a small thing as behaving like a rational human being has to be carefully hidden from your loved ones...
15-04-2013, 06:02 PM
They haven't yet burned a Quran. They are followers of Steven Anderson. Perhaps you are familiar with him? I am happy with her and she is happy with me. The problem lies in my desire to be completely honest and the fact that I am deeply interested in natural history and science in general. I was telling her about Thylocoleo Carnifex the other day. I was describing how marsupial predators develop stripes as camouflage. Using the word "develop" made her start asking questions. I explained natural selection and how it's so obvious. She understood completely. She gets that evolution happens at least to some degree. Carnifex was my way of describing convergence. She gets the basics and is general open minded about things. I could have brought up Australopithecenes and early homo, but I'm not willing to turn her world upside down.
[+] 1 user Likes Thatguy's post
15-04-2013, 06:06 PM
Also, people like Steven Anderson disgust me two fold. I am a firearms owner. I am not a gun nut. Something that really gets me worked up is when people who think they have a right to parade around with ARs in public and not get a reaction try to get chummy with me. We own similar tools, but we are not the same.
[+] 1 user Likes Thatguy's post