My crazy mother

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-02-2014, 04:20 PM
My crazy mother
This has nothing to do with atheism but I just had to share my
Mum's latest Alzheimer's craziness.
She called me this morning to accuse my son of stealing the mistletoe off the apple tree in her back garden.
The mental image of him climbing 20 feet up said tree and what a twat he would have looked taking it home on the train is too funny but apparently makes perfect sense to her.
Poor old thing.
I didn't really know whether to laugh or cry.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-02-2014, 04:37 PM
RE: My crazy mother
lol

I had to laught.

Sorry if that offends you.

Old people who have that here usualy start singing nazi propaganda songs at some point.

Which is more or less funny.

[Image: RPYH95t.png]
25-02-2014, 04:40 PM
Both my grandparents suffered Alzheimer's symptoms when they were passing. I am truly sorry. I know how hard it is to watch people you love minds slip.

My grandma was gonna shoot my mom for cattle rustling at one point, if that makes you feel any better.

*hugs*
25-02-2014, 04:43 PM
(25-02-2014 04:20 PM)englishrose Wrote:  This has nothing to do with atheism but I just had to share my
Mum's latest Alzheimer's craziness.
She called me this morning to accuse my son of stealing the mistletoe off the apple tree in her back garden.
The mental image of him climbing 20 feet up said tree and what a twat he would have looked taking it home on the train is too funny but apparently makes perfect sense to her.
Poor old thing.
I didn't really know whether to laugh or cry.

Man, I really feel for you. My wife has dementia (a lesser form of Alzheimers, tho not by much). I really hope you have a support network to help you care for her.

This is no laughing matter, and anybody that hasnt gone through it just doesnt understand.

Hugs for you babe Hug

PM me if you wanna talk.

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
25-02-2014, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the hugs; I will send some of them to Mum too.
It is hard but I do sometimes have to laugh.
I also want to cry because she seems to have this weird downer on my son, accusing him of stealing all sorts of things off her including a dressing table stool, a shopping trolley, money and now, for god's sake, bloody mistletoe.
I was a single parent and she was like a second Mum to him when he was growing up, so it's doubly sad.
Ah well, just have to get on with it.
Was very hard not to get really cross with her today though.
[+] 1 user Likes englishrose's post
25-02-2014, 05:10 PM
As frustrating as it it, just remind yourself that she honestly cant help it.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
25-02-2014, 05:14 PM
(25-02-2014 05:10 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  As frustrating as it it, just remind yourself that she honestly cant help it.

Yes Hobbitgirl, that's always at the front of my mind when she goes weird on me.
You just have to don't you otherwise you'd dissolve into a blubbering heap.
Thanks for the support though.
Much appreciated.
25-02-2014, 05:47 PM
My father also suffered Alzheimer's towards the end. Sad and horrible as it was we still had to laugh at some of the things he got up to. In a strange way it helped us cope. One time he wanted to make tea for my mother, as she was a bit annoyed with him. Unfortunately he put the electric kettle on top of the gas hob and it melted. Dangerous I know, but when I saw this melted blob I burst out laughing. Told the old man not to worry and went out and bought a new kettle.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
25-02-2014, 06:16 PM
My crazy mother
A few months back I wouldn't have been able to identify with your plight, Rose. Alas, my mother is in and out each day.

This morning she called me insisting she didn't need to go live at the assisted living home we had all visited over the weekend as long as the doctor said it was OK for her to go back to the apartment she'd been living in. Her doctor was the first official word that she must not live alone right now.

She's fallen too many times recently, broken bones and had concussions, that she really cannot live alone.

Thing is, I know part of her knows she is losing her memory because she's been calling my wife and I almost daily just trying to confirm what's in her head (which is sometimes half right).

Other folks in the family may have been thinking we were being premature in deciding to sign her up at the assisted living residence. We had hoped on Saturday at our huge birthday celebration that everyone would get a chance to speak with her and see for themselves. As (my) luck would have it that turned out to be one of her most lucid days in quite a while. I'm not sure if she slipped up even once that day.

It's so hard to hear her mind "filling in the blanks" with memories from years back. I get scared for myself too. Both her parents were also like this at this age. I fear what manner of burden I may be to my own kids.

Thankful my younger daughter is training to be a nurse.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
26-02-2014, 07:58 AM
As my grandfather slipped into dementia, he begged (and cried) for us to take him home and couldn't understand why we were torturing him by refusing to do so. Of course, he was sitting in his own living room as this occurred.

So, I'd say laugh. It could be worse. Shy

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user