My dad's claims

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-04-2016, 08:15 AM
RE: My dad's claims
(30-04-2016 07:31 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(29-04-2016 06:51 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  It says in the Bible that god answers all prayers. If your dad is asking for god to make you believe in him again (kinda goes against free will Consider ) and you don’t then ask your dad which of the following applies:

1) Your father’s prayers weren’t sincere in the eyes of his god.
2) Your dad’s god answered them but in the negative.
3) Your dad’s god is powerless to change your mind.
4) Satan is more powerful than his god.
4) Your dad’s god doesn’t exist.

That ought to be an interesting conversation.

Also a conversation that will get someone kicked out of their home. Banhammered.

Yup. Like I said earlier, don’t try this at home.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
30-04-2016, 09:56 AM
(29-04-2016 09:12 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(29-04-2016 08:59 PM)Alla Wrote:  According to LDS Doctrine insincere prayer is not blasphemy. Insincere prayer will not be answered.
Insincere prayer doesn't bring Spirit.
Thanks.

Insincere prayer brings Chuck Norris anger . Chuck Norris will roundhouse kick to oblivion all the fake devotees . And Chuck Norris doesn't tolerate pascal wager bullshit.

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
[+] 2 users Like Leo's post
30-04-2016, 10:02 AM
(29-04-2016 05:02 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  Can you guys help me out? My dad ended up talking to me about my unbelief again.

-He said that he has proof of God.

-My dad said that when he was a kid, he once prayed to wake up at midnight and it happened.

-He has had dreams where God let's him know he's real. (Not reliable.)

-When he used to smoke, he tried to quit on his own, but was having a hard time. The longest he went was 3 months. After he prayed, he had no desire to smoke. (FYI: this was before I was born.)

-People have come just at the right time to help him with things like the car messing up.

-He tried to bring up how people found Noah's Ark when I know thats a hoax.

- I'm sure he thinks satan is trying to deceive me

- He said that I shouldn't just stop believing in the Bible when I'm confused about something

Stuff like that. I'm not good at talking and I get very nervous. Sometimes, things come down to faith, which isn't a convincing argument to me.

I know he wants me to be 'saved,' but I can't make myself believe the God of the bible. I don't find the god of the Bible convincing.

He wants me to ask God to let me know he's there. What do you guys think I should do? It's frustrating because the things I gave Yahweh credit for still happen to me now as an atheist.

The good thing is that he said he wouldn't kick me out.

The fact that your dad will not kick you out is very good. How old are you ? If you can't be independent yet , I advise you to avoid conflicts with your dad. If you are a college student wait until you graduate and find a good job to move out.

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
[+] 1 user Likes Leo's post
30-04-2016, 10:46 AM
I'm 17 going on 18. I don't like to bring these things up with my dad. He usually brings them up to me.

Anyway, today, my dad told me that if I seek, I will find. What if I seek and find another deity? O.o
[+] 1 user Likes CosmicRaven's post
30-04-2016, 10:48 AM
(30-04-2016 10:46 AM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  I'm 17 going on 18. I don't like to bring these things up with my dad. He usually brings them up to me.

Anyway, today, my dad told me that if I seek, I will find. What if I seek and find another deity? O.o

It wouldn't be the first time someone has gone with a religion other than that which their parents forced them into. Just watch out. If it is Allah, he may kick you to the curb.
30-04-2016, 07:04 PM
Today, my dad brought up how he doesn't understand how someone can give up eternity for however long they live on earth. I knew it was a subtle jab at my unbelief, which kind of ticked me off. He also said how there are a lot of smart people who are fools or whatever. -.- My parents also brought up more personal anecdotes and how God has helped them, etc.

I'm too curious in order to have faith. For me to have faith, I would have to give up my questioning and blindly believe. "Oh it's okay of i don't know. God will handle it. We'll understand eventually. Just have faith."

It's really tiring. I hope I don't have to put up with this after I'm 18. Seriously. -.- Yeah it'll be the middle of summer, but I'll be past the magical age of adulthood.
30-04-2016, 07:12 PM
(30-04-2016 07:04 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  Today, my dad brought up how he doesn't understand how someone can give up eternity for however long they live on earth. I knew it was a subtle jab at my unbelief, which kind of ticked me off. He also said how there are a lot of smart people who are fools or whatever. -.- My parents also brought up more personal anecdotes and how God has helped them, etc.

I'm too curious in order to have faith. For me to have faith, I would have to give up my questioning and blindly believe. "Oh it's okay of i don't know. God will handle it. We'll understand eventually. Just have faith."

It's really tiring. I hope I don't have to put up with this after I'm 18. Seriously. -.- Yeah it'll be the middle of summer, but I'll be past the magical age of adulthood.

Unless you're going to cut them out of your life entirely? Yeah, you probably will have to. But once you go to college, move out, or whatever, the reduced contact should make it less frequent, and once you're more financially independent you'll have more latitude to draw and hold lines of personal boundaries. Maybe even push back.
01-05-2016, 08:30 AM
Take all of my comments as snark and not meant for you to use as a challenge to your dad...yet Evil_monster

‘CosmicRaven’ Wrote:Today, my dad brought up how he doesn’t understand how someone can give up eternity for however long they live on earth.
And I don’t understand how an adult wastes his precious time on earth playing make-believe.

‘CosmicRaven’ Wrote:I knew it was a subtle jab at my unbelief, which kind of ticked me off. He also said how there are a lot of smart people who are fools or whatever.
Smile Oh the irony. Delicious.

‘CosmicRaven’ Wrote:-.- My parents also brought up more personal anecdotes and how God has helped them, etc.
Ask them why they think god put them in such a needy position in the first place. For entertainment? To make them grovel? Consider

Angel

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
01-05-2016, 08:44 AM
(29-04-2016 05:02 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  -My dad said that when he was a kid, he once prayed to wake up at midnight and it happened.

Cool story bro. I have another one.

One time in concentration camp, God's "chosen" people prayed to be delivered from being murdered in gas chambers.

God didn't answer a single prayer, millions died. The end.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 5 users Like TheInquisition's post
01-05-2016, 08:52 AM
(01-05-2016 08:30 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
‘CosmicRaven’ Wrote:-.- My parents also brought up more personal anecdotes and how God has helped them, etc.
Ask them why they think god put them in such a needy position in the first place. For entertainment? To make them grovel? Consider

Angel

I think they would say that it's to help them grow. By grow they mean to grow in faith and/or character. (More faith, better character.) In the cases where something is going wrong, it's so they can have stronger faith or whatever.

The same thing would happen if they prayed to something else like a tree or a car. Humans are good at noticing patterns. I also realise that when people say God answered their prayers, they are using the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy. "I prayed and then got help, therefore God helped me."

The interesting thing is that even if they do not pray, they will still say it's God. "I did not pray and God still helped me. God is good. He is looking out for me."