My dad's claims

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2016, 09:33 AM
RE: My dad's claims
As your dad believes in the existence and omnipotence of his god, plus the positive powers of prayer, tell him to pray to his god to turn him into an atheist. Any truly benevolent god would respond positively to a sincere prayer. So... your dad transforms into an atheist, and your problem's solved. Too easy.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2016, 09:40 AM
(01-05-2016 09:33 AM)SYZ Wrote:  As your dad believes in the existence and omnipotence of his god, plus the positive powers of prayer, tell him to pray to his god to turn him into an atheist. Any truly benevolent god would respond positively to a sincere prayer. So... your dad transforms into an atheist, and your problem's solved. Too easy.

They would say that it wouldn't be God's will or that he couldn't be an atheist because of the things god has done for him.
01-05-2016, 09:41 AM
(01-05-2016 08:52 AM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  
(01-05-2016 08:30 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  Ask them why they think god put them in such a needy position in the first place. For entertainment? To make them grovel? Consider

Angel

I think they would say that it's to help them grow. By grow they mean to grow in faith and/or character. (More faith, better character.) In the cases where something is going wrong, it's so they can have stronger faith or whatever.

The same thing would happen if they prayed to something else like a tree or a car. Humans are good at noticing patterns. I also realise that when people say God answered their prayers, they are using the post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy. "I prayed and then got help, therefore God helped me."

The interesting thing is that even if they do not pray, they will still say it's God. "I did not pray and God still helped me. God is good. He is looking out for me."

Arguing with the brain washed is almost always a no win situation and best avoided, especially when you live under their roof. In a few years you'll be on your own and the constant religious assault will ease.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
01-05-2016, 09:42 AM
(01-05-2016 08:44 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(29-04-2016 05:02 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  -My dad said that when he was a kid, he once prayed to wake up at midnight and it happened.

Cool story bro. I have another one.

One time in concentration camp, God's "chosen" people prayed to be delivered from being murdered in gas chambers.

God didn't answer a single prayer, millions died. The end.

Wasn't God's will? Erm... whoops.Blink

Well, he killed babies, kittens, and puppies in a flood so...
01-05-2016, 10:05 AM
(01-05-2016 09:40 AM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  
(01-05-2016 09:33 AM)SYZ Wrote:  As your dad believes in the existence and omnipotence of his god, plus the positive powers of prayer, tell him to pray to his god to turn him into an atheist. Any truly benevolent god would respond positively to a sincere prayer. So... your dad transforms into an atheist, and your problem's solved. Too easy.

They would say that it wouldn't be God's will or that he couldn't be an atheist because of the things god has done for him.

so no free will then. and god is not powerful enough to turn your dad into an atheist.
01-05-2016, 10:22 AM
(01-05-2016 10:05 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  
(01-05-2016 09:40 AM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  They would say that it wouldn't be God's will or that he couldn't be an atheist because of the things god has done for him.

so no free will then. and god is not powerful enough to turn your dad into an atheist.

Yeah. Whoever made the god of the Bible didn't realize that making him onmi-everything, giving him a plan, and giving us free will doesn't work.
01-05-2016, 10:31 AM
(29-04-2016 05:02 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  Can you guys help me out? My dad ended up talking to me about my unbelief again.

-He said that he has proof of God.

-My dad said that when he was a kid, he once prayed to wake up at midnight and it happened.

I haven't owned an alarm clock in over 10 years.

I wake up every morning between 5:45 and 5:50....

If he thinks that's proof of something -- I'd say he shoots for a very low level of proof - and thus is rarely disappointed.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
01-05-2016, 10:36 AM
(01-05-2016 10:31 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(29-04-2016 05:02 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  Can you guys help me out? My dad ended up talking to me about my unbelief again.

-He said that he has proof of God.

-My dad said that when he was a kid, he once prayed to wake up at midnight and it happened.

I haven't owned an alarm clock in over 10 years.

I wake up every morning between 5:45 and 5:50....

If he thinks that's proof of something -- I'd say he shoots for a very low level of proof - and thus is rarely disappointed.....

Same here and i never ever prayed to wake up! Tongue

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
01-05-2016, 11:32 AM
CosmicRaven, I have a question.
Why do you think your Dad wants you to ask God/to pray?

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
01-05-2016, 11:43 AM
(01-05-2016 10:22 AM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  
(01-05-2016 10:05 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  so no free will then. and god is not powerful enough to turn your dad into an atheist.

Yeah. Whoever made the god of the Bible didn't realize that making him onmi-everything, giving him a plan, and giving us free will doesn't work.

its kind of similar to superman and how the writers made him too powerful. makes for uninteresting stories so they have to make up other bullshit and different writers portray him differently. supermans weakness is kryptonite and gods weakness happens to be critical thinking.