My dad's claims

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2016, 11:46 AM
RE: My dad's claims
(01-05-2016 11:32 AM)Alla Wrote:  CosmicRaven, I have a question.
Why do you think your Dad wants you to ask God/to pray?

He thinks I'll have an amazing God Jesus experience.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2016, 11:53 AM
(01-05-2016 11:46 AM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  
(01-05-2016 11:32 AM)Alla Wrote:  CosmicRaven, I have a question.
Why do you think your Dad wants you to ask God/to pray?

He thinks I'll have an amazing God Jesus experience.

You could start wailing uncontrollably and when Dad asks you what's wrong you could look at him with tears in your eyes and say, "But Daddy, I thought you were God."

#sigh
01-05-2016, 12:07 PM
(01-05-2016 09:40 AM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  
(01-05-2016 09:33 AM)SYZ Wrote:  As your dad believes in the existence and omnipotence of his god, plus the positive powers of prayer, tell him to pray to his god to turn him into an atheist. Any truly benevolent god would respond positively to a sincere prayer. So... your dad transforms into an atheist, and your problem's solved. Too easy.

They would say that it wouldn't be God's will or that he couldn't be an atheist because of the things god has done for him.

Better yet, just tell him to pray that you'll become a believer again. If it's God's plan, you will, and if it's not (or if there is no God), you won't. Having him pester you like this or even telling you that he's doing the praying should be completely superfluous to that. Just make it clear that the matter's effectively tabled by those prayers, and hopefully that will be the end of it.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
01-05-2016, 02:55 PM
Cosmicraven Wrote:He thinks I'll have an amazing God Jesus experience.
Why do you think your Dad wants you to have this amazing God Jesus experience?

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
01-05-2016, 04:45 PM
(01-05-2016 12:07 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(01-05-2016 09:40 AM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  They would say that it wouldn't be God's will or that he couldn't be an atheist because of the things god has done for him.

Better yet, just tell him to pray that you'll become a believer again. If it's God's plan, you will, and if it's not (or if there is no God), you won't. Having him pester you like this or even telling you that he's doing the praying should be completely superfluous to that. Just make it clear that the matter's effectively tabled by those prayers, and hopefully that will be the end of it.

Really, any prayer should be superfluous. Isn't this chap supposed to be omniscient?

Dear Omniscient and Omnipotent Creator,

I, the lowliest and least of your Creations, would appreciate it if You could ammend reality on my behalf. I know that You have A Plan but it honestly doesn't work for me and I was hoping that You might rethink it. I only need You to suspend the laws of nature long enough to make me unspeakably wealthy, utterly content, lucky, healthy and absurdly well-endowed. On the off chance that you don't see fit to aquiesce to my demands I will nag you again same time tomorrow and every day thereafter for the whole of my mortal span.

Hugs,
Bob

If god has a plan then it apparently involves you being an atheist right now and you dad should stop meddling with the handiwork of God AllMighty.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
01-05-2016, 04:54 PM
(01-05-2016 02:55 PM)Alla Wrote:  

He wants me to be 'saved.'
I know I was a true Christian before. I've had these kinds of experiences before. They are not actually supernatural.
Also, if a deity does exist, I don't think it's the Christian god.
01-05-2016, 05:28 PM
(01-05-2016 04:54 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  
(01-05-2016 02:55 PM)Alla Wrote:  Why do you think your Dad wants you to have this amazing God Jesus experience?

He wants me to be 'saved.'
I know I was a true Christian before. I've had these kinds of experiences before. They are not actually supernatural.
Why do you think he wants you to be saved?
P.S. I am not trying to fool around. I am serious.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
01-05-2016, 05:59 PM
(01-05-2016 05:28 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(01-05-2016 04:54 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  He wants me to be 'saved.'
Why do you think he wants you to be saved?

So I can be in heaven with him instead of not being in heaven. I know he means well. I simply do not believe in the Christian God or the bible.
01-05-2016, 06:38 PM
(01-05-2016 05:59 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  
(01-05-2016 05:28 PM)Alla Wrote:  Why do you think he wants you to be saved?

So I can be in heaven with him instead of not being in heaven. I know he means well. I simply do not believe in the Christian God or the bible.

Just a bit of context for you, CosmicRaven, if you didn't know it already. Alla's one of various theists here to evangelize.
01-05-2016, 11:47 PM
(01-05-2016 02:55 PM)Alla Wrote:  

[Image: BkMqMsV.gif?zoom=2]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post