My dad's claims

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2016, 07:51 AM
RE: My dad's claims
(01-05-2016 05:59 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  
(01-05-2016 05:28 PM)Alla Wrote:  Why do you think he wants you to be saved?
P.S. I am not trying to fool around. I am serious.

So I can be in heaven with him instead of not being in heaven. I know he means well. I simply do not believe in the Christian God or the bible.
Why do you think your Dad wants you to be in heaven and why do you think he means well?

P.S. I want to help your Dad to let you make your own choices. I want to help you to say the right words to him so you can continue to believe what ever you want and that both of you would still have peace.

English is my second language.
I AM DEPLORABLE AND IRREDEEMABLE
SHE PERSISTED WE RESISTED
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2016, 08:01 AM
(02-05-2016 07:51 AM)Alla Wrote:  
(01-05-2016 05:59 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  So I can be in heaven with him instead of not being in heaven. I know he means well. I simply do not believe in the Christian God or the bible.
Why do you think your Dad wants you to be in heaven and why do you think he means well?

P.S. I want to help your Dad to let you make your own choices. I want to help you to say the right words to him so you can continue to believe what ever you want and that both of you would still have peace.

He wants me to go to heaven because he likes the idea of it I guess. I think he means well because he likes heaven and is trying to get me to be saved so I can go? I'm not sure how to answer your questions.
02-05-2016, 09:18 AM
CosmicRaven Wrote:I'm not sure how to answer your questions.
I see.
CosmicRaven Wrote:He wants me to go to heaven BECAUSE he likes the idea of it I guess.
I think he means well BECAUSE he likes heaven and is trying to get me to be saved so I can go?
Could it be that your Dad wants you to go heaven BECAUSE he LOVES you?
Let me know what you think.

02-05-2016, 09:22 AM
(02-05-2016 09:18 AM)Alla Wrote:  
I see.
CosmicRaven Wrote:He wants me to go to heaven BECAUSE he likes the idea of it I guess.
I think he means well BECAUSE he likes heaven and is trying to get me to be saved so I can go?
Is that loving someone or loving the idea of someone?

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
02-05-2016, 09:42 AM
I just want to know if CosmicRaven believes his/her(sorry, I don't know gender) Dad loves him/her.

02-05-2016, 10:58 AM
I see.

Of course that is his motivation. Just because you like an idea of something, it doesn't make it so. I love the idea of exploring the depths of space in a starship that goes faster than light. That doesn't make it a real thing. Although, there is far more evidence of the Starship Enterprise, than there is for your god.
02-05-2016, 12:24 PM
I see.

Of course most of us can say our theist friends and family want us to go to Heaven. Just because your beliefs don't include an eternity of Hell for not believing doesn't mean every Christian agrees with you. My parents believe Hell is a real place that you will get to unless you believe in God, choose Jesus as your savior and repent your sins. If this doesn't happen you will be tortured in flames forever.

My parents have always wanted me to change my mind, go back to church, confess my sins, etc. so I will go to Heaven. They are only doing this because they love me and don't want me to suffer but why should I believe in something just so I won't be punished later? If not believing in it doesn't make me a bad person or negatively affect my life in any way why should it matter? The only reason is I might suffer later. My parents have never given any other reason to believe, it's the only one that matters in the end and it's not good enough since I don't believe Hell is a real place.

I understand that you believe after we die we still get a chance to learn that God is real, listen to the gospel and be rewarded which is nice and all but it doesn't match up with what I was raised to believe. Even if that was true it's still not a good reason for me to believe now if I can be converted later after I die, may as well keep living as an atheist and try to be a good person regardless because it's the right thing to do.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like SitaSky's post
02-05-2016, 02:28 PM
SitaSky Wrote:to the gospel and be rewarded which is nice and all but it doesn't match up with what I was raised to believe. Even if that was true it's still not a good reason for me to believe now if I can be converted later after I die,
I am not trying to convince CosmicRaven to be converted to his/her Dad's faith/religion.
I want to help CosmicRaven's Dad to have peace over his child's choice.

02-05-2016, 02:32 PM
(02-05-2016 09:18 AM)Alla Wrote:  Could it be that your Dad wants you to go heaven BECAUSE he LOVES you?

(01-05-2016 06:38 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  Just a bit of context for you, CosmicRaven, if you didn't know it already. Alla's one of various theists here to evangelize.

A bit more context for you CR. Alla's brick as a thick sandwich and trying to lead you by the nose to conclusions that you reached long ago. She's a little punch drunk on account of the drain bamage sustained from years as an LDS apologist.

She's having a hard time with the notion that doing something to somebody that you love because you love them and because of your beliefs can still be tyrranical and more than a little annoying.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 3 users Like Paleophyte's post
02-05-2016, 02:33 PM
(02-05-2016 02:28 PM)Alla Wrote:  
SitaSky Wrote:to the gospel and be rewarded which is nice and all but it doesn't match up with what I was raised to believe. Even if that was true it's still not a good reason for me to believe now if I can be converted later after I die,
I am not trying to convince CosmicRaven to be converted to his/her Dad's faith/religion.
I want to help CosmicRaven's Dad to have peace over his child's choice.

Then you are talking to the wrong person silly.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 3 users Like Paleophyte's post