My dad's claims

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-05-2016, 03:09 PM
RE: My dad's claims
(03-05-2016 02:58 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(03-05-2016 02:56 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  Any alternative is better than I hell, I'm saying. Even losing your own identity.

I think I would rather take hell, over praising an evil god figure.

To each his own.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2016, 10:15 PM
(29-04-2016 05:02 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  [Original Post]
If you don't engage him when he tries to discuss it with you, he'll eventually give up. It can be fun to discuss beliefs and such, but if his attempts to convert you get annoying, you can be annoyed. No need to be rude, just deflect from the topic and try to ignore his subtle hints. If he catches on to the fact that his attempts are harming your disposition more than helping it, he'll probably rein it back.
[+] 1 user Likes BlackEyedGhost's post
05-05-2016, 03:43 AM
Red, inserted by me
(29-04-2016 05:02 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  Can you guys help me out? My dad ended up talking to me about my unbelief again.

-He said that he has proof of God.

-My dad said that when he was a kid, he once prayed to wake up at midnight and it happened.
There is nothing miraculous about waking up at midnight. This is a mundane event.

-He has had dreams where God let's him know he's real. (Not reliable.)
There is nothing miraculous about having dreams

-When he used to smoke, he tried to quit on his own, but was having a hard time. The longest he went was 3 months. After he prayed, he had no desire to smoke. (FYI: this was before I was born.)
There is nothing miraculous about giving up smoking. Millions of people have done this.

-People have come just at the right time to help him with things like the car messing up.
Nothing miraculous about people helping out at the right time

-He tried to bring up how people found Noah's Ark when I know thats a hoax.
Hmmm, the whole global flood, killing almost all humans, babies, senior citizens, puppies and kittens is not only stupid it makes the god out to be a monster, much worse than hitler

- I'm sure he thinks satan is trying to deceive me
Nothing miraculous about thinking stupid things, people think stupid all the time.

- He said that I shouldn't just stop believing in the Bible when I'm confused about something
Ummmm, OK, he's entitled to opinions.

Stuff like that. I'm not good at talking and I get very nervous. Sometimes, things come down to faith, which isn't a convincing argument to me.
Faith is a stupid argument, it's basically admitting you have no supporting evidence.

I know he wants me to be 'saved,' but I can't make myself believe the God of the bible. I don't find the god of the Bible convincing.
Saved from what exactly?

He wants me to ask God to let me know he's there. What do you guys think I should do? It's frustrating because the things I gave Yahweh credit for still happen to me now as an atheist.
Tell him that you knocked but no-one answered. Seems no one was home.

The good thing is that he said he wouldn't kick me out.
05-05-2016, 05:06 AM
(05-05-2016 03:43 AM)Stevil Wrote:  Red, inserted by me
(29-04-2016 05:02 PM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  Can you guys help me out? My dad ended up talking to me about my unbelief again.

-He said that he has proof of God.

-My dad said that when he was a kid, he once prayed to wake up at midnight and it happened.
There is nothing miraculous about waking up at midnight. This is a mundane event.

-He has had dreams where God let's him know he's real. (Not reliable.)
There is nothing miraculous about having dreams

-When he used to smoke, he tried to quit on his own, but was having a hard time. The longest he went was 3 months. After he prayed, he had no desire to smoke. (FYI: this was before I was born.)
There is nothing miraculous about giving up smoking. Millions of people have done this.

-People have come just at the right time to help him with things like the car messing up.
Nothing miraculous about people helping out at the right time

-He tried to bring up how people found Noah's Ark when I know thats a hoax.
Hmmm, the whole global flood, killing almost all humans, babies, senior citizens, puppies and kittens is not only stupid it makes the god out to be a monster, much worse than hitler

- I'm sure he thinks satan is trying to deceive me
Nothing miraculous about thinking stupid things, people think stupid all the time.

- He said that I shouldn't just stop believing in the Bible when I'm confused about something
Ummmm, OK, he's entitled to opinions.

Stuff like that. I'm not good at talking and I get very nervous. Sometimes, things come down to faith, which isn't a convincing argument to me.
Faith is a stupid argument, it's basically admitting you have no supporting evidence.

I know he wants me to be 'saved,' but I can't make myself believe the God of the bible. I don't find the god of the Bible convincing.
Saved from what exactly?

He wants me to ask God to let me know he's there. What do you guys think I should do? It's frustrating because the things I gave Yahweh credit for still happen to me now as an atheist.
Tell him that you knocked but no-one answered. Seems no one was home.

The good thing is that he said he wouldn't kick me out.

Thanks.
I guess by saved, he means saved from my sin or whatever.
05-05-2016, 10:43 AM
Thanks.
[/quote]

Of course, the sin that god put in the world and in you when he put his plan into action. Save you from himself through himself.
The whole thing would make more sense if it wasnt claimed that god made everything, including evil/satan/sin, but its pretty clear in scripture that he did. If anything, god is to blame for all the woe and pain in the world, just so he could stroke his long, hard, throbbing and insatiable ego.
How this whole plan gives people comfort is beyond me.
05-05-2016, 10:47 AM
(05-05-2016 10:43 AM)Gordon Blue Wrote:  Thanks.

Of course, the sin that god put in the world and in you when he put his plan into action. Save you from himself through himself.
The whole thing would make more sense if it wasnt claimed that god made everything, including evil/satan/sin, but its pretty clear in scripture that he did. If anything, god is to blame for all the woe and pain in the world, just so he could stroke his long, hard, throbbing and insatiable ego.
[/quote]

Long? I always thought that if the bible were true, then god was compensating for something. Like a 60 year old man with a bad rug and an expensive car or massive truck.
05-05-2016, 10:59 AM
(05-05-2016 10:47 AM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  
(05-05-2016 10:43 AM)Gordon Blue Wrote:  Thanks.

Long? I always thought that if the bible were true, then god was compensating for something. Like a 60 year old man with a bad rug and an expensive car or massive truck.
[/quote]

Lol long as it has to go deeper than your throat (or any orifice) can take, hense the isatiability thereof. What he may be making up for is his lack of friends, with the whole no gods before me thing. Its tough all the way up at the top.
05-05-2016, 12:59 PM
(05-05-2016 05:06 AM)CosmicRaven Wrote:  I guess by saved, he means saved from my sin or whatever.
Its the case of a company needing to create a demand for their product.

Church sells god and redemption. Problem is that you don't need to be saved and you don't need god.

So they tell you that you are born with sin and destined for hell UNLESS you join the church, come to mass, give generous tithes, do some of their special magical rituals (like eating Jesus or getting water put on your head in the name of Jesus) and spread the word.
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
05-05-2016, 07:56 PM
(02-05-2016 03:54 PM)PsychTheist Wrote:  It isn't possible for a person to prove God is real.

Why? What possible reason would god have for hiding?

(02-05-2016 03:54 PM)PsychTheist Wrote:  People don't usually just start believing in God because someone told them to either.

I firmly disagree with that statement. Most people believe in the god/religion that they are raised with. Indoctrination of the young is a time honored and effective tactic.

(02-05-2016 03:54 PM)PsychTheist Wrote:  God works on God's timing, we don't get to boss him around and tell him when and how to do stuff.

Asking for proof of god's existence is not bossing him around. Besides, if I was created by god, then wouldn't my flaws or lack of belief be his fault?

(02-05-2016 03:54 PM)PsychTheist Wrote:  As a parent, I don't see how a true Christian would kick their child out for not believing.

There are christian parents who kill their children for god, let alone abandoning them.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
05-05-2016, 07:59 PM
(03-05-2016 03:09 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  
(03-05-2016 02:58 PM)Birdguy1979 Wrote:  I think I would rather take hell, over praising an evil god figure.

To each his own.

Christopher Hitchens compared heaven to a celestial North Korea.
Look at it from that angle. You're essentially choosing between two hells.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post