My dad told me today that he believes in aliens

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-10-2014, 07:45 AM
RE: My dad told me today that he believes in aliens
I'm not one for conspiracy theories. It really bothers me when my family members and friends get suckered into them. My cousin loves to go with the old "yeah, but he's a scientist." ... "So fucking what? I just explained to you why he's wrong, and his title doesn't refute that." He's all about those ancient aliens. I've always told him when things are unlikely and why. I've also told him when things are possible or even probable, but that we don't have any evidence to suggest its true.

That being said, I did see something about 6 or so years ago that I have no explanation for:

A bright star-like light began moving across the sky. My initial thought was that it was a satellite because it was around sundown, and it was flickering and color shifting like light coming through atmospheric layers. However, it began to arc downward and the light became more stable, like it was entering the atmosphere.

It was moving too slowly to be a meteorite, and it actually slowed to what looked like a stop. It then split into two. One of the lights moved to the left and in an upward arc behind a cloud out of sight. The second light moved right and slightly down; it split into two again. One light going upward (away?) and one continuing down and right. The one that continued down and right then looped around and headed back toward the initial split. All 3 lights met together near where they initially split.

The light then moved up and away MUCH faster than it arrived, fading into a clear patch of sky. I am quite sure that when it appeared it was likely above the atmosphere due to the way its color jumped and shifted between white green/blue.

I had a good friend with me at the time. We were both sober and both watching the same event. I even had my cousin on the phone at the time and I was explaining what I was seeing. Unfortunately by the time he got outside it was gone.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes WeAreTheCosmos's post
02-10-2014, 12:43 PM
I saw something bizarre as an eight year old kid when my parents lived out in the country, I have no good explanation, perhaps it was a manifestation of a kid's imagination. I saw a craft move at extreme speed, stop and hover and a mechanical structure (periscope) come out of the bottom of it as it hovered, it then disappeared.

This was about 100 feet from me, i saw it clearly.

I have no proof, I was alone, I was astounded and scared shitless at what I witnessed. It's one of those things I have analyzed a thousand times, every bit of physics, science, technology that I gained an understanding of over the years would cause me to replay the whole thing in my mind with the new knowledge I acquired as I learned.

I got nothing, maybe it was just a powerful manifestation of my imagination. I don't fucking know, I never will.
The universe is a strange place, even when we see things with our own eyes, it's no reason to believe aliens are anal probing thousands of people.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
02-10-2014, 02:05 PM
Saw a UFO, or rather 3 UFOs one night a year or so ago...

Walking home on a very clear, starry night I was looking up at the stars, when right in front of me 3 very bright lights appeared... They didn't move, and there was no sound, they just stayed put for about 7 seconds before finally they just winked out. 3 other people saw it happen.

It was weird, don't know what it was, I doubt it was anything fantastical...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-10-2014, 04:35 PM
(02-10-2014 02:05 PM)Sam Wrote:  Saw a UFO, or rather 3 UFOs one night a year or so ago...

Walking home on a very clear, starry night I was looking up at the stars, when right in front of me 3 very bright lights appeared... They didn't move, and there was no sound, they just stayed put for about 7 seconds before finally they just winked out. 3 other people saw it happen.

Iridium flares.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
02-10-2014, 04:36 PM
(02-10-2014 02:05 PM)Sam Wrote:  Saw a UFO, or rather 3 UFOs one night a year or so ago...

Do you happen to be on MI5's terrorist watch list?

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
02-10-2014, 04:58 PM
(02-10-2014 04:35 PM)Chas Wrote:  

Iridium flares.

Seen Iridium flares twice before... Once through a telescope.

These were just three lights grouped together, sitting there in a loose triangle, and they just went out one by one after about 7 seconds...

I'm used to seeing satellites, and we live on the approach to Hawarden airport so aircraft landing lights are something I recognize.

My best guess is that they were fire balloons, or Chinese lanterns... The only weird thing was the way they seemed to appear from nowhere, in a direction I was already looking.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
02-10-2014, 04:59 PM
(02-10-2014 04:36 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

Do you happen to be on MI5's terrorist watch list?

Ah, well that explains it...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
02-10-2014, 05:01 PM
Many things are possible;we have a boundless cosmos.
Secular reasoning is fine pragmatically; but there is no reason to fetter our contemplative thoughts................
02-10-2014, 05:03 PM
(02-10-2014 05:01 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Many things are possible;we have a boundless cosmos.
Secular reasoning is fine pragmatically; but there is no reason to fetter our contemplative thoughts................

I'm guessing... Carl Sagan?

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
02-10-2014, 05:08 PM
(02-10-2014 05:03 PM)Sam Wrote:  
(02-10-2014 05:01 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Many things are possible;we have a boundless cosmos.

I'm guessing... Carl Sagan?
Nah! I don't think so.Wink