My daughter's week at church

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-07-2013, 04:35 AM
My daughter's week at church
My daughter Miss 7 has gotten back to school this week after two on holidays. The first week she spent a church holiday activity event culminating in a concert and side show alley. The kids learned songs and bible stories and generally were involved with the church culture. The church is the one my brother-in-law worships at.

I've had a number of opportunities to comment and question the things she learned in her week away. She knows I'm an atheist and she knows she has my support in trying on different ideas, both theistic and atheistic. I encourage her to keep thinking and deciding for herself.

The first opportunity I had to comment on what she learned was when she was talking about the walls of Jericho. I told her that I thought it dishonest to teach children this story about trusting in God's promise without also teaching that God commanded every man, woman and child be brutally slaughtered (apart from a prostitute and her family). That got her thinking a little.

Over the five days they focused on Joshua and the battle of Jericho, Samson, Daniel, and Elijah to reflect on different ways that the children should trust in God. When I talked to her about Daniel living at a time of exile in Babylon she asked whether God had exiled them. I said, well the Bible said he allowed them to be invaded and exiled. She said "Oh, I won't trust God then...". I hadn't even thought of that one Wink

I haven't delved into the other figures discussed other than to mention that Samson was a pretty bad guy, a cold blooded killer if there ever was one. Another opportunity to discuss came up the other night when she was singing one of the songs she was taught. "In all your ways acknowledge him, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will direct your path". She liked the tune. I asked her what she thought it meant but she couldn't quite explain it. I sang it back to her in two different ways to help her get a sense of how I saw it:
"Always obey what you are taught, and try not to think for yourself. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he'll tell you what to do.
"In all your ways acknowledge Dad, and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge Dad, and Dad will direct your path."
It was like watching a kid figure out how a magic trick is done for the first time Wink

I think she'll be ok.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 10 users Like Hafnof's post
12-07-2013, 05:56 AM
RE: My daughter's week at church
AFAIK (and I dunno anything about the actual history, I'm just repeating shit that I read), Jericho as an archaeological site shows no evidence of walls falling down - so another problem with the story - it didn't happen...
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
12-07-2013, 06:08 AM
Yabut. Miss 7?

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-07-2013, 06:33 AM
(12-07-2013 05:56 AM)morondog Wrote:  AFAIK (and I dunno anything about the actual history, I'm just repeating shit that I read), Jericho as an archaeological site shows no evidence of walls falling down - so another problem with the story - it didn't happen...

Even though it is an entirely fictional account, the message of the story is incredibly frightening.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
12-07-2013, 10:50 AM
You're a cool parent - I wish my dad was like you, instead of putting "Veggietales" on. Which I always found horrifying, food talking and shit.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
[+] 2 users Like Question's post
12-07-2013, 10:57 AM
(12-07-2013 10:50 AM)Red Tornado Wrote:  You're a cool parent - I wish my dad was like you, instead of putting "Veggietales" on. Which I always found horrifying, food talking and shit.

I never even talked about religion at home when I went to church. I just quit going when I was 10. It was a non issue, they trusted me to decide.

I'd be very surprised if your daughter didn't end up thinking along the lines of reality. It's not really necessary to refute each item, just to be taught to think rationally.

She is lucky to have you as dad.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
12-07-2013, 12:13 PM
Guessing your wife is religious? That's always difficult, but it looks like you're managing really well. Keep up the good work! Really good parents are few and far between.

Better without God, and happier too.
12-07-2013, 05:46 PM
Hafnof, good on you and your daughter!

Godless in the Magnolia State
12-07-2013, 05:59 PM
It's good when you raise a child to think instead of believe, to ask questions instead of accepting everything as truth.

Was the week at church some punishment ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results