My dog died yesterday...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-03-2017, 07:24 PM
RE: My dog died yesterday...
I'm so sorry. It sounds like he had a really fantastic life with you. It hurts like hell to lose them, but sharing your home with a pet is worth the pain of loss.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like beeglez's post
25-03-2017, 09:39 AM
(21-03-2017 10:05 AM)Emma Wrote:  Thank you all, you are all so kind. I'll be grieving for a while. So I keep coming back to this thread. My wife and I spent the night last night watching Moana and Tangled, just because they were light and I'd never seen them before. I feel guilty for just about anything I do because it all feels so selfish. It's so hard to laugh and easy to cry.

But you are all so right- we really did give him a loving home. He was a key part of a happy pack. Most dogs in the world throughout history have known pain, hunger, and suffering. But we got to give him a shelter, food, water, several comfy beds in every room, toys to play with, treats to enjoy, his own yard to run in and patrol, and access to sit in the sun or shade outside whenever he pleased (if we were home). He was a happy guy and lived to be a happy old "man"- as we used to tease him. He had it all, and he deserved it all. He was a good boy.

I'm sure there is another dog who needs a home at a local shelter. The best way to get over the loss of a dog is to get another. It won't help your late friend but it will help you. At least consider it.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 3 users Like Minimalist's post
25-03-2017, 10:00 AM
(21-03-2017 10:05 AM)Emma Wrote:  ... watching Moana and Tangled, just because they were light and I'd never seen them before. I feel guilty for just about anything I do because it all feels so selfish. It's so hard to laugh and easy to cry.

Hi Emma,
I don't think you are being selfish, just a normal caring human being. You know how dogs react to your feelings? I'm sure he would be happy to hear you laugh. Hang in there, it gets better with time Hug
[+] 2 users Like mustardseed's post
25-03-2017, 02:30 PM
[/quote]

Hi Emma,
I don't think you are being selfish, just a normal caring human being. You know how dogs react to your feelings? I'm sure he would be happy to hear you laugh. Hang in there, it gets better with time Hug
[/quote]

This is so true! Dogs love us, and love when we're happy. I guarantee when you laughed or spoke happily to Luke, his tail would wag and his ears would perk up. He'd be thrilled for you to laugh and enjoy a movie. It doesn't mean you loved him any less.
[+] 3 users Like beeglez's post
25-03-2017, 02:34 PM
(20-03-2017 08:23 AM)Emma Wrote:  I feel like I need to tell the story. Please don't read this if it hurts too much to read about the death of a loved pet. I know I'd have had a hard time reading something like this even before.

Yesterday was a really tough day. Our older dog Luke, a jack russel, died yesterday morning. He got sick on Saturday- some puking, diarrhea, lethargy. He was getting old, but we've had our dogs get sick before. And usually the advice we've gotten from vets is to keep an eye on them for a day and see if they improve. If not, take them in. We'd just switched up his food, and this wasn't the first time he'd gotten sick and recovered. And we'd just, a couple weeks ago, taken him in to the vet and had his blood work run so we could find out if keeping him on his prescription for ibuprofen was going to be okay. His blood work came back normal, so we were confident that we could give it a day on Saturday to see if he improves. We spent some good quality time with him that day. I gave him cuddles, had him on the couch with me, with his head in my lap while I played video games. Layed with him in his extra-large bed for a little while. He'd been eating and drinking through the day, and had been moving around on his own so we thought he'd be alright.

Unfortunately, we were wrong. I'd checked on him when I woke up, before I took a shower. I could tell he'd puked again, but he was awake and seemed like he'd just come in from outside because his paws were wet. So I gave him some kisses and some pets, and started getting ready for our day. After my shower, I checked in on him again and he'd shifted his position a bit, but still seemed alright. We decided to pick up the food in case the new chow was causing him to have a bad reaction.

I did my makeup, and checked in on him once more before we left. This time he seemed off. His hair was standing oddly on his back, and his lips were slack. My wife checked his gums and they were almost white. We began to rush to get him to the vet. But as I pulled him out of the crate, his favorite safest place in the house, he was completely slack. He offered no help and no resistance in me picking him up. I knew immediately something was very very wrong, and took only a couple of steps before collapsing on the floor, knowing he had passed. My wife helped me put him on the floor to check him. No breathing, no pulse.

After grieving for a while, we moved him to one of his many dog beds around the house, and grieved some more as his body grew cold. Later, we took him to the vet to be cremated. We decided that once we get his ashes back, we will spread them under his favorite tree in the back yard. And I think I will carve his name into the tree or something. That was his favorite place to sit in the shade and watch, listen to, and smell the world around him.

We loved him dearly. He had a good and happy 12 year life. He was comfortable and cared for. We kept him up to date on his shots. We had him micro-chipped. We saved him from cancer. We gave him lots and lots of toys, and treats, and cuddles, and love. He could run and play in his yard. We would throw his ball for him. Play tug-of-war with him and let him win. He would chase and bark at the neighbors mowing their lawns.

Yesterday was a hard day. And I'm still really really sad. My mission through his life was to give him a good and happy life, not like my dad did with our dogs growing up. He would be loved, and cared for, and part of the family. And he was.

We loved you, Luke. And will miss you forever.

> You have my sincerest sympathies, Emma. I know exactly how you feel. My favorite cat Suzi was diagnosed with cancer about a year ago and I had to have her euthanized. She always slept on my lap while I watched TV and I miss her to this day. Sad
[+] 5 users Like Gwaithmir's post
01-04-2017, 11:29 AM
(20-03-2017 09:31 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(20-03-2017 08:23 AM)Emma Wrote:  I feel like I need to tell the story. Please don't read this if it hurts too much to read about the death of a loved pet. I know I'd have had a hard time reading something like this even before.

It hurts. I still remember my last pet dying 4 years ago. My sympathies go out to you, since they are like family. Right now I can't even afford a visit to the vet. That's the only reason why I haven't got a new furry friend. It's not the life I desire, since I had pets for 40 years. But it would be irresponsible to take one in if I can't provide for them to the best what they deserve.

We are in the same boat. My wife really wants another dog but our finances won't allow for it. I'd love to have another Sheba Inu but again the money for Vet's just isn't there. The last Sheba we had was 16 years old when one day she couldn't stand without falling over and walking was impossible. We had no idea what was wrong so off to the Vet we went. The vet said her eyes were rolling around at that she had very severe vertigo and that there was nothing he could do (that was the gist of a long conversation we had BTW He knew her well having taken care of her for the 11 years we had her). It was obvious she was in great distress. I elected to have her put down. That is always a difficult decision to make but at her age she'd just about reached her life span. We'd had her for 11 years.

Sheeba is now in a small box sitting on a vanity in the living room where we can see her whenever we look that way.

Of all the pets we've had over the years two stand out Sheeba and Buddy a German Shepard Timber Wolf mix who died a normal death at a little over eight years; he is buried in our back yard. A large stone inscribed with his name lies on top of his grave.

Today is the best day of my life and tomorrow will be even better.
Robert himself
[+] 3 users Like Ro3bert's post
03-04-2017, 11:56 AM
(01-04-2017 11:29 AM)Ro3bert Wrote:  
(20-03-2017 09:31 AM)abaris Wrote:  It hurts. I still remember my last pet dying 4 years ago. My sympathies go out to you, since they are like family. Right now I can't even afford a visit to the vet. That's the only reason why I haven't got a new furry friend. It's not the life I desire, since I had pets for 40 years. But it would be irresponsible to take one in if I can't provide for them to the best what they deserve.

We are in the same boat. My wife really wants another dog but our finances won't allow for it. I'd love to have another Sheba Inu but again the money for Vet's just isn't there. The last Sheba we had was 16 years old when one day she couldn't stand without falling over and walking was impossible. We had no idea what was wrong so off to the Vet we went. The vet said her eyes were rolling around at that she had very severe vertigo and that there was nothing he could do (that was the gist of a long conversation we had BTW He knew her well having taken care of her for the 11 years we had her). It was obvious she was in great distress. I elected to have her put down. That is always a difficult decision to make but at her age she'd just about reached her life span. We'd had her for 11 years.

Sheeba is now in a small box sitting on a vanity in the living room where we can see her whenever we look that way.

Of all the pets we've had over the years two stand out Sheeba and Buddy a German Shepard Timber Wolf mix who died a normal death at a little over eight years; he is buried in our back yard. A large stone inscribed with his name lies on top of his grave.

I picked up Luke's ashes last week and he's in a small box in our living room, too. We had planned to spread his ashes at the tree in the back yard, but the Vet returned the ashes in this lovely little wooden box, and that changed our minds for now. They also provided a clay imprint of his paw with his name carved into it. It's wonderful. I've cried over these things a few times and spent most of yesterday in a melancholy mood, partly because I missed him so much.

I like that he's back with us, though, and no in some strange vet's office or crematorium or something. I know he doesn't know the difference at this point, but I do feel better.
[+] 4 users Like Emma's post
03-04-2017, 01:05 PM
(03-04-2017 11:56 AM)Emma Wrote:  They also provided a clay imprint of his paw with his name carved into it.

We had a paw impring of our first dog on a concrete stair. He stepped in when it was still wet and my father said he'd leave it there for us to always remember him by. We only burried one of our dogs. The second one. I dug the hole myself and my mother planted flowers over the grave. All gone now, since the house is no more, but they're all still in my memory. And that's where they ultimately belong.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like abaris's post
06-04-2017, 08:47 AM
Sorry to hear and it hits close to home because we have a small dog that is about to turn 16. She has been getting sick lately and we've made a few trips to the vet. She has been doing the same thing your dog was doing, throwing up, diarrhea, generally seemed to be feeling badly. But after getting some new medicine and changing her food she seems to be getting better.

But I also know she's pretty much playing with house money living past 15. I try to make sure I give her plenty of love each day because I know at best she has only a few years left.
[+] 1 user Likes ResidentEvilFan's post
12-06-2017, 09:15 AM
I had another dog die on Thursday. We'd been treating Nala, one of our 2 little yorkies, for heart disease for about a year now. Unfortunately on Thursday night on the 8th, her little heart grew too big and the treatment wasn't working enough anymore. We took her into the emergency vet, they did an X-ray and found that her heart was having a very rough time of it. It had grown too large. She was having trouble breathing, and we were already at the max dosage of medications. We had to make the decision to put her to sleep. She was our Sunshine girl. She had such a wonderful and happy smile, a little tail that she loved to waggle, and she loved loved loved kisses and raspberries! She will be missed dearly.

She was two months younger than Luke and died two months later. Both died at the age of 12.

This fucking sucks. We still have Ben with us for the time being. He's an 8 year old little yorkie and I hope that we still have lots of time with him. Now I worry all the time that we'll lose him, too, somehow.
[+] 3 users Like Emma's post