My dog went missing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-11-2013, 02:33 PM
My dog went missing
My dog went missing some months back. I put up signs, checked the shelters, did all the usual stuff when a dog goes missing....no luck. Now I have a little bit of land and basically let my dog roam free. I always thought her life as a dog was pretty damn good....not being cooped up in a yard and such.....free to chase the deer and elk......but letting her roam is probably what led to her demise. I'm thinking coyotes got her.

Now I am contemplating getting a new dog. My question to you good people is this. Should I construct a kennel area or just let the dog roam? Kennel would be safer for the dog....but its like a prison. If you were a dog what would you want? Freedom to roam with a shorter life expectancy or being cooped up and having a longer life expectancy?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-11-2013, 02:36 PM
RE: My dog went missing
No cage. But get a dog big enough to handle coyotes.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 5 users Like evenheathen's post
28-11-2013, 02:39 PM
Coyotes suck, they got my two cats a couple years ago.

I hate to see a dog kenneled all the time, is there any way to put up a fence?

My dogs run our yard which is surrounded by a 7 foot privacy fence, of course for the cats fences have no meaning.

A big dog that can handle coyotes may go in search of more if they get the taste of the hunt. Even if coyotes don't get your dog, there are animals that can carry disease that can hurt or kill your dog if it's running free.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
28-11-2013, 02:39 PM
(28-11-2013 02:33 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  My dog went missing some months back. I put up signs, checked the shelters, did all the usual stuff when a dog goes missing....no luck. Now I have a little bit of land and basically let my dog roam free. I always thought her life as a dog was pretty damn good....not being cooped up in a yard and such.....free to chase the deer and elk......but letting her roam is probably what led to her demise. I'm thinking coyotes got her.

Now I am contemplating getting a new dog. My question to you good people is this. Should I construct a kennel area or just let the dog roam? Kennel would be safer for the dog....but its like a prison. If you were a dog what would you want? Freedom to roam with a shorter life expectancy or being cooped up and having a longer life expectancy?

I fenced the property. Don't like kennels, don't like putting dogs at risk.

I have happy, bouncy dogs, and they grow to an old age.

Dogs are extremely domesticated, and while they still have the urge to chase things, they do not possess the instincts to take care of themselves out there. It's like leaving a 3 year old in the woods. Or an 80 year old. They are unable to fend for themselves.

Dogs also, above all else, want to be where their pack leader is. If you are home, they want to be home with you. He may have felt ousted from their pack and roamed a long ways in search of a pack that would let him be part of things.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
28-11-2013, 02:46 PM
I have 2 Small dogs on 2 acres with an invisible fence. There are coyotes in the area, but so far they have not attacked my dogs.
And if they did, at least my dogs would have had a good life, I think.
28-11-2013, 02:51 PM
Coyotes tend to attack at night and in twilight. A pack of coyotes will bring down any dog, any size, any breed.

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
28-11-2013, 02:55 PM
(28-11-2013 02:46 PM)black_squirrel Wrote:  I have 2 Small dogs on 2 acres with an invisible fence. There are coyotes in the area, but so far they have not attacked my dogs.

Does that invisible fence work well? I heard dogs figure out that if they run thru it real fast, they only get "corrected" for short tolerable instance. I can see a dog in a full sprint chasing a deer across the invisible fence learning this pretty easily.
28-11-2013, 02:57 PM
(28-11-2013 02:55 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(28-11-2013 02:46 PM)black_squirrel Wrote:  I have 2 Small dogs on 2 acres with an invisible fence. There are coyotes in the area, but so far they have not attacked my dogs.

Does that invisible fence work well? I heard dogs figure out that if they run thru it real fast, they only get "corrected" for short tolerable instance. I can see a dog in a full sprint chasing a deer across the invisible fence learning this pretty easily.

You need to train dogs to mind an invisible fence. All it does is remind them of the training. It does not train by itself.

28-11-2013, 02:58 PM
Dom is the dog expert here but I would like to add that while an invisible fence may keep your dog in, it won't keep other animals out.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
28-11-2013, 03:04 PM
(28-11-2013 02:57 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(28-11-2013 02:55 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  Does that invisible fence work well? I heard dogs figure out that if they run thru it real fast, they only get "corrected" for short tolerable instance. I can see a dog in a full sprint chasing a deer across the invisible fence learning this pretty easily.

You need to train dogs to mind an invisible fence. All it does is remind them of the training. It does not train by itself.

We have someone in our neighborhood who didn't train their dog and relies on the invisible fence and each night we hear them tramping around calling the dog who again is running amuck through the forest.

Not to mention the dog constantly barks -- and chases cars. I'm glad we don't live closer.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon