My dog went missing

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-11-2013, 03:07 PM
RE: My dog went missing
Atheist dog screwed on your theist ass. Laughat

I don't know, I got a big ol' house dog. Can't let him run 'cause he's an asshole. Dodgy

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
28-11-2013, 03:14 PM (This post was last modified: 28-11-2013 03:27 PM by GirlyMan.)
(28-11-2013 02:39 PM)Dom Wrote:  I fenced the property. Don't like kennels, don't like putting dogs at risk.

That.

(28-11-2013 02:39 PM)Dom Wrote:  Dogs also, above all else, want to be where their pack leader is. If you are home, they want to be home with you.

And that. Manly's pack of Beagles (now 14 or so, down from 22) is stuck so far up her ass she can barely move.

[Image: ThePack.jpg]
[Image: dogs.jpg]

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like GirlyMan's post
28-11-2013, 04:57 PM
(28-11-2013 03:14 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(28-11-2013 02:39 PM)Dom Wrote:  I fenced the property. Don't like kennels, don't like putting dogs at risk.

That.

(28-11-2013 02:39 PM)Dom Wrote:  Dogs also, above all else, want to be where their pack leader is. If you are home, they want to be home with you.

And that. Manly's pack of Beagles (now 14 or so, down from 22) is stuck so far up her ass she can barely move.

Did you catch the impostor yet?

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
28-11-2013, 05:06 PM
The beagles....the beagles...

I sooooo want one!

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

28-11-2013, 05:10 PM
(28-11-2013 04:57 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(28-11-2013 03:14 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  That.

Did you catch the impostor yet?

Manly's got a little dog-sitting thing going on the side with a dozen or so clients whose dog's she met through training them. $20 US/day for watching them. That's half the going rate and they ain't in no fucking kennel. And they get to be part of a pack. That's the biggest benefit for the dog.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
28-11-2013, 05:14 PM
(28-11-2013 02:33 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  My dog went missing some months back. I put up signs, checked the shelters, did all the usual stuff when a dog goes missing....no luck. Now I have a little bit of land and basically let my dog roam free. I always thought her life as a dog was pretty damn good....not being cooped up in a yard and such.....free to chase the deer and elk......but letting her roam is probably what led to her demise. I'm thinking coyotes got her.

Now I am contemplating getting a new dog. My question to you good people is this. Should I construct a kennel area or just let the dog roam? Kennel would be safer for the dog....but its like a prison. If you were a dog what would you want? Freedom to roam with a shorter life expectancy or being cooped up and having a longer life expectancy?

What the fuck?

Just get a God-Damned bigger dog!
28-11-2013, 05:17 PM
(28-11-2013 05:14 PM)Julius Wrote:  
(28-11-2013 02:33 PM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  My dog went missing some months back. I put up signs, checked the shelters, did all the usual stuff when a dog goes missing....no luck. Now I have a little bit of land and basically let my dog roam free. I always thought her life as a dog was pretty damn good....not being cooped up in a yard and such.....free to chase the deer and elk......but letting her roam is probably what led to her demise. I'm thinking coyotes got her.

Now I am contemplating getting a new dog. My question to you good people is this. Should I construct a kennel area or just let the dog roam? Kennel would be safer for the dog....but its like a prison. If you were a dog what would you want? Freedom to roam with a shorter life expectancy or being cooped up and having a longer life expectancy?

What the fuck?

There ain't no dog big enough to survive a pack of coyotes. He'll just die slower and have more pain.

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
28-11-2013, 05:19 PM
Those invisible fences depend a lot on the dog and the breed. My grandparents' neighbor has a golden retriever and he doesn't go near the fence, he just hangs out in the yard.

No way in hell a nonexistent fence would keep my dachshund/basset hounds in, though. If they saw a rabbit, they wouldn't give a damn about getting shocked in order to chase it. But the thing is, if they get out, they won't come back in because it'll shock them. (So I've heard; I've never had this kind of fence. I have a 6 foot wooden fence and then I have that reinforced with a 3 foot metal fence because the wooden one is old).

Personally, even if I had more land, I think I'd just have a fenced in place. I only let them roam outside of a fence if I am there and watching them (but there are doggie doors in the kitchen and on the enclosed back porch, so they can go outside and play/poop when they want)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-11-2013, 05:29 PM
(28-11-2013 05:19 PM)amyb Wrote:  Those invisible fences depend a lot on the dog and the breed. My grandparents' neighbor has a golden retriever and he doesn't go near the fence, he just hangs out in the yard.

No way in hell a nonexistent fence would keep my dachshund/basset hounds in, though. If they saw a rabbit, they wouldn't give a damn about getting shocked in order to chase it. But the thing is, if they get out, they won't come back in because it'll shock them. (So I've heard; I've never had this kind of fence. I have a 6 foot wooden fence and then I have that reinforced with a 3 foot metal fence because the wooden one is old).

Personally, even if I had more land, I think I'd just have a fenced in place. I only let them roam outside of a fence if I am there and watching them (but there are doggie doors in the kitchen and on the enclosed back porch, so they can go outside and play/poop when they want)

These fences work for most dogs IF - IF combined with extensive training. For however long it takes the particular dog to learn, you need to first walk the line with the dog on a long leash, tell him "no" whenever he is about to cross the line, and with a quick flick of the wrist transport him instantly back in the yard. Do that over and over and over again until it doesn't happen anymore. This can take a long time with some dogs, just a few times with others. Then put him on a long rope and let him roam, throw a ball (inside the fence) and just get him carefree. Then sit there and wait for him to try to cross. When he does - no - and a quick jerk on the rope to bring him in.

All the time he stays in, don't forget to continually praise to make sure he gets the difference.

With this, eventually most any dog will mind the fence.

It is not 100% though, ever, for any dog. It's as effective as wearing a rubber during sex. Shit happens.

I don't think they are a very good solution, and it can take a long time to train. Most people don't have the patience to do it right.

28-11-2013, 05:34 PM
(28-11-2013 05:17 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(28-11-2013 05:14 PM)Julius Wrote:  What the fuck?

There ain't no dog big enough to survive a pack of coyotes. He'll just die slower and have more pain.

I respectively disagree. I've seen our Blue Heeler tear through a packs of them - and a Blue Heeler is not a large dog. Hey...Coyotes might be tough, but they are generally not stupid enough to take on something that can and will hurt them before they kill it. And...that's why Coyotes are so successful at surviving.