[Image: coyote_eastern_380.jpg]
=
[Image: happy-dog.jpg]

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post
28-11-2013, 05:46 PM
RE: My dog went missing
If it is not a large enough dog to take on a coyote, then letting it roam is irresponsible.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
28-11-2013, 05:55 PM
(28-11-2013 05:34 PM)Julius Wrote:  
(28-11-2013 05:17 PM)Dom Wrote:  There ain't no dog big enough to survive a pack of coyotes. He'll just die slower and have more pain.

I respectively disagree. I've seen our Blue Heeler tear through a packs of them - and a Blue Heeler is not a large dog. Hey...Coyotes might be tough, but they are generally not stupid enough to take on something that can and will hurt them before they kill it. And...that's why Coyotes are so successful at surviving.

Yup. Growing up in Kansas, I've yet to hear of one farm dog getting taken out by a pack of coyotes. I'm sure it's probably happened, but it's rare.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
28-11-2013, 06:08 PM (This post was last modified: 28-11-2013 06:12 PM by GirlyMan.)
(28-11-2013 05:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  If it is not a large enough dog to take on a coyote, then letting it roam is irresponsible.

Pack of Beagles could take a pack of Coyotes. ... I guarangoddamteeit. ... Canines ain't stupid.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
28-11-2013, 06:17 PM
(28-11-2013 05:55 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(28-11-2013 05:34 PM)Julius Wrote:  I respectively disagree. I've seen our Blue Heeler tear through a packs of them - and a Blue Heeler is not a large dog. Hey...Coyotes might be tough, but they are generally not stupid enough to take on something that can and will hurt them before they kill it. And...that's why Coyotes are so successful at surviving.

Yup. Growing up in Kansas, I've yet to hear of one farm dog getting taken out by a pack of coyotes. I'm sure it's probably happened, but it's rare.

I live out in farm country (on the edge of forest). All the farmers keep their dogs locked up at night. Most around here use llama's to protect their stock -- especially at nighttime. The llama doesn't know it's not a sheep or goat and fucks up the coyotes.

We have lots of coyotes, at night we can hear them -- awful sound they make.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

28-11-2013, 06:21 PM
(28-11-2013 06:08 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(28-11-2013 05:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  If it is not a large enough dog to take on a coyote, then letting it roam is irresponsible.

Pack of Beagles could take a pack of Coyotes. ... I guarangoddamteeit. ... Canines ain't stupid.

One beagle is an hors d'oeuvre. Drinking Beverage

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
28-11-2013, 06:22 PM
(28-11-2013 06:21 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-11-2013 06:08 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Pack of Beagles could take a pack of Coyotes. ... I guarangoddamteeit. ... Canines ain't stupid.

One beagle is an hors d'oeuvre. Drinking Beverage

So is a fire ant.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
28-11-2013, 06:33 PM
(28-11-2013 06:22 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(28-11-2013 06:21 PM)Chas Wrote:  One beagle is an hors d'oeuvre. Drinking Beverage

So is a fire ant.

Consider Huh

28-11-2013, 06:34 PM
Huh

28-11-2013, 06:43 PM
(28-11-2013 03:04 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(28-11-2013 02:57 PM)Dom Wrote:  You need to train dogs to mind an invisible fence. All it does is remind them of the training. It does not train by itself.

We have someone in our neighborhood who didn't train their dog and relies on the invisible fence and each night we hear them tramping around calling the dog who again is running amuck through the forest.

Not to mention the dog constantly barks -- and chases cars. I'm glad we don't live closer.

The invisible fence works well. But training is really important. It takes several
weeks to train the dogs properly. There are cheaper brands that don't do much training. The proper brands will show you, week by week, how to train your dogs.
The only time my dogs escaped is when I did not change the batteries on time. After
a while they figure out that it is no longer working. They don't escape, even if they see rabbits, squirrels, deers or other dogs. Also the level of the shock can be adjusted. The collar registers how often it shocks. If it shocks often, it may mean
that the level should be higher because the dog is testing it too often. If the shock is to great, it will scare the dog and that is not good either.
But in short, costumer support for these products is REALLY important for it
to work properly.