My drunk post

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-02-2011, 07:32 PM
RE: My drunk post
(06-02-2011 01:20 PM)The_observer Wrote:  If you, or anyone, was offended by what I wrote, I am sorry. Sad
That was not my intend.

Not offended , just wanted to clarify my position.

(06-02-2011 04:23 PM)SecularStudent Wrote:  Also, maybe try meeting women someplace other than a bar?

Gladly - any suggestions ?

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-02-2011, 10:18 PM
The ocean O-O

xD
Naw but seriously. Most the happy couples I know met at work.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
06-02-2011, 10:53 PM
(06-02-2011 04:32 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Sadly my irrational behavior that led to my belief in conspiracies and other nonsense stemmed from the very chants you mention. It was a book by Joseph Murphy - The Power of your subconscious mind.
At first it was ok, I was confident for an exam but then I started wishing for wealth and success while only sitting on my ass all day , and each day I would become more fervorous in my "demands".
So yeah , I need to find balance and achieve something.

You said at first it was OK. It sounds like you where on the right track but at some point you lost sight of reality. This does not change the way the universe works, it changes your opinion of yourself so that your actions will be more condusive to your goals. Chants only reprogram your thinking, it is up to you to make sure that the chants are realistic and suit your life. They are not magic, nor can they achieve magic.

' Wrote:Just two thoughts. You are aware Louise Hay said she cured her cancer through forgiveness and enemas and that no doctor could verify that.

Take what works for you and leave the rest. I don't agree with everything in her books but there is enough there to use and benefit from. Never take anyone as a total expert in anything. That is what religion does.

' Wrote:Also , doesn't prozac make you more violent ?

Not in my experience, nor have I ever heard anything like that until your post. Prozac is a selective seratonin uptake inhibiter. A low level of seratonin can cause depression so the prozac slows the uptake so that there is more constant level in the blood. If you are interested, see a doctor who works with it. You will get better information from there. I take about 40% of an average dosage. It is enough for me.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
07-02-2011, 01:35 AM
(06-02-2011 07:32 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Gladly - any suggestions ?
Follow courses, join clubs...

Also, I found my wife on a dating-site. There's no shame in that! We are both not bar-going people, so we figured, why not go for an efficient way of meeting other people by just stating "Hi, my name is... and I want to meet people" Smile

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
07-02-2011, 05:57 AM
(06-02-2011 10:53 PM)No J. Wrote:  
' Wrote:Also , doesn't prozac make you more violent ?

Not in my experience, nor have I ever heard anything like that until your post. Prozac is a selective seratonin uptake inhibiter. A low level of seratonin can cause depression so the prozac slows the uptake so that there is more constant level in the blood. If you are interested, see a doctor who works with it. You will get better information from there. I take about 40% of an average dosage. It is enough for me.

There were some stories in the news a year or so ago about how anti-depressants can cause problems for teens and even some peole into their early 20s. I don't recall what it did, exactly, but it was linked to a kid who went on a shooting rampage in a school and it definitely had something to do with making kids violent. No idea why it only affects people at a certain age and seems safe for people who are older. Chemistry and biology generally are not my things and when you combine them, I'm at a complete loss.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
07-02-2011, 10:54 AM
Quote:Chants only reprogram your thinking, it is up to you to make sure that the chants are realistic and suit your life. They are not magic, nor can they achieve magic.

Granted but how do I set limits ?
What should I deem reasonable to ask for ?
If I'm at an emotional high I may expect to easily make a woman like me , if I'm at a low I will be happy if I can go out for a beer with friends.
If you know of any research on the subject please give me some links.

Quote:Also, I found my wife on a dating-site.
I'm not the one to use social media. I had a myspace account that I used 4 times in a year before closing it.I'm not the sociable kind , so every invitation to go on Facebook is unanswered by me.If there's a way to be discreetly about online dating - fine , if not , I don't know ...

07-02-2011, 01:50 PM
I think you are over complicating this. If there are things about yourself that you are not happy with, then you should think about how to change them and put those ideas into action. If you're happy with yourself, but you feel you're just stuck in a temporary rut, then just work through it.

As for the chants, this is not my style so I can't help, but I will say that change usually comes from actions, not just thoughts. If you want to learn something new, you go and study it; If you want to get in shape, you exercise; if you want to make some other change you figure out what it is and you put a plan in place.

As for women (and I realize this may not translate well), I always viewed meeting women like baseball statistics in baseball. In baseball, if you have a 10 year career and you can hit safely 3 out of every 10 at bats (so 30%), you just may be voted into the hall of fame. When I was single, if I tried to talk to 10 women in a period of time (usually not all in the same night) and I ended up with 3 phone numbers, 2 of which I actually was able to connect with later, I figured I was on a roll. Meeting complete strangers is really, really difficult. There is a lot of pressure on being witty and catching their attention. And, 2 complete strangers rarely just "click" within a few minutes of meeting. It certainly does happen, but more often then not it does not. And, when there is a bunch of other people around it's even tougher. I met a lot of women in bars when I was single and I'd say that my lifetime batting average was absolutely below that Hall of Fame threshold of .300. I guess my point is: don't be discouraged. Just keep plugging away.

In terms of on-line dating services, never tried one but I have 2 friends who met their significant others that way. The services they both used were a lot more discreet than something like Facebook, but you are putting yourself out there some. However, so is everyone else on the site so any embarrassment you feel is jointly shared, and I think that helps take the edge off.

Anyway, the very best thing you can do is maintain a positive outlook. Focus on what you know are your good qualities: you're a bright guy who is willing to engage people and are not afraid of the big questions in life. That is a huge plus. I don't know you personally so unfortunately can't ell you what else you've got going for you but there is no doubt in my mind that are a lot of things about you that you can and should be proud of. You don't need to brag about them, but focus on them, remember them, and let those things define you.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
07-02-2011, 02:26 PM (This post was last modified: 07-02-2011 02:52 PM by Observer.)
(07-02-2011 10:54 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  I'm not the one to use social media. I had a myspace account that I used 4 times in a year before closing it.I'm not the sociable kind , so every invitation to go on Facebook is unanswered by me.If there's a way to be discreetly about online dating - fine , if not , I don't know ...
Most dating sites are really discrete. But if it is that what is bothering you, that underscores your need for a higher self-esteem to a level where you can state: "That's me lady's! Take it or leave it. It’s your loss."
Also I found this funny song by a Dutch comedian with English subtitles. As we all know, the jester is the only one allowed tell the king the undisguised truth. Big Grin

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
08-02-2011, 02:58 AM
(07-02-2011 10:54 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  Granted but how do I set limits?

Be realistic and sensible. The laws of physics will not change and you won't have an employer knock on your door and offer you a job. You still have to go out and aquire what you need and want, but it is a lot more fun if you like and accept yourself the way you are.

' Wrote:What should I deem reasonable to ask for ?

To love and accept yourself as you are and to feel that you are worth the effort that comes with improvement.
' Wrote:If I'm at an emotional high I may expect to easily make a woman like me , if I'm at a low I will be happy if I can go out for a beer with friends.

Go out and live your life and stop worring about being accepted by a woman. Fear of rejection is an evolutionary by-product of survival. In today's world it is a weakness. If you do what you want to do you will meet people, some of which will be women. Of the people you meet, some will have qualities that make them good for you to be friends with. This is the best way, be yourself and you will attract people that like you for yourself. Act a certain way to attract someone and they will be attracted to a character you are playing and not who you really are. To keep them you will have to live the role for the rest of your life. That will become your prison.

Quote:If you know of any research on the subject please give me some links.

I didn't get any of that from the web so I don't have links. Sorry. There are lots of books on psychology.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
08-02-2011, 03:56 AM
@BnW
OK - the baseball analogy just made me drool , sorry , didn't get that much from it.I like the advice though, I'll keep shooting , I have to hit a target some time. Heard a story from a friend of a guy who would literally go up to women and ask them "Want to f***?" - granted he was well built and had a 97% failure rate - still that means 3% success.

@The observer
I'll see if I can find some dating sites. If not I'll try to throw a party or go to a concert or something.

@NoJ
Feeling worthwhile always seems dependent on others - that what gets to me.
That fear by-product has to come off at some point.Guess both with religion and conspiracy theories it was kind of cemented in my brain - gotta get a jackhammer.
Give me some book titles and authors or ISBN codes and I'll look them up.