My exit strategy.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2016, 06:41 PM
My exit strategy.
So I've been pretty closeted ever since I deconverted, but day after day of having to live this lie is wearing on me. I understand probably for the first time the oppression that other closeted demographics face.

I'm trying to put together an exit strategy, I don't think I can just come right out without it being dismissed or attacked as some kind of mid-life crisis. So my idea is to somehow gradually come out of Christianity.

I've already started by forsaking young earth creationism pretty publically and showing myself as more of a liberal. But I'm not sure where to go from here. Does anyone here have any advice as to what might be more liberal or progressive denominations? I figure I can possibly convince my wife to leave our current church for another, there has been a little strife in the church and if I can move us to a less fundamentalist church.

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-05-2016, 06:46 PM
RE: My exit strategy.
Exit strategy from church?

Just stop going.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
23-05-2016, 06:48 PM
How old are you??

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

23-05-2016, 07:33 PM
maybe this: http://www.uua.org/

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
23-05-2016, 07:40 PM
(23-05-2016 06:41 PM)herrozerro Wrote:  So I've been pretty closeted ever since I deconverted, but day after day of having to live this lie is wearing on me. I understand probably for the first time the oppression that other closeted demographics face.

I'm trying to put together an exit strategy, I don't think I can just come right out without it being dismissed or attacked as some kind of mid-life crisis. So my idea is to somehow gradually come out of Christianity.

I've already started by forsaking young earth creationism pretty publically and showing myself as more of a liberal. But I'm not sure where to go from here. Does anyone here have any advice as to what might be more liberal or progressive denominations? I figure I can possibly convince my wife to leave our current church for another, there has been a little strife in the church and if I can move us to a less fundamentalist church.

Thanks!

Episcopalians and Unitarians are pretty liberal. Episcopalians have great music in their services, but your wife might be uncomfortable with the Catholic trappings, if you have been at a fundie church that thinks Catholics are the debil. There are robes and sometimes incense and a lot of call/response between the priest and congregation.

I sing sometimes at a Universalist Unitarian church, and there is no angry god or hell mentioned, the sermons are short, and they don't really care if you believe in god or not.

Good luck!
[+] 1 user Likes julep's post
23-05-2016, 07:58 PM

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
23-05-2016, 08:27 PM
Cops looked like they really loved the show. Tongue
24-05-2016, 04:52 PM
(23-05-2016 06:48 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  How old are you??

24-05-2016, 05:20 PM
Does your wife know?
Is it possible to talk to her and tell her about your thought process? Or are you afraid that might end the marriage?
Are you okay with being in a marriage where you have to hide part of who you are?
Can she respect your stance?
Can she respect a personal decision on your part to not attend church (rather than trying to fool her into changing churches)?
Or can she enter a joint decision to find a church that doesn't make you uncomfortable as an atheist?
Will she be too embarrassed to explain why her husband doesn't attend church with her?
Do you two know what to do about religion with current and/or future offspring?

These are questions I'd be asking myself if I were in your shoes.

More-so than "telling the world", I'd be most concerned about what happens in my own home and marriage.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
[+] 5 users Like Adrianime's post
24-05-2016, 05:23 PM
Definitely find a UU org.
[+] 1 user Likes JosieWales's post