My experience of depression

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-05-2017, 10:01 AM
RE: My experience of depression
(19-05-2017 03:10 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Depression is an invisible illness.

It's not invisible to those of us who have it. I can see it in the eyes.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
19-05-2017, 10:03 AM
(19-05-2017 10:01 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(19-05-2017 03:10 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  Depression is an invisible illness.

It's not invisible to those of us who have it. I can see it in the eyes.

I can too Sad
19-05-2017, 12:33 PM
Thank you very much everyone for the kind words Heart I send hugs back all round Smile
(19-05-2017 09:59 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(17-05-2017 08:10 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  I've had M.E. for some 11 years now, and the depression for just as long.

You got inflammation of the brain and spinal cord? Inflammation of the brain seems to lead to amyloid plaque buildup which seems to lead to Alzheimer's. Curcumin is one of the more potent anti-inflammatories, better than many drugs. I'd be megadosing it. Hell, I don't have CNS inflammation and I megadose it anyway for prophylactic purposes.

There are some disagreements about terminology, but I have what is otherwise known as chronic fatigue syndrome. Some people say M.E. is something else entirely, but many treat them as the same. It leaves me with very little mental and physical energy. I'm unable to work and barely scrape by doing day to day tasks.

I've become very good at managing all my conditions though.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-05-2017, 03:02 AM
(19-05-2017 02:09 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  You are very right about the calling in about depression. I've never dared to give that as the reason either. I've always just said that I'm sick, without elaborating further. But that also makes them very suspicious when you're sick a lot!

LadyDay,

Yes, stigma again. I used to work as a college tutor, helping folks get back into work after being unemployed long term.

Sometimes I would be asked "Should I put my depression on the application form, under the health question?"

Well, that's not an easy one to answer. Sadcryface

D.
[+] 2 users Like Dworkin's post
20-05-2017, 11:41 AM
(20-05-2017 03:02 AM)Dworkin Wrote:  
(19-05-2017 02:09 AM)LadyDay Wrote:  You are very right about the calling in about depression. I've never dared to give that as the reason either. I've always just said that I'm sick, without elaborating further. But that also makes them very suspicious when you're sick a lot!

LadyDay,

Yes, stigma again. I used to work as a college tutor, helping folks get back into work after being unemployed long term.

Sometimes I would be asked "Should I put my depression on the application form, under the health question?"

Well, that's not an easy one to answer. Sadcryface

D.

Yeah, that's a tough one. On one hand it's only fair to write it like you would with any other health questions that may affect your work, on the other hand it'll be judged way different than "had my leg amputated" would.

I've come to a point where I feel confident enough to talk about my disease with people around me, at least people I know to some degree. Its not always easy, because it's so intimate, but I think being visible is a way to chip away at the stigma in society.

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage
[+] 1 user Likes LadyDay's post
20-05-2017, 12:02 PM (This post was last modified: 20-05-2017 12:06 PM by abaris.)
(19-05-2017 10:01 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  It's not invisible to those of us who have it. I can see it in the eyes.

I see it in their reactions mainly. A very dear former supervisor of mine, suffered under it same as me.

Noone, not suffering under the condition can really understand what it means. Not being able to get out of bed, not even being able to take a shower, to cook oneself a half decent meal or to take care of things that need to be done. When nightmares are regular and constantly feeling the need to hide in your shell, thereby losing most of your social contacts.

A friend of mine, who's a doctor, didn't even fully comprehend it. She does comprehend it on a clinical level, but not by personal experience.

There's one thing I hate like the plague. People saying, pull yourself together, as if this was an option. Or recommending doing some sports or meditation, without knowing the first thing about the ailment.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like abaris's post
20-05-2017, 01:07 PM
(20-05-2017 12:02 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(19-05-2017 10:01 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  It's not invisible to those of us who have it. I can see it in the eyes.

I see it in their reactions mainly. A very dear former supervisor of mine, suffered under it same as me.

Noone, not suffering under the condition can really understand what it means. Not being able to get out of bed, not even being able to take a shower, to cook oneself a half decent meal or to take care of things that need to be done. When nightmares are regular and constantly feeling the need to hide in your shell, thereby losing most of your social contacts.

A friend of mine, who's a doctor, didn't even fully comprehend it. She does comprehend it on a clinical level, but not by personal experience.

There's one thing I hate like the plague. People saying, pull yourself together, as if this was an option. Or recommending doing some sports or meditation, without knowing the first thing about the ailment.

^^^This
I have a hard enough time talking about it without having the daily difficulties of dealing with it being disregarded out of hand like they're some silly bad mood.
Dodgy
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
20-05-2017, 02:18 PM
(20-05-2017 01:07 PM)pablo Wrote:  I have a hard enough time talking about it without having the daily difficulties of dealing with it being disregarded out of hand like they're some silly bad mood.
Dodgy

You know, about a decade ago, I listened to some radio show while driving. They had a person on talking about the depression he had. I couldn't understand what he said. I mean, I understood what he said, but I didn't comprehend it. I was like, how can you let yourself go in that way? There's always your will.

Well, little did I know or comprehend until it hit me squarely in my face.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like abaris's post
20-05-2017, 05:20 PM
(19-05-2017 12:33 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  There are some disagreements about terminology, but I have what is otherwise known as chronic fatigue syndrome. Some people say M.E. is something else entirely, but many treat them as the same. It leaves me with very little mental and physical energy. I'm unable to work and barely scrape by doing day to day tasks.

Seems like there should be medication for that. Ever tried Modafinil ? It works without having the amphetamine sides. I use a Modafinil prodrug called Adrafinil which is available OTC in the US. It's not controlled in the UK either. If I had been tired for over a decade I'd sure as hell give it a go.

#sigh
21-05-2017, 12:47 AM
(20-05-2017 05:20 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(19-05-2017 12:33 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  There are some disagreements about terminology, but I have what is otherwise known as chronic fatigue syndrome. Some people say M.E. is something else entirely, but many treat them as the same. It leaves me with very little mental and physical energy. I'm unable to work and barely scrape by doing day to day tasks.

Seems like there should be medication for that. Ever tried Modafinil ? It works without having the amphetamine sides. I use a Modafinil prodrug called Adrafinil which is available OTC in the US. It's not controlled in the UK either. If I had been tired for over a decade I'd sure as hell give it a go.

Just be sure to read the contraindications and adverse effects! Yikes Sadcryface

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.