My explanation of Atheism to a significant other

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2016, 09:39 PM
My explanation of Atheism to a significant other
I sent this to my religious ex girlfriend when she wanted to know more about my atheism. I don't know why I'm sharing this, I guess to get it out in the open. If you guys want to ask me questions about anything, critique my logic, tell a similar story, or anything go ahead. But here is the email I sent 2 years ago

"I guess I'm going to start from the beginning. I wondered why hell was there. Why would a benevolent all loving god send people to hell, an eternal place of torture, it seems morally wrong. I don't care if you're Hitler, Stalin, or whoever, they don't deserve an eternity of torture. Infinite torture is not just and that's how I started questioning god. So i did some research, well actually that's a lie, I did a shit ton of research over a few years and found no proof for god and some messed up things that would show god isn't real. That's the main reason I don't believe, there is no proof. All we have is a book written by people 2,500 years ago with a ton of contradictions and immorality by god. In church they never teach you the bad versus. They never talk about how god endorses slavery and tells you how to beat slaves. Or how he ordered entire cities destroyed infants women and all. They don't show the verses where god directly commands people to stone a man to death for picking up sticks on Sunday for fire or to kill your child if he/she is disobedient. There's a ton more versus than that, those are only the ones I can name off the top of my head. Google them and check with your bible. It's there and it's real. What benevolent loving god would do those things? And people try to say the bible is historical fact, but it's a poorly written and translated book written over 2,500 years ago and some of it we don't even know who wrote it. If that's gods way of truly communicating with us than that's pretty bad for being an all powerful god. Keep in mind there are many contradictions and flaws in the bible. Google is your friend, look them up and double check with your bible, they're there. And I can't find one way to prove god exists. What actual evidence is there that god exists? I haven't found any In my years of researching this stuff. I asked for his guidance, I prayed for two weeks straight every night for guidance when I was about to lose faith and nothing. I went to father Joe with questions about this stuff and let's say his answers weren't satisfactory. He told me If a man was fully aware of what he was doing and did not believe in god then he would go to hell. Why would god torture me for eternity just asking questions? It's not morally right. It's manipulative mind control and no better than any of the world's dictators. Don't think this was an easy transition for me, it was traumatizing and it took years. I had the worst nightmare, maybe not compared to yours but it was bad for me. After I finally told myself I was an atheist I was scared. What happened when I died? I didn't know and that scared me so much. So in this dream I was was on a hill. And I remember seeing a lacrosse game down one side and marching band on the other. It was people doing what they loved. But it was on an island and a nuke was about to go off in a day. We were all going to die and I didn't want to I just pondered my life and said goodbye to people I loved. I was so scared and tried to go to a submarine except I couldn't fit I could escape. And I just hear those sirens and the bomb drops and I'm going to die and I wake up crying. Just in tears because I was so scared of what would happen if I died. There was no afterlife, it was nothing. Overtime I accepted it and I'm I guess you could say, at peace with myself. I've accepted that I can't really know what happens after I die. But when I die it will most likely be what it was like before I was born, nothing. And that's why I'm an atheist. Sorry it's so long but that's asking me to summarize years of my life. There's so much more I could tell you."

Respect is for those who deserve it,
Not for those who demand it
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Crazysaxer's post
29-03-2016, 03:45 AM
RE: My explanation of Atheism to a significant other
(28-03-2016 09:39 PM)Crazysaxer Wrote:  I sent this to my religious ex girlfriend when she wanted to know more about my atheism. I don't know why I'm sharing this, I guess to get it out in the open. If you guys want to ask me questions about anything, critique my logic, tell a similar story, or anything go ahead. But here is the email I sent 2 years ago

"I guess I'm going to start from the beginning. I wondered why hell was there. Why would a benevolent all loving god send people to hell, an eternal place of torture, it seems morally wrong. I don't care if you're Hitler, Stalin, or whoever, they don't deserve an eternity of torture. Infinite torture is not just and that's how I started questioning god. So i did some research, well actually that's a lie, I did a shit ton of research over a few years and found no proof for god and some messed up things that would show god isn't real. That's the main reason I don't believe, there is no proof. All we have is a book written by people 2,500 years ago with a ton of contradictions and immorality by god. In church they never teach you the bad versus. They never talk about how god endorses slavery and tells you how to beat slaves. Or how he ordered entire cities destroyed infants women and all. They don't show the verses where god directly commands people to stone a man to death for picking up sticks on Sunday for fire or to kill your child if he/she is disobedient. There's a ton more versus than that, those are only the ones I can name off the top of my head. Google them and check with your bible. It's there and it's real. What benevolent loving god would do those things? And people try to say the bible is historical fact, but it's a poorly written and translated book written over 2,500 years ago and some of it we don't even know who wrote it. If that's gods way of truly communicating with us than that's pretty bad for being an all powerful god. Keep in mind there are many contradictions and flaws in the bible. Google is your friend, look them up and double check with your bible, they're there. And I can't find one way to prove god exists. What actual evidence is there that god exists? I haven't found any In my years of researching this stuff. I asked for his guidance, I prayed for two weeks straight every night for guidance when I was about to lose faith and nothing. I went to father Joe with questions about this stuff and let's say his answers weren't satisfactory. He told me If a man was fully aware of what he was doing and did not believe in god then he would go to hell. Why would god torture me for eternity just asking questions? It's not morally right. It's manipulative mind control and no better than any of the world's dictators. Don't think this was an easy transition for me, it was traumatizing and it took years. I had the worst nightmare, maybe not compared to yours but it was bad for me. After I finally told myself I was an atheist I was scared. What happened when I died? I didn't know and that scared me so much. So in this dream I was was on a hill. And I remember seeing a lacrosse game down one side and marching band on the other. It was people doing what they loved. But it was on an island and a nuke was about to go off in a day. We were all going to die and I didn't want to I just pondered my life and said goodbye to people I loved. I was so scared and tried to go to a submarine except I couldn't fit I could escape. And I just hear those sirens and the bomb drops and I'm going to die and I wake up crying. Just in tears because I was so scared of what would happen if I died. There was no afterlife, it was nothing. Overtime I accepted it and I'm I guess you could say, at peace with myself. I've accepted that I can't really know what happens after I die. But when I die it will most likely be what it was like before I was born, nothing. And that's why I'm an atheist. Sorry it's so long but that's asking me to summarize years of my life. There's so much more I could tell you."

One obvious question is: why did your ex want to know about your atheism?

Another obvious question is: why have you kept the email for this long?

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
29-03-2016, 04:08 AM
Next time just use the dictionary.

Definition of atheism in English:

atheism
Pronunciation: /ˈeɪθɪɪz(ə)m/
NOUN

[MASS NOUN]
Disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
29-03-2016, 08:57 AM
(29-03-2016 03:45 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  
(28-03-2016 09:39 PM)Crazysaxer Wrote:  I sent this to my religious ex girlfriend when she wanted to know more about my atheism. I don't know why I'm sharing this, I guess to get it out in the open. If you guys want to ask me questions about anything, critique my logic, tell a similar story, or anything go ahead. But here is the email I sent 2 years ago

One obvious question is: why did your ex want to know about your atheism?

Well, it was a shock to her and she wanted to know why i was an atheist. She didn't understand how I could have gone away from Catholicism. And I've kept it because its the only place I've ever written out my actual views on why I am an atheist today. I kind of like having something like that. It's also a reminder to not worry if people don't accept me for who I am, I just need to live life and move forward.

Respect is for those who deserve it,
Not for those who demand it
29-03-2016, 09:11 AM (This post was last modified: 29-03-2016 09:31 AM by god has no twitter account.)
(29-03-2016 08:57 AM)Crazysaxer Wrote:  
(29-03-2016 03:45 AM)god has no twitter account Wrote:  One obvious question is: why did your ex want to know about your atheism?

Well, it was a shock to her and she wanted to know why i was an atheist. She didn't understand how I could have gone away from Catholicism. And I've kept it because its the only place I've ever written out my actual views on why I am an atheist today. I kind of like having something like that. It's also a reminder to not worry if people don't accept me for who I am, I just need to live life and move forward.

It's one thing for you to be an Atheist - it's a least logical.

You need to ask her why she still believes in the stupidity of the Bronze-Age myth (aka christardology) at her age and in these enlightened times and in a church which protects its paedophiles. She then might understand what a dumb question she asked you.

Marburg virus, Ebola, Rabies, HIV, Smallpox, Hantavirus, Dengue Fever all brought to you by god - who cares for us and loves us all Censored
16-05-2016, 08:35 AM
Since she is your ex, there is no harm in voicing your opinions. I have tried explaining my thoughts to my wife. At this point in her life, my wife seems to need to believe. The only harm I see that is unavoidable is once we have kids. My wife is worried that I will make fun of her beliefs. I don't do that now and I won't do that when we have a child. I will be honest with him/her/them. I do not believe and will not pretend that I do. My advice if you can't find an atheist to be involved with, be honest while still dating. My wife knew I was an atheist by the time we were dating for about 3 weeks. It should be an interesting thing.
[+] 1 user Likes Birdguy1979's post