My eyes have been slowly opening.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2012, 12:35 PM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2012 12:38 PM by Vera.)
RE: My eyes have been slowly opening.
(05-11-2012 12:22 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(05-11-2012 12:13 PM)Vera Wrote:  For what it's worth (and I'm the last person to support religion or staying with it because it feels safer), I think deconversion or whatever kingschosen is going through is sometimes a lengthy process, that can only happen in its own time and at the person's who's going through it own pace. We all need time to get comfortable with the new ideas that we may find ourselves dealing with, to examine and scrutinise them, to accept them and to put them into practice.

It's not easy to completely distance oneself from something you've known all your life, esp. if it's something that has played and continues to play such an important role in your life. What may look obvious to us, may require some getting used to for others, what process of deconversion worked for us, may not be the same for somebody else.

In short, leaving the warmth and security of what you've known all your life is never easy. At least for most people.

And don't forget that Newton's third law of motions often applies to people too. Smile

Fair enough.

So you are saying that KC's peace of mind is more important than the emancipation from mental-servitude of the children in his care?
I'm saying that if you actually believe he's heading this way, pressure isn't the way to go. I'm not saying you guys are ganging up on him, it's just that I know how I would've reacted if everyone was telling me what to do, how to do it and when to do it (though I'm a bit childish in this respect, don't like being told what to do).

If it means that he'll successfully reach the place we all want him to reach, I don't think anyone can begrudge him the time he needs. People are different, what worked for us, won't necessarily work for him. And after all, it's his life, too, not just those kids' in his care (who have parents much more responsible for the brainwashing they're undergoing).
Plus, do you honestly believe that if he were to deconvert, all those kids would be miraculously emancipated from mental slavery? Or aren't their parents (who are most to blame) just going to find someone else, who hasn't seen the light (of reason)?
And of course kingschosen's peace of mind is important, would you seriously wish anyone a life of inner turmoil, pain and suffering? Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that peace of mind based on a false premise is better than turmoil, because it is not. All I am saying is kingschosen (and everyone else) should achieve their peace of mind through their own efforts and their own journey.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Vera's post
05-11-2012, 12:49 PM
As childish as they may seem, Kingsy's Sunday school class consists of "adults".

Of course, those same adults probably fight with their own children, who come off to them as "too uppity" ... what with all their public school, book learning. By cracky. Dodgy Well, we've discussed ignorance, science, dog vomit, and fig newtons. What a full morning - if not for dog vomit, I'd be starving.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
05-11-2012, 12:50 PM
(05-11-2012 12:49 PM)kim Wrote:  As childish as they may seem, Kingsy's Sunday school class consists of "adults".

Of course, those same adults probably fight with their own children, who come off to them as "too uppity" ... what with all their public school, book learning. By cracky. Dodgy Well, we've discussed ignorance, science, dog vomit, and fig newtons. What a full morning - if not for dog vomit, I'd be starving.
Let's not forget the sucking 'em in. Blush

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
05-11-2012, 12:53 PM
(05-11-2012 12:27 PM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Our associations may be stupid but they're tatsy! Tongue

(05-11-2012 12:34 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  A Fig Newton in motion stays in motion until it has been digested.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obesity_in_...ted_States

Just sayin'... Now look what you made me do, I did derail it again. I honestly won't anymore.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
05-11-2012, 12:55 PM
(05-11-2012 10:37 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(05-11-2012 09:53 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Speaking of "Liberal media" and "Liberal schools"; it's amazing how they say it like it's a bad thing. I hold no political beliefs whatsoever - I wouldn't give two shits about politics if I had two shits to give - but just the word "liberal" implies liberation. Freedom. Progression. Only the religious would be so closed-minded as to see progression as a bad thing.
Please, don't be fooled so easily. Classic liberalism promotes those ideas, but modern "Liberals" want to limit the freedom and progression you claim to desire. In the same vein Republicans don't want a true Republic anymore either. They both have agendas, which are not just freedom and progression, and if you believe otherwise then you have your blinders on. Libertarians best embody the ideas of classic liberalism, the freedom, and progression that you desire, they are the true "right-wing", not the Republicans. Not all religious folks are against oppression of progress to spare their views either, they change their views to match reality without losing the comfort provided by religion.

I said the specific word "liberal" implies freedom and liberation. Not "Liberalism".

I claimed to desire nothing.

All political parties have agendas. Some positive; some negative; ALL fallible. That's why I don't give a fuck about ANY of them.

I didn't say "all religious" are against progress.

Try to pay attention Wink

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-11-2012, 12:55 PM
(05-11-2012 12:50 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Let's not forget the sucking 'em in. Blush

Yea... Kingsy isn't the only one who sees only what he wants to see. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
05-11-2012, 12:58 PM
(05-11-2012 11:22 AM)kim Wrote:  
(05-11-2012 11:16 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Are you, like, flirting with Kingsy right now? Consider
Hey... you do your atheist recruiting your way, I'll use my own tried and true methods to suck 'em in. Dodgy piker
Hurrah for subterfuge!

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
05-11-2012, 01:01 PM
(05-11-2012 12:20 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(05-11-2012 12:13 PM)Vera Wrote:  And don't forget that Newton's third law of motions often applies to people too. Smile
Fig Newtons have laws? Consider

No, that's a figment of your imaginewton. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Chas's post
05-11-2012, 01:04 PM
(05-11-2012 10:24 AM)cufflink Wrote:  
(04-11-2012 03:41 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  How in the world could you ever shun knowledge? Or wisdom? Or science?

I know sooner or later I'm going to be chased out with torches and pitchforks. The day is coming.

KC, rather than waiting to be chased out, maybe it's time for you to say to yourself, "I don't want to associate with people like this," and find the door all on your own.
This has come up a couple of times in our house.

I don't dislike, loathe, or hate these people... I mean, I "get" it. I get where they are coming from. I also feel that I have a lot that I can share, so the hope remains that they might be open to what I have to say.

These aren't bad people. In fact, they are wonderful people... just ignorant.

My last sentence was somewhat hyperbolic; although, I have been met with some friction due to my more progressive beliefs.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
05-11-2012, 01:05 PM
(05-11-2012 12:34 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(05-11-2012 12:20 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Fig Newtons have laws? Consider
A Fig Newton in motion stays in motion until it has been digested.
I sincerely hope the motion does NOT stop there!

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 2 users Like Cardinal Smurf's post