My eyes have been slowly opening.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2012, 01:06 PM
RE: My eyes have been slowly opening.
(05-11-2012 10:37 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  You're going to have to soon adopt a new moniker...non-religious, or deist, or something. Alternatley, it's not too late to start that cult I have previously mentioned

lol my name comes from a video game. Nothing to do with religion.

Also, I would be a deist except I do believe in Christ and the tenants of Calvinism. So, that makes me a Christian.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2012, 01:06 PM
(05-11-2012 12:35 PM)Vera Wrote:  [...
If it means that he'll successfully reach the place we all want him to reach...

All?

Sorry, but I do not give a flying fuck which place he reaches.

I do not care if he deconverts or stays elect.

I like him, I respect him and he is entitled to believe whatever he wants to believe.

He does not need to deconvert to start doing something about the injustice he has witnessed?

Did you or I end up as we are because pressure was applied and because people ganged up on us?

Of course not.

We reached it through the drip-feed of BBC wildlife documentaries, David Attenborough, Carl Sagan, Jonathan Miller, Douglas Adams, Eddie Izzard, Steven Fry, Ricky Gervais, Dawkins, Hitchens (add your own influences, to taste) etc. and let's add Seth Andrews and everyone on this site to that list.

It was a slow process of accumulated data, processed into information, becoming knowledge though context and experience and ultimately... wisdom.

It all starts with critical-thinking and a hunger... a desire to free yourself from ignorance.

KC is in a position to influence this.

He does not need to put himself in harms way, he does not need to do anything overt.

He just needs to ask them "how did you reach your conclusion?"
He just needs to name drop occasionally.... try this one for size: "the unconsidered life is not worth living" Socrates.
He just needs to ask the children to ask "why?".
He just needs to "be" the example of wisdom-attained though critical-thinking.

Fuck! I hope you are reading this, KC.

[+] 5 users Like DLJ's post
05-11-2012, 01:07 PM
(05-11-2012 11:19 AM)Impulse Wrote:  
(04-11-2012 03:41 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I guess it was because of my oblivious nature towards others... lack of exposure... or just plain ignorance... but, I've been starting to notice something that you guys have been complaining about since Day 1.

It's not necessarily one thing... it's just an eclectic collection. I'm talking about the stuff that theists do or say that just make you "..."

I've always said, "Where are y'all finding these people? I've never come in contact with anyone like this."

I noticed it this morning in Sunday School. The lesson was on a believer's faith being "spoiled" per Paul in Colossians. The questioned was asked, "What are some things that can 'spoil' someone's faith and cause them to abandon it."

Someone said "knowledge". I sarcastically chuckled as I thought it was a joke; however, the rest of the class agreed. They were saying stuff like "Yeah, it seems that more smart people are atheists." and "The more education someone has the more likely they are going to abandon their faith."

They justified it by saying that the smarter people are arrogant and rely on themselves and not God.

We also had one guy say, "...and it seems like the smart people all believe in 'theory' of evolution."

I just sat there. Didn't say a word. I was sort of shocked.

How in the world could you ever shun knowledge? Or wisdom? Or science?

I know sooner or later I'm going to be chased out with torches and pitchforks. The day is coming.
From my completely biased viewpoint, I'd say you're moving in the right direction. Keep up the good work! Thumbsup
See. I don't want people to get the wrong impression of what I'm saying. It's exactly as Stark says. My beliefs are weakening; instead, my conviction to help others understand what I understand is increased.

05-11-2012, 01:09 PM
(05-11-2012 01:01 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-11-2012 12:20 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Fig Newtons have laws? Consider

No, that's a figment of your imaginewton. Drinking Beverage
Gah! Where is the Boooo! button??

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
05-11-2012, 01:13 PM
(05-11-2012 11:49 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(05-11-2012 10:58 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Probably flight... well in regards to not saying anything. I'll just be quiet.

I do not know how to react to that.

Here's me, atheist-jewboy, attempting, in my own small way, to remove the shadows of ignorance across Asia.

Actually teaching the concepts of knowledge and wisdom; teaching the scientific method.

Chalking up more critical-thinkers every day.

Did you get that? ... I'm Jewish.... in an Islamic world.

I know that each day something I say could get me fired, deported or worse.

Well, ok, play it safe. Maybe you have more to lose than do I.
Maybe not.

Your silence is helping the West get dumber.
My living-loudly is helping the East get richer.

Have it your own way and good luck to you.
Like I've said before... these aren't bad people. They just believe differently than I do and choose to remain ignorant on such things.

Also, it's not my place to try and teach tenets that aren't held in traditional Southern Baptist churches.

I do to this church for the community, honestly. It's a great place for my family. Truth be told, there are no churches that hold the same beliefs that I do, so it really wouldn't matter where I went because I would be facing the same issues.

There stands to reason to try and cause discord simply because I don't agree with some people who agree with the tenets that are established in the church.

I know the church can't offer me much in regards to spiritual growth... but, no where in the area probably could. I'm left to do this on my own, which isn't a problem - it's what I've been doing since I was a Christian.

05-11-2012, 01:15 PM
(05-11-2012 11:57 AM)cufflink Wrote:  That's disturbing, KC. You find yourself in the midst of people who are disparaging knowledge, education, and intelligence, and yet you choose to remain silent. Why? It sounds as if having an outwardly placid, non-controversial environment in your church is more important to you than standing up for what you know is right. C'mon, guy, your cojones are bigger than that!

No offense, I hope, KC. You know I like and admire you as a person. But this don't-rock-the-boat attitude seems to go against everything else I know about you.

I couldn't find the source of the quote, but it's one to take to heart: "All it takes for evil to triumph is for good people to say nothing."

Don't mistake my silence for passiveness. I will say when I believe if asked. I'm not going to force my hand, though.

I act the same way on TTA. I'm not here to rock the boat, but I will if you ask me to.

My above reply to DLJ applies here as well.

05-11-2012, 01:17 PM
(05-11-2012 12:13 PM)Vera Wrote:  For what it's worth (and I'm the last person to support religion or staying with it because it feels safer), I think deconversion or whatever kingschosen is going through is sometimes a lengthy process, that can only happen in its own time and at the person's who's going through it own pace. We all need time to get comfortable with the new ideas that we may find ourselves dealing with, to examine and scrutinise them, to accept them and to put them into practice.

It's not easy to completely distance oneself from something you've known all your life, esp. if it's something that has played and continues to play such an important role in your life. What may look obvious to us, may require some getting used to for others, what process of deconversion worked for us, may not be the same for somebody else.

In short, leaving the warmth and security of what you've known all your life is never easy. At least for most people.

And don't forget that Newton's third law of motions often applies to people too. Smile
Thank you for all the comments, Vera. I appreciate it.

Also, I want to again point out, that I'm not going through a deconversion. It's an enlightening... an "ah-hah" moment. All it is is me noticing what y'all have been complaining about.

05-11-2012, 01:19 PM
(05-11-2012 12:55 PM)kim Wrote:  
(05-11-2012 12:50 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Let's not forget the sucking 'em in. Blush

Yea... Kingsy isn't the only one who sees only what he wants to see. Drinking Beverage
I don't know what you mean. Can you be less cryptic? Shy

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
05-11-2012, 01:20 PM
(05-11-2012 01:06 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(05-11-2012 12:35 PM)Vera Wrote:  [...
If it means that he'll successfully reach the place we all want him to reach...

All?

Sorry, but I do not give a flying fuck which place he reaches.

I do not care if he deconverts or stays elect.

I like him, I respect him and he is entitled to believe whatever he wants to believe.

He does not need to deconvert to start doing something about the injustice he has witnessed?

Did you or I end up as we are because pressure was applied and because people ganged up on us?

Of course not.

We reached it through the drip-feed of BBC wildlife documentaries, David Attenborough, Carl Sagan, Jonathan Miller, Douglas Adams, Eddie Izzard, Steven Fry, Ricky Gervais, Dawkins, Hitchens (add your own influences, to taste) etc. and let's add Seth Andrews and everyone on this site to that list.

It was a slow process of accumulated data, processed into information, becoming knowledge though context and experience and ultimately... wisdom.

It all starts with critical-thinking and a hunger... a desire to free yourself from ignorance.

KC is in a position to influence this.

He does not need to put himself in harms way, he does not need to do anything overt.

He just needs to ask them "how did you reach your conclusion?"
He just needs to name drop occasionally.... try this one for size: "the unconsidered life is not worth living" Socrates.
He just needs to ask the children to ask "why?".
He just needs to "be" the example of wisdom-attained though critical-thinking.

Fuck! I hope you are reading this, KC.
Believe it or not, I have done this.

I have asked these questions to people. They tell me they will get back with me and never do.

People know my position and beliefs... if they're ready to learn, they will ask. Can't force anyone.

05-11-2012, 01:22 PM
(04-11-2012 03:41 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I just sat there. Didn't say a word. I was sort of shocked.

How in the world could you ever shun knowledge? Or wisdom? Or science?

I know sooner or later I'm going to be chased out with torches and pitchforks. The day is coming.
KC - When the day comes, take solace in the fact that you can define your own god for yourself Tongue

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user