My eyes have been slowly opening.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2012, 01:22 PM
RE: My eyes have been slowly opening.
(05-11-2012 01:06 PM)DLJ Wrote:  All?

Sorry, but I do not give a flying fuck which place he reaches.

I do not care if he deconverts or stays elect.

I like him, I respect him and he is entitled to believe whatever he wants to believe.

He does not need to deconvert to start doing something about the injustice he has witnessed?

Did you or I end up as we are because pressure was applied and because people ganged up on us?

Of course not.

We reached it through the drip-feed of BBC wildlife documentaries, David Attenborough, Carl Sagan, Jonathan Miller, Douglas Adams, Eddie Izzard, Steven Fry, Ricky Gervais, Dawkins, Hitchens (add your own influences, to taste) etc. and let's add Seth Andrews and everyone on this site to that list.

It was a slow process of accumulated data, processed into information, becoming knowledge though context and experience and ultimately... wisdom.

It all starts with critical-thinking and a hunger... a desire to free yourself from ignorance.

KC is in a position to influence this.

He does not need to put himself in harms way, he does not need to do anything overt.

He just needs to ask them "how did you reach your conclusion?"

He just needs to name drop occasionally.... try this one for size: "the unconsidered life is not worth living" Socrates.

He just needs to ask the children to ask "why?".

He just needs to "be" the example of wisdom-attained though critical-thinking.

Fuck! I hope you are reading this, KC.

OK, I do apologise, bad choice of words. - "the place I would like him and the whole of humanity to reach". Because I do give flying fucks. Better now?

And of course we didn't end up where we are because someone was applying pressure - which is exactly what I was saying, that he probably needs a bit of space and time. Hey, you yourself said it is a slow process.
The rest of it was aimed, I think (or I hope) more at kingschosen, than at me, right?
Also, not that it has much to do with anything, but my deconversion was hardly influenced by anything. I sometimes think the god part of my brain finally got switched off (thank god - how's that for ironyWink) and that was that. I only started reading more about atheism after I became an atheist. I did know a lot about science though, so this had some effect, but much less than you'd think.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2012, 01:54 PM
(05-11-2012 01:20 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(05-11-2012 01:06 PM)DLJ Wrote:  All?

Sorry, but I do not give a flying fuck which place he reaches.

I do not care if he deconverts or stays elect.

I like him, I respect him and he is entitled to believe whatever he wants to believe.

He does not need to deconvert to start doing something about the injustice he has witnessed?

Did you or I end up as we are because pressure was applied and because people ganged up on us?

Of course not.

We reached it through the drip-feed of BBC wildlife documentaries, David Attenborough, Carl Sagan, Jonathan Miller, Douglas Adams, Eddie Izzard, Steven Fry, Ricky Gervais, Dawkins, Hitchens (add your own influences, to taste) etc. and let's add Seth Andrews and everyone on this site to that list.

It was a slow process of accumulated data, processed into information, becoming knowledge though context and experience and ultimately... wisdom.

It all starts with critical-thinking and a hunger... a desire to free yourself from ignorance.

KC is in a position to influence this.

He does not need to put himself in harms way, he does not need to do anything overt.

He just needs to ask them "how did you reach your conclusion?"
He just needs to name drop occasionally.... try this one for size: "the unconsidered life is not worth living" Socrates.
He just needs to ask the children to ask "why?".
He just needs to "be" the example of wisdom-attained though critical-thinking.

Fuck! I hope you are reading this, KC.
Believe it or not, I have done this.

I have asked these questions to people. They tell me they will get back with me and never do.

People know my position and beliefs... if they're ready to learn, they will ask. Can't force anyone.

Forget the "people".

That's the wrong target.

Your target should be the future generations.

Why is it that you are alone in this and everyone else chooses ignorance? Because that's what they were taught.

In each previous generation, I'll bet there was a KC who stayed silent.
What would your world have been like if those earlier doubters, skeptics and seekers of wisdom started the drip-feed?

Maybe they did and you are merely a link in a long chain.

Do you want your children to have the same experience? The same feelings of isolation and frustration?

Don't break the chain!

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
05-11-2012, 01:56 PM
KC, I will never understand you I am afraid.

To me, you are a walking contradiction.

This is so odd, because I usually "get" people.

But I just don't get you. You don't make any sense to me. I don't see how your intelligence and your beliefs and your actions and your awareness all fit into one head without exploding.

I'll keep checking in to see if anything starts making any sense to me. But for now I am still baffled.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
05-11-2012, 02:14 PM
(05-11-2012 01:13 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I do to this church for the community, honestly. It's a great place for my family.

No, it's not.

Think of your kids. Do you want them to be influenced by the people you've described in your OP?

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
05-11-2012, 02:17 PM
Have we all pontificated to KC enough yet? Can we start the derailing?

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought KC was telling us he had pink eye again.
When I had pink eye, my eyes would slowly open. Sleepy Blink Shocking

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
05-11-2012, 02:35 PM
(05-11-2012 02:17 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Have we all pontificated to KC enough yet? Can we start the derailing?

When I saw the title of this thread, I thought KC was telling us he had pink eye again.
No we haven't.

I'm pontificating to anyone and everyone who stumbles across this thread.

Don't you think it's important?

Knowing my luck, it will be read by the same Indonesian extremists who beat the crap out of Alexander Aan or the Malaysians who got Hamza Kashgari deported back to Saudi.

I'm getting on a plane to Malaysia in 5 hours. Wish me luck.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
05-11-2012, 02:36 PM
(05-11-2012 02:35 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(05-11-2012 02:17 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Have we all pontificated to KC enough yet? Can we start the derailing?

No we haven't.

I'm pontificating to anyone and everyone who stumbles across this thread.

Don't you think it's important?

Knowing my luck, it will be read by the same Indonesian extremists who beat the crap out of Alexander Aan or the Malaysians who got Hamza Kashgari deported back to Saudi.

I'm getting on a plane to Malaysia in 5 hours. Wish me luck.
What kind of luck would you like me to wish you?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
05-11-2012, 02:40 PM
(05-11-2012 02:35 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I'm pontificating to anyone and everyone who stumbles across this thread.
Yes, yes you are Yes

(you're making me reconsider choosing Indonesia as my next destination, though)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
05-11-2012, 03:11 PM
(05-11-2012 09:54 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Ignorance is bliss, as long as you are ignorant of the fact that you are ignorant.
So does that apply to the CIA and the 2001 terrorist attacks?

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
05-11-2012, 03:16 PM

[Image: o-GWYNETH-PALTROW-PICTURES-570.jpg?12]

Gwynnies in leather. Like a Three Musketeers.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user