My eyes have been slowly opening.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2012, 09:26 AM
RE: My eyes have been slowly opening.
(04-11-2012 09:15 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I could have probably attended a state school but I was strongly encouraged to pick an Evangelical school because its a well-known fact in Fundie circles that state universities are run by godless communists who are stealing the minds of our youth.
And there is no down-side to that. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
05-11-2012, 09:44 AM
(04-11-2012 03:41 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I guess it was because of my oblivious nature towards others... lack of exposure... or just plain ignorance... but, I've been starting to notice something that you guys have been complaining about since Day 1.

It's not necessarily one thing... it's just an eclectic collection. I'm talking about the stuff that theists do or say that just make you "..."

I've always said, "Where are y'all finding these people? I've never come in contact with anyone like this."

I noticed it this morning in Sunday School. The lesson was on a believer's faith being "spoiled" per Paul in Colossians. The questioned was asked, "What are some things that can 'spoil' someone's faith and cause them to abandon it."

Someone said "knowledge". I sarcastically chuckled as I thought it was a joke; however, the rest of the class agreed. They were saying stuff like "Yeah, it seems that more smart people are atheists." and "The more education someone has the more likely they are going to abandon their faith."

They justified it by saying that the smarter people are arrogant and rely on themselves and not God.

We also had one guy say, "...and it seems like the smart people all believe in 'theory' of evolution."

I just sat there. Didn't say a word. I was sort of shocked.

How in the world could you ever shun knowledge? Or wisdom? Or science?

I know sooner or later I'm going to be chased out with torches and pitchforks. The day is coming.
KC, The answer was SPOT ON brother. They could not be any more right!
The bible tells you this, man. Knowledge was the tree! THe book even INSTRUCTS you to "Lean NOT unto your OWN understanding". Why is this really that hard for you to see. A theme throughout the bible is close mind and eyes and open emotions.
The book hits this 'knowledge' theme over and over again.

My advise to you is to stay stupid and stay in church. Because it IS true what they say "Knowledge is Power".
Its what got the nudists kicked out of the garden and it will certialy get you kicked out of church. If you truly want to stay in church and commune with like minded brethern you gotta stay stupid and silent.
The students taught the teacher this sunday school.....will the teacher listen?

D
Find all posts by this user
[+] 7 users Like Denicio's post
05-11-2012, 09:46 AM
(05-11-2012 12:19 AM)Grassy Knoll Wrote:  The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. -Albert Einstein
"Answers are great. But questions...questions are where it's at." - Morgan Freeman

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
05-11-2012, 09:49 AM
(04-11-2012 09:15 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(04-11-2012 08:50 PM)Logisch Wrote:  I'll never understand why people take pride in ignorance. Even when I was a believer, I never thought that total ignorance was a good thing, and that being smart was bad. Even though it was horrifically clouded by pseudo science, I believed it science. Some people just.... don't care though. At all. That's sad to me. What a waste of a mind.

I remember being in college when my mom said, "Be careful not to gain so much knowledge that you lose your faith."

I could have probably attended a state school but I was strongly encouraged to pick an Evangelical school because its a well-known fact in Fundie circles that state universities are run by godless communists who are stealing the minds of our youth.
Ha! Having grown up in a Southern Baptist High School, they warned OVER and OVER again about the so called "Liberal Universities" and thier very "Liberal Teachers".
Reminds me of those idiots that call the media "Liberal". When they say "Liberal Media" its anything that is NOT Fox News. The same rule applies to christians. Anyting OTHER than Moody Bible college is liberal.
Oddly my college science professor never once spoke of gods or goblins. He spoke of the natural world and how it worked. And when i took recording engineering classes we spoke of recording. And when i took english, we spoke of english. I learned yet one more time that i had been lied to by the Paranoid Religoius.

D
[+] 1 user Likes Denicio's post
05-11-2012, 09:51 AM
My eyes have been slowly opening.
(05-11-2012 09:49 AM)Denicio Wrote:  
(04-11-2012 09:15 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I remember being in college when my mom said, "Be careful not to gain so much knowledge that you lose your faith."

I could have probably attended a state school but I was strongly encouraged to pick an Evangelical school because its a well-known fact in Fundie circles that state universities are run by godless communists who are stealing the minds of our youth.
Ha! Having grown up in a Southern Baptist High School, they warned OVER and OVER again about the so called "Liberal Universities" and thier very "Liberal Teachers".
Reminds me of those idiots that call the media "Liberal". When they say "Liberal Media" its anything that is NOT Fox News. The same rule applies to christians. Anyting OTHER than Moody Bible college is liberal.
Oddly my college science professor never once spoke of gods or goblins. He spoke of the natural world and how it worked. And when i took recording engineering classes we spoke of recording. And when i took english, we spoke of english. I learned yet one more time that i had been lied to by the Paranoid Religoius.

D

Yes, but look at you now. Appearing on TV with Dan Barker. Those naysayers were right! There must be truth to the Christian claims!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
05-11-2012, 09:53 AM
Speaking of "Liberal media" and "Liberal schools"; it's amazing how they say it like it's a bad thing. I hold no political beliefs whatsoever - I wouldn't give two shits about politics if I had two shits to give - but just the word "liberal" implies liberation. Freedom. Progression. Only the religious would be so closed-minded as to see progression as a bad thing.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
05-11-2012, 09:54 AM
Ignorance is bliss, as long as you are ignorant of the fact that you are ignorant.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
05-11-2012, 09:58 AM
(04-11-2012 06:34 PM)Near Wrote:  Just a few more years and you'll be a filthy atheist like the rest of us. Big Grin Wink
I highly doubt that, but we'll see. Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
05-11-2012, 09:58 AM
(05-11-2012 09:53 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Speaking of "Liberal media" and "Liberal schools"; it's amazing how they say it like it's a bad thing. I hold no political beliefs whatsoever - I wouldn't give two shits about politics if I had two shits to give - but just the word "liberal" implies liberation. Freedom. Progression. Only the religious would be so closed-minded as to see progression as a bad thing.

AHHH! But you see, this is the evolution of language under the American Taliban. They have turned a normal word into a 4 letter word...and a generation of sheeple growing up believing it! Lately in Wisconsin they have tried to turn the word "Teacher" in to a 4 letter word.
Remember we live in a time where a NEWS channel such as Fox News has roughly ONE actual News program in a 24 hour day. Black is White and Left is Right.
[+] 3 users Like Denicio's post
05-11-2012, 10:02 AM
(05-11-2012 09:54 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Ignorance is bliss, as long as you are ignorant of the fact that you are ignorant.

Bearded Dude, I used to believe what you said...but over the past 4-8 years i have seen people openly brag about the fact they are ignorant and want to remain that way.
It was almost 4 years ago that there was a poll in some southern state that had it 50/50 as to whether hawaii was a State!
We live in a time where ignorance and stupidity are rewarded. Just ask Honey Boo boo! sigh~
D
[+] 2 users Like Denicio's post