My eyes have been slowly opening.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2012, 10:04 AM
RE: My eyes have been slowly opening.
I visited my parents a couple days ago; my dad (who recently became a hard-core right wing-nut) was watching Fox news. They were all grouped around the big table in the studio and had just finished up talking about politics, so they decided to talk about the hurricane. No sooner had I breathed a sigh of relief than did they begin talking about how Obama is to blame for this or that regarding the adverse weather.

I just got up and walked away.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Misanthropik's post
05-11-2012, 10:20 AM
[Image: smarts.jpg]

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
[+] 8 users Like kim's post
05-11-2012, 10:24 AM
(04-11-2012 03:41 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  How in the world could you ever shun knowledge? Or wisdom? Or science?

I know sooner or later I'm going to be chased out with torches and pitchforks. The day is coming.

KC, rather than waiting to be chased out, maybe it's time for you to say to yourself, "I don't want to associate with people like this," and find the door all on your own.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 5 users Like cufflink's post
05-11-2012, 10:27 AM
(05-11-2012 09:46 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  
(05-11-2012 12:19 AM)Grassy Knoll Wrote:  The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing. -Albert Einstein
"Answers are great. But questions...questions are where it's at." - Morgan Freeman
"Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire

[+] 2 users Like Dark Light's post
05-11-2012, 10:30 AM
(05-11-2012 10:27 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(05-11-2012 09:46 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  "Answers are great. But questions...questions are where it's at." - Morgan Freeman
"Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers" - Voltaire
"Cows will go upstairs, but they won't go down...and that is cake" -Me

My Blog
[Image: 1z5qgiq.png]
[+] 3 users Like NeonMoment's post
05-11-2012, 10:34 AM
(04-11-2012 04:06 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(04-11-2012 03:41 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I guess it was because of my oblivious nature towards others... lack of exposure... or just plain ignorance... but, I've been starting to notice something that you guys have been complaining about since Day 1.

It's not necessarily one thing... it's just an eclectic collection. I'm talking about the stuff that theists do or say that just make you "..."

I've always said, "Where are y'all finding these people? I've never come in contact with anyone like this."

I noticed it this morning in Sunday School. The lesson was on a believer's faith being "spoiled" per Paul in Colossians. The questioned was asked, "What are some things that can 'spoil' someone's faith and cause them to abandon it."

Someone said "knowledge". I sarcastically chuckled as I thought it was a joke; however, the rest of the class agreed. They were saying stuff like "Yeah, it seems that more smart people are atheists." and "The more education someone has the more likely they are going to abandon their faith."

They justified it by saying that the smarter people are arrogant and rely on themselves and not God.

We also had one guy say, "...and it seems like the smart people all believe in 'theory' of evolution."

I just sat there. Didn't say a word. I was sort of shocked.

How in the world could you ever shun knowledge? Or wisdom? Or science?

I know sooner or later I'm going to be chased out with torches and pitchforks. The day is coming.
Hi KC....mate you have warmed my heart. You are evidence that people can change.

I have spent many years studying the origins of Christianity, and I hope to share that knowledge with people to help free them from this toxic doctrine, so it always gives me pleasure to see someone starting to break free.
Thanks, Mark.

I started to break free a traditional Christianity several years ago when I accepted Calvinism... and then Amillennialism... and the biggie, Evolutionary Creationism.

I know you meant "breaking free from Christianity", but no dice on that Smile

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
05-11-2012, 10:35 AM
(05-11-2012 10:34 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(04-11-2012 04:06 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  Hi KC....mate you have warmed my heart. You are evidence that people can change.

I have spent many years studying the origins of Christianity, and I hope to share that knowledge with people to help free them from this toxic doctrine, so it always gives me pleasure to see someone starting to break free.
Thanks, Mark.

I started to break free a traditional Christianity several years ago when I accepted Calvinism... and then Amillennialism... and the biggie, Evolutionary Creationism.

I know you meant "breaking free from Christianity", but no dice on that Smile
Addict. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
05-11-2012, 10:36 AM
(04-11-2012 04:16 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(04-11-2012 03:41 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I guess it was because of my oblivious nature towards others... lack of exposure... or just plain ignorance... but, I've been starting to notice something that you guys have been complaining about since Day 1.

It's not necessarily one thing... it's just an eclectic collection. I'm talking about the stuff that theists do or say that just make you "..."

I've always said, "Where are y'all finding these people? I've never come in contact with anyone like this."

I noticed it this morning in Sunday School. The lesson was on a believer's faith being "spoiled" per Paul in Colossians. The questioned was asked, "What are some things that can 'spoil' someone's faith and cause them to abandon it."

Someone said "knowledge". I sarcastically chuckled as I thought it was a joke; however, the rest of the class agreed. They were saying stuff like "Yeah, it seems that more smart people are atheists." and "The more education someone has the more likely they are going to abandon their faith."

They justified it by saying that the smarter people are arrogant and rely on themselves and not God.

We also had one guy say, "...and it seems like the smart people all believe in 'theory' of evolution."

I just sat there. Didn't say a word. I was sort of shocked.

How in the world could you ever shun knowledge? Or wisdom? Or science?

Something tells me a situation like this was inevitable.

So, is your next lesson plan going to be an attempt to reverse their stance on knowledge/intellect? I'd truly love to hear, nay SEE, the results of that. Sheer folly, says I!

EDIT: Also, good catch. Have you found yourself wondering if you've been surrounded by this all along and just hadn't noticed?
I SERIOUSLY don't think I'll ever teach in the church again... not after my last lesson. But, we'll see.

And, you know, maybe you're right. It probably was staring me right in the face, but I didn't see it because I didn't want to see it. Although, my wife says I'm completely oblivious most of the time.

[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
05-11-2012, 10:36 AM
(04-11-2012 05:01 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Fuck you think was gonna happen, hanging around a bunch of immoral heathens? You're fuckered now, KC. Tongue
Yeah, yeah, yeah... I know.

But you guys are way cooler.

[+] 3 users Like kingschosen's post
05-11-2012, 10:37 AM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2012 10:41 AM by Dark Light.)
(05-11-2012 09:53 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Speaking of "Liberal media" and "Liberal schools"; it's amazing how they say it like it's a bad thing. I hold no political beliefs whatsoever - I wouldn't give two shits about politics if I had two shits to give - but just the word "liberal" implies liberation. Freedom. Progression. Only the religious would be so closed-minded as to see progression as a bad thing.
Please, don't be fooled so easily. Classic liberalism promotes those ideas, but modern "Liberals" want to limit the freedom and progression you claim to desire. In the same vein Republicans don't want a true Republic anymore either. They both have agendas, which are not just freedom and progression, and if you believe otherwise then you have your blinders on. Libertarians best embody the ideas of classic liberalism, the freedom, and progression that you desire, they are the true "right-wing", not the Republicans. Not all religious folks are against oppression of progress to spare their views either, they change their views to match reality without losing the comfort provided by religion.

kingschosen Wrote:I SERIOUSLY don't think I'll ever teach in the church again... not after my last lesson. But, we'll see.

And, you know, maybe you're right. It probably was staring me right in the face, but I didn't see it because I didn't want to see it. Although, my wife says I'm completely oblivious most of the time.

You're going to have to soon adopt a new moniker...non-religious, or deist, or something. Alternatley, it's not too late to start that cult I have previously mentioned