My eyes have been slowly opening.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2012, 11:02 AM
RE: My eyes have been slowly opening.
(04-11-2012 08:25 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(04-11-2012 03:41 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I guess it was because of my oblivious nature towards others... lack of exposure... or just plain ignorance... but, I've been starting to notice something that you guys have been complaining about since Day 1.

It's not necessarily one thing... it's just an eclectic collection. I'm talking about the stuff that theists do or say that just make you "..."

I've always said, "Where are y'all finding these people? I've never come in contact with anyone like this."

I noticed it this morning in Sunday School. The lesson was on a believer's faith being "spoiled" per Paul in Colossians. The questioned was asked, "What are some things that can 'spoil' someone's faith and cause them to abandon it."

Someone said "knowledge". I sarcastically chuckled as I thought it was a joke; however, the rest of the class agreed. They were saying stuff like "Yeah, it seems that more smart people are atheists." and "The more education someone has the more likely they are going to abandon their faith."

They justified it by saying that the smarter people are arrogant and rely on themselves and not God.

We also had one guy say, "...and it seems like the smart people all believe in 'theory' of evolution."

I just sat there. Didn't say a word. I was sort of shocked.

How in the world could you ever shun knowledge? Or wisdom? Or science?

I know sooner or later I'm going to be chased out with torches and pitchforks. The day is coming.
Do you really want to belong to a group whose beliefs are so weak they don't want them questioned?

Where ever you end up, just know that you have to question things and certainly be able to disagree instead of following along with blind faith and obedience. Goodevil
It's hard to say. I mean, there really isn't anything wrong with anyone from the church or the church itself. It's just the display of ignorance that gets to me. Collectively, though, I don' t think that's enough for me to leave.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2012, 11:14 AM
Angel Caution: Science

Jupiter's diameter is 142,700 kilometers. The sun's is 1.4 million kilometers. There are smaller stars than our planet Jupiter. Jupiter is big enough to be a star but it is not dense enough. But don't feel bad for Jupiter - I think it's dead sexy with that crazy red storm spot and it holds it's own in our solar system. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
05-11-2012, 11:16 AM
(05-11-2012 11:14 AM)kim Wrote:  Angel Caution: Science

Jupiter's diameter is 142,700 kilometers. The sun's is 1.4 million kilometers. There are smaller stars than our planet Jupiter. Jupiter is big enough to be a star but it is not dense enough. But don't feel bad for Jupiter - I think it's dead sexy with that crazy red storm spot and it holds it's own in our solar system. Wink
Are you, like, flirting with Kingsy right now? Consider

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
05-11-2012, 11:19 AM
(04-11-2012 03:41 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  I guess it was because of my oblivious nature towards others... lack of exposure... or just plain ignorance... but, I've been starting to notice something that you guys have been complaining about since Day 1.

It's not necessarily one thing... it's just an eclectic collection. I'm talking about the stuff that theists do or say that just make you "..."

I've always said, "Where are y'all finding these people? I've never come in contact with anyone like this."

I noticed it this morning in Sunday School. The lesson was on a believer's faith being "spoiled" per Paul in Colossians. The questioned was asked, "What are some things that can 'spoil' someone's faith and cause them to abandon it."

Someone said "knowledge". I sarcastically chuckled as I thought it was a joke; however, the rest of the class agreed. They were saying stuff like "Yeah, it seems that more smart people are atheists." and "The more education someone has the more likely they are going to abandon their faith."

They justified it by saying that the smarter people are arrogant and rely on themselves and not God.

We also had one guy say, "...and it seems like the smart people all believe in 'theory' of evolution."

I just sat there. Didn't say a word. I was sort of shocked.

How in the world could you ever shun knowledge? Or wisdom? Or science?

I know sooner or later I'm going to be chased out with torches and pitchforks. The day is coming.
From my completely biased viewpoint, I'd say you're moving in the right direction. Keep up the good work! Thumbsup

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
05-11-2012, 11:22 AM
(05-11-2012 11:16 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(05-11-2012 11:14 AM)kim Wrote:  Angel Caution: Science

Are you, like, flirting with Kingsy right now? Consider
Hey... you do your atheist recruiting your way, I'll use my own tried and true methods to suck 'em in. Dodgy piker

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
05-11-2012, 11:31 AM
(04-11-2012 08:50 PM)Logisch Wrote:  I'll never understand why people take pride in ignorance. Even when I was a believer, I never thought that total ignorance was a good thing, and that being smart was bad. Even though it was horrifically clouded by pseudo science, I believed it science. Some people just.... don't care though. At all. That's sad to me. What a waste of a mind.
Yeah, this is what bothers me too.

05-11-2012, 11:31 AM
(04-11-2012 09:01 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  You see these:

[Image: pigs-balls.jpg]

These are the size of KC's balls because how anyone could sit through that and not blatantly just start yelling verbal abuse at them is beyond me.
I try to control myself Tongue

05-11-2012, 11:33 AM
(05-11-2012 11:22 AM)kim Wrote:  
(05-11-2012 11:16 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Are you, like, flirting with Kingsy right now? Consider
Hey... you do your atheist recruiting your way, I'll use my own tried and true methods to suck 'em in. Dodgy piker
I... I think I'm becoming a Christian!!! Save me Kim, I need recruiting Big Grin

Besides which, KC ? YUCK!
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
05-11-2012, 11:49 AM
(05-11-2012 10:58 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(04-11-2012 08:21 PM)DLJ Wrote:  When we are taught to.
Confused

If I may sound an uncharacteristically sour note...

You may or may not recall a few weeks back when a trainee pastor joined the forum to use us to practice his skills. I didn't react well.

Recently, regarding your brother, I have been sitting on my typing fingers out of respect for you.

But!

What you were witnessing is what I call child-abuse.

No, not child rape. Leave that for the papists.

You saw the result of the corruption of the "duty of care", abuse of trust and abuse of a wider responsibility to humanity in the legacy we all leave behind us.

Now you have seen it.

Seen it as we see it.

What are you going to do?

Fight or flight?

Probably flight... well in regards to not saying anything. I'll just be quiet.

I do not know how to react to that.

Here's me, atheist-jewboy, attempting, in my own small way, to remove the shadows of ignorance across Asia.

Actually teaching the concepts of knowledge and wisdom; teaching the scientific method.

Chalking up more critical-thinkers every day.

Did you get that? ... I'm Jewish.... in an Islamic world.

I know that each day something I say could get me fired, deported or worse.

Well, ok, play it safe. Maybe you have more to lose than do I.
Maybe not.

Your silence is helping the West get dumber.
My living-loudly is helping the East get richer.

Have it your own way and good luck to you.

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
05-11-2012, 11:57 AM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2012 12:34 PM by cufflink.)
(05-11-2012 10:53 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I don't know if I'm going to say anything... simply because I don't want to stir up controversy. I mean, if someone asks, I'll answer them, but I'm not going to put myself out there.

That's disturbing, KC. You find yourself in the midst of people who are disparaging knowledge, education, and intelligence, and yet you choose to remain silent. Why? It sounds as if having an outwardly placid, non-controversial environment in your church is more important to you than standing up for what you know is right. C'mon, guy, your cojones are bigger than that!

No offense, I hope, KC. You know I like and admire you as a person. But this don't-rock-the-boat attitude seems to go against everything else I know about you.

I couldn't find the source of the quote, but it's one to take to heart: "All it takes for evil to triumph is for good people to say nothing."

ETA: DLJ has pointed out that the quote is often attributed to Edmund Burke.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

"This is probably the most quoted statement attributed to Burke, and an extraordinary number of variants of it exist, but all without any definite original source. These very extensively used remarks may be based on a paraphrase of some of Burke's ideas, but he is not known to have ever declared them in so succinct a manner in any of his writings. . . ."

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Edmund_Burke

Thanks, DLJ!

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 2 users Like cufflink's post