My eyes have been slowly opening.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-11-2012, 12:04 PM
RE: My eyes have been slowly opening.
(05-11-2012 11:02 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(04-11-2012 08:25 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Do you really want to belong to a group whose beliefs are so weak they don't want them questioned?

Where ever you end up, just know that you have to question things and certainly be able to disagree instead of following along with blind faith and obedience. Goodevil
It's hard to say. I mean, there really isn't anything wrong with anyone from the church or the church itself. It's just the display of ignorance that gets to me. Collectively, though, I don' t think that's enough for me to leave.
Let's see what Scripture has to say about this: Like a dog that returns to its vomit Is a fool who repeats his folly. Proverbs 26:11.

Drinking Beverage

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
05-11-2012, 12:05 PM
(05-11-2012 11:33 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(05-11-2012 11:22 AM)kim Wrote:  Hey... you do your atheist recruiting your way, I'll use my own tried and true methods to suck 'em in. Dodgy piker
I... I think I'm becoming a Christian!!! Save me Kim, I need recruiting Big Grin

Besides which, KC ? YUCK!
Me too! Me too! I want Kim to suck me in! Evil_monster

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
05-11-2012, 12:07 PM
(05-11-2012 11:49 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Here's me, atheist-jewboy . . .

I didn't know that! So you and I have two things in common. Well, two outta three ain't bad. Wink

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 1 user Likes cufflink's post
05-11-2012, 12:13 PM
For what it's worth (and I'm the last person to support religion or staying with it because it feels safer), I think deconversion or whatever kingschosen is going through is sometimes a lengthy process, that can only happen in its own time and at the person's who's going through it own pace. We all need time to get comfortable with the new ideas that we may find ourselves dealing with, to examine and scrutinise them, to accept them and to put them into practice.

It's not easy to completely distance oneself from something you've known all your life, esp. if it's something that has played and continues to play such an important role in your life. What may look obvious to us, may require some getting used to for others, what process of deconversion worked for us, may not be the same for somebody else.

In short, leaving the warmth and security of what you've known all your life is never easy. At least for most people.

And don't forget that Newton's third law of motions often applies to people too. Smile

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 4 users Like Vera's post
05-11-2012, 12:20 PM
(05-11-2012 12:13 PM)Vera Wrote:  And don't forget that Newton's third law of motions often applies to people too. Smile
Fig Newtons have laws? Consider

~Izel
05-11-2012, 12:22 PM
(05-11-2012 12:13 PM)Vera Wrote:  For what it's worth (and I'm the last person to support religion or staying with it because it feels safer), I think deconversion or whatever kingschosen is going through is sometimes a lengthy process, that can only happen in its own time and at the person's who's going through it own pace. We all need time to get comfortable with the new ideas that we may find ourselves dealing with, to examine and scrutinise them, to accept them and to put them into practice.

It's not easy to completely distance oneself from something you've known all your life, esp. if it's something that has played and continues to play such an important role in your life. What may look obvious to us, may require some getting used to for others, what process of deconversion worked for us, may not be the same for somebody else.

In short, leaving the warmth and security of what you've known all your life is never easy. At least for most people.

And don't forget that Newton's third law of motions often applies to people too. Smile
Fair enough.

So you are saying that KC's peace of mind is more important than the emancipation from mental-servitude of the children in his care?

05-11-2012, 12:24 PM
(05-11-2012 12:04 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(05-11-2012 11:02 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  It's hard to say. I mean, there really isn't anything wrong with anyone from the church or the church itself. It's just the display of ignorance that gets to me. Collectively, though, I don' t think that's enough for me to leave.
Let's see what Scripture has to say about this: Like a dog that returns to its vomit Is a fool who repeats his folly. Proverbs 26:11.

Drinking Beverage
Thanks for that visual Erx...I will now cease to think about what I want for lunch....BLECH No

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
05-11-2012, 12:24 PM
(05-11-2012 12:20 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(05-11-2012 12:13 PM)Vera Wrote:  And don't forget that Newton's third law of motions often applies to people too. Smile

Stupid American associations that I had to look up. No Luckily, I live in a part of the world where the first thing that comes to people's mind when hearing the name Newton ain't cookies.

Won't be derailing kingschosen thread anymore, I promise.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
05-11-2012, 12:27 PM
(05-11-2012 12:24 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(05-11-2012 12:20 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Fig Newtons have laws? Consider

Stupid American associations that I had to look up. No Luckily, I live in a part of the world where the first thing that comes to people's mind when hearing the name Newton ain't cookies.

Won't be derailing kingschosen thread anymore, I promise.

Our associations may be stupid but they're tatsy! Tongue

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
05-11-2012, 12:34 PM
(05-11-2012 12:20 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
A Fig Newton in motion stays in motion until it has been digested.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post