My family hates me...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-04-2015, 07:03 PM
My family hates me...
So I don't this is particularly because I came-out, but I've always kinda felt like I was not wanted and that I didn't really belong. It sucks feeling this way from strangers or other acquaintances, but to feel this way from my own family really kills me.

I can't even muster up the will to speak out about this anymore because every time I've said something about how I felt in the past they attack me with guilt and shame. I've been told that I was too sensitive.

I think I might be a little paranoid, but the fact is that I still can't shake this feelings. These emotions grew when I came-out and it peaked again today when my mom practically told me that a demon was inside of me when I told her that I didn't believe in God anymore. I don't feel like I can talk to them. They don't understand me and I don't want any and all emotions I feel to be attributed to the equally unbelievable Satan character. It has gotten to the point that the social anxiety I feel around strangers, I feel at home around my own family.

At least one good thing came out of this, I won't be going to church anymore in attempts to keep up appearances.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2015, 07:49 PM
RE: My family hates me...
In what way did you feel that your family hated you before you came out?

And also about that there's a devil in you part. Perhaps you could explain to your parents when you're ready why you don't believe anymore,
just try to avoid turning it into an argument and maybe, like many people I've heard about saying is that they made a deal with their families to avoid
religious conversations.
I'm very sorry for what you are going through. Sadly I have no experience in it
05-04-2015, 08:13 PM
Sounds unpleasant. May I ask how old you are?

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
05-04-2015, 10:00 PM
(05-04-2015 07:49 PM)4Syntraph Wrote:  In what way did you feel that your family hated you before you came out?

And also about that there's a devil in you part. Perhaps you could explain to your parents when you're ready why you don't believe anymore,
just try to avoid turning it into an argument and maybe, like many people I've heard about saying is that they made a deal with their families to avoid
religious conversations.

i just felt like i was disrespected and ignored. i'm the oldest out of 5 children but i don't feel it most of the time. and like i said, i've tried explaining how i feel but i guess i come across the wrong or something because somehow it always gets turned back on me.

and regarding the thing my mom said, i wasn't arguing with her. i just couldn't handle hearing at the bs in chuch this morning so i sat outside waiting for it to be over. she came out and hugged me (which sort of contradicts the title of the thread). She started saying something about me knowing what i feel in my heart or something like that, so i figured she was trying to lure be back inside the church. I wasn't having it so i told her t6hat i was done with church. she asked why and i tried to not answer but she kept asking, so i told her that i didn't believe in god anymore and it would be a waste of my time. that's when her defensive instincts kicked in. i walked away when she talked about me being possessed by a demon.

(05-04-2015 08:13 PM)Alex K Wrote:  Sounds unpleasant. May I ask how old you are?

i'm 23. i don't feel like i get treated like i'm an adult half the time.
05-04-2015, 10:15 PM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2015 10:38 PM by Bucky Ball.)
You could try giving her the book "The Origins of Satan" by (Dr) Elaine Pagels. Or ask her why she believes in the messengers of the Babylonian deities, (angels and demons). Seriously, you need a community of your own. Many people find their own "family" outside the one they were born into. Find some friends you have something in common with, whatever that is. Life is short. Don't beat your head against a wall for very long. Eventually you can learn to just change the subject , and NEVER discuss religion with them. Just tell them "Lets get one thing straight ... religion is off the table for discussion. Is that clear ?"

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
05-04-2015, 10:16 PM
(05-04-2015 10:00 PM)chibigiraffe Wrote:  
(05-04-2015 07:49 PM)4Syntraph Wrote:  In what way did you feel that your family hated you before you came out?

religious conversations.

i just felt like i was disrespected and ignored. i'm the oldest out of 5 children but i don't feel it most of the time. and like i said, i've tried explaining how i feel but i guess i come across the wrong or something because somehow it always gets turned back on me.

and regarding the thing my mom said, i wasn't arguing with her. i just couldn't handle hearing at the bs in chuch this morning so i sat outside waiting for it to be over. she came out and hugged me (which sort of contradicts the title of the thread). She started saying something about me knowing what i feel in my heart or something like that, so i figured she was trying to lure be back inside the church. I wasn't having it so i told her t6hat i was done with church. she asked why and i tried to not answer but she kept asking, so i told her that i didn't believe in god anymore and it would be a waste of my time. that's when her defensive instincts kicked in. i walked away when she talked about me being possessed by a demon.

(05-04-2015 08:13 PM)Alex K Wrote:  Sounds unpleasant. May I ask how old you are?

i'm 23. i don't feel like i get treated like i'm an adult half the time.

I am so sorry you are feeling this way. I think I understand where you are coming from, and it's painful. Just know it is not about you, it's them. You are worthy of respect and love. I hope things start getting better. Heart Hug
05-04-2015, 10:22 PM
Being told that you have a demon in you by your parents, if you're 23, is reason enough to get the fuck out of there until they apologize. Noone should have to deal with that kind of treatment.

Quantum Physics: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
[+] 2 users Like Alex K's post
05-04-2015, 10:36 PM
(05-04-2015 10:22 PM)Alex K Wrote:  Being told that you have a demon in you by your parents, if you're 23, is reason enough to get the fuck out of there until they apologize. Noone should have to deal with that kind of treatment.

Agree totally it is abusive. But not everyone has the option of walking away. Hopefully he can find the strength to tell her to stop the emotional abuse.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
05-04-2015, 11:20 PM
I wish my kids were not religious.
Don't allow them to dehumanize, you deserve to be treated with respect. You've done nothing wrong. Stay strong and hope that with time, understanding and acceptance may follow.
[+] 2 users Like Biolizard's post
06-04-2015, 04:23 AM
(05-04-2015 10:36 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(05-04-2015 10:22 PM)Alex K Wrote:  Being told that you have a demon in you by your parents, if you're 23, is reason enough to get the fuck out of there until they apologize. Noone should have to deal with that kind of treatment.

Agree totally it is abusive. But not everyone has the option of walking away. Hopefully he can find the strength to tell her to stop the emotional abuse.

That's right, and if xe chooses not to walk away, we must be careful not to blame the victim. I just wanted to point out that it would be justified.