My family thinks I'm stupid

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2013, 08:02 AM
RE: My family thinks I'm stupid
If he keeps interrupting you just keep talking.
Don't let him. He assertive.

Oh, and try playing the "that's not very Christian" card.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-06-2013, 06:16 PM (This post was last modified: 24-06-2013 06:23 PM by cbb2274.)
(23-06-2013 01:01 AM)kim Wrote:  Oh I see, her faith may be strong but her religion is weak and she recognizes it. If she sees problems with her religion, you can be of great support to her. Let her know she doesn't have to have a "religion" in order to believe whatever she believes. Faith is faith and it doesn't necessarily have to depend on a particular dogma.

If she wants to keep going to church or participating in those activities, just tell her to go, get what enjoyment she can out of it, and keep her faith within herself - it will be more personal for her. She trusts you and it sounds as if you have a decent relationship with her. Let her know that you are in support of her to believe, so she can be herself. Also let her know that you hope she can do the same for you. When all is said and done, you both just want each other to be comfortable with your selves as individuals.

It's not about "religion", it's about faith. She has it, you don't... doesn't mean you're on opposite sides of humanity, just means you're different humans. Shy

She's a smart woman. I think she's coming to the right answers on her own. I know she wants me to feel like I can talk to her about it, but it still makes me uncomfortable. She told me that she wanted to talk to me about it because her mother wouldn't understand. I think raising me and my sister changed her worldview. She watched us grow up in a small southern town that was very different from us. We questioned things that other children didn't think twice about. She probably realized that she wanted answers to her own questions.

In a way, I don't want her to question her beliefs because I'm afraid it would be painful for her, but I often underestimate the people I love. I suppose she'll question her beliefs whether I like it or not.

I hope I haven't completely derailed the OP's thread.

"That's not the proof I want."
"You'll have such proof as exists. You are the only one responsible for your own wants."
- Isaac Asimov, I, Robot
[+] 1 user Likes cbb2274's post
24-06-2013, 06:26 PM
Bob Dylan Wrote:Come mothers and fathers
Throughout the land
And don't criticize
What you can't understand
Your sons and your daughters
Are beyond your command
Your old road is
Rapidly agin'
Please get out of the new one
If you can't lend your hand
For the times they are a-changin'.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
24-06-2013, 08:32 PM
(23-06-2013 01:32 AM)kim Wrote:  
(22-06-2013 07:31 PM)Derek Hammar Wrote:  You're not trying to verbally stab her, that's nonsense.

Ha - metaphor is a beautiful thing. However, it is good to know you got Cbb's back. Thumbsup

So Derek, what did you think of God Is Not Great?
We have a TTA book club and God Is Not Great was our first book to read. You can still post in the discussion thread. There is a whole literature forum if you are looking for good reads. Shy
Well, I'm still reading it. I'm in the middle of about four books right now, and I only read God is Not Great when I know nobody else is home. I just got to chapter six (Arguments from Design), I look forward to posting in the book club discussion. What other books are on your list, any Dawkins? I'm trying to get a hold of the origin of speciesBowing, and a few others on evolutionDrooling.

Against logic there is no armor like ignorance. -Laurence J. Peter
[+] 1 user Likes Derek Hammar's post
24-06-2013, 08:34 PM
Ok, dumb question, i've been on a few other forum sites and theu keep refering to the "OP". What's the "OP"?

24-06-2013, 08:56 PM
(24-06-2013 08:34 PM)Derek Hammar Wrote:  Ok, dumb question, i've been on a few other forum sites and theu keep refering to the "OP". What's the "OP"?

That's not a dumb question at all. It used to confuse me as well. It means "original poster" -- the person who started the thread.

"That's not the proof I want."
"You'll have such proof as exists. You are the only one responsible for your own wants."
- Isaac Asimov, I, Robot
25-06-2013, 08:00 PM
Ah ok, makes sense. Thanks

25-06-2013, 08:11 PM
"he always says I'm letting other people define my views" Bingo. That is exactly what your father is trying to do. Remind him that while he's pointing a finger, three are pointing back at him.
[+] 1 user Likes Takelababy's post
25-06-2013, 09:03 PM
(25-06-2013 08:11 PM)Takelababy Wrote:  "he always says I'm letting other people define my views" Bingo. That is exactly what your father is trying to do. Remind him that while he's pointing a finger, three are pointing back at him.

I agree, while others told you that there is no god, you still looked at the evidence for yourself and logically came to the conclusion that there is no god. Most everything we believe is because someone told us, but we believe because they can back it up with facts.

28-07-2013, 11:57 PM
I'm in a similar boat, except I haven't told anybody in fear of this type of response. I have a child on the way which makes revealing my views very difficult. I feel your pain though buddy.