My father died last week

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2014, 05:54 AM
RE: My father died last week
Sending my sympathy, it's hard to say goodbye to parents. Over the past 5 years I have had to say goodbye to both of mine.

It changes you in ways that you don't realize.

Hug

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2014, 06:01 AM
(17-04-2014 07:28 PM)FaceOfBoe Wrote:  My father died last week.
I'm sorry.

When my father died, it made me sad. But it made me much happier that he had lived. I never expected him to be immortal, and the process took so long that death came as much as a relief as it was a pain. I'll always miss him, but I'll always be glad that he lived for nearly sixty happy years. Although he didn't always look that happy when I was a kid trying to find where the limits lied :-)

I hope your dad got to enjoy his 69 years on this lump of rock and metal. Not necessarily music wise.
18-04-2014, 07:22 AM
I am very sad at your loss. Sad

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
18-04-2014, 09:05 AM
Sorry man Sad Glad he was such a great guy though Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
18-04-2014, 11:01 AM
Sorry for your loss.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
18-04-2014, 12:10 PM
This was part of the link that Freethought posted but I think it should be quoted directly.

"You want a physicist to speak at your funeral. You want the physicist to talk to your grieving family about the conservation of energy, so they will understand that your energy has not died. You want the physicist to remind your sobbing mother about the first law of thermodynamics; that no energy gets created in the universe, and none is destroyed. You want your mother to know that all your energy, every vibration, every Btu of heat, every wave of every particle that was her beloved child remains with her in this world. You want the physicist to tell your weeping father that amid energies of the cosmos, you gave as good as you got.
And at one point you'd hope that the physicist would step down from the pulpit and walk to your brokenhearted spouse there in the pew and tell him that all the photons that ever bounced off your face, all the particles whose paths were interrupted by your smile, by the touch of your hair, hundreds of trillions of particles, have raced off like children, their ways forever changed by you. And as your widow rocks in the arms of a loving family, may the physicist let her know that all the photons that bounced from you were gathered in the particle detectors that are her eyes, that those photons created within her constellations of electromagnetically charged neurons whose energy will go on forever.

And the physicist will remind the congregation of how much of all our energy is given off as heat. There may be a few fanning themselves with their programs as he says it. And he will tell them that the warmth that flowed through you in life is still here, still part of all that we are, even as we who mourn continue the heat of our own lives.

And you'll want the physicist to explain to those who loved you that they need not have faith; indeed, they should not have faith. Let them know that they can measure, that scientists have measured precisely the conservation of energy and found it accurate, verifiable and consistent across space and time. You can hope your family will examine the evidence and satisfy themselves that the science is sound and that they'll be comforted to know your energy's still around. According to the law of the conservation of energy, not a bit of you is gone; you're just less orderly. Amen."

-Aaron Freeman.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
18-04-2014, 12:51 PM
You should be totally guilt free - you stood by him and housed him during his decline - that is worth a million things you could have said to him.

When you get older yourself you will know just how important that is. You did the right thing all the way. Thumbsup

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
18-04-2014, 02:51 PM
Sorry to hear about you Dad, he does sound like he was a great one.

Guilty feelings are hard to have (I know, too) but your appreciation is really nice, I'm sure your dad felt that over the time he stayed with you and your family. Your words about science are very comforting and real, and that is good too. I find this comforting when I grieve as well.

Hope your family has some comfort over he next while. Hug
18-04-2014, 08:07 PM
My condolences.
The loss of a loved one is always a time for reflection of love past.
20-04-2014, 05:42 AM
Thank you all for your kind words. I do appreciate it, and I am sorry I can't respond to everyone.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Why are you still reading this line when it is obviously my signature line?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like FaceOfBoe's post